View Single Post
Old 8 Aug 2006, 22:31 (Ref:1677977)   #19
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by courageous
ASCAR / SCSA had big name drivers, reasonable size grids & quite a good marketing campaign in the first couple of years - it didn't catch on.
It didn't catch on because, quite simply, the money ran out which kept the big name drivers on the grid, with their big teams. The big money inflated the cost of the cars, and the cost of running them, and kept everyone else away. Catch 22.

Now it's fending for itself, but is cash starved. It's lean, mean, and there's a steady movement in the right direction. It's hoped to have up to 18 cars on the grid for the September meeting. If I get some funding, I hope to be one of them.

The crowd are the die-hard SCSA watchers, a hard core 3000 or so that make it to each round. With no bands playing as part of the day, a lot of other punters no longer come along to watch the racing as a bit of a sideline.

I still say, Mr Average in the street, likes to see 'angry cars', not wet f&rts.

Rob.