Thread: 2018 TCR UK
View Single Post
Old 29 Mar 2018, 06:49 (Ref:3811680)   #642
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
Too late for that now, the horse has bolted.

Quite simply they are trying to sell a product into a crowded market, they've dismally failed with marketing and the costs are not much of a saving over a well known household alternative. Add lack of a unique selling point, no big name drivers or teams and you're lacking box office appeal.

I have VIP tickets and the reality is I don't think I'm going to waste my time and money going... unless I'm seriously bored by then. Allotment could do with some work...
I think one thing it does show (and to be honest I don't think this is something we didn't already know) is the absolute dominance that the BTCC has on the UK racing scene in terms of marketing and exposure- Given the scenarios that 850Estate suggested a few posts back...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 850Estate View Post
Creates an interesting question. Put yourself in one of two scenarios:

1. You're a hot young talent, but underfunded (lets say a Jake Hill type).
2. Your a gentleman driver who won't be troubling the front end of the grid, but want maximum business exposure (lets say a Martin Depper type)

Given the greater prestige, coverage and audiences I can't really see why anyone would choose TCRUK over the BTCC.

A front-running car in TCR vs a Team Hard or AMD (with no disrespect intended to those teams) drive? Which would you choose?
....it genuinely does seem that the ambitious young tin-top racer would rather spend his/her budget on a season of finishing somewhere around 15th in the BTCC, presumably hoping that it will bring enough TV exposure to help find the sponsorship needed to buy a more competitive ride for next year, than taking a different route and actually standing the chance of winning something...