View Single Post
Old 19 Feb 2017, 23:07 (Ref:3713230)   #45
Colin McKay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Colin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridColin McKay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, all over and all in one piece albeit with a slightly modified nose from lap 1, race 1, 20 races, 7 practice sessions and 5 quallys ago.
Zef's engine never missed a beat although it wasn't particularly happy running on avgas which I had to resort to for the last couple of races as no 98 available south of Dunedin. Apart from the mishaps on day 1 (split sump & oil cooler) it consumed a grand total of just 250ml oil.
Iain's brilliant prep meant the only issues I had to deal with were a dodgy starter and clutch hydraulics, both of which were intermittent and was able to live with. When you consider that the car was an unknown quantity before the rebuild and we only managed 2.5 races with it last year, I reckon that's a pretty amazing result!
It wasn't all plain sailing, the first weekend was a trial of perseverance...but the biggest adrenalin rush came at Teretonga last Thursday when I was sitting in the car as we backed it off the top deck of the container and one of the ramps fell off - I can confirm the weight is a perfect 50/50 balance between front right and left rear. Only a small scuff on the bodywork and change of underwear for the guy watching me back who could have easily ended up underneath. Motorsport is dangerous they say.....
As for the driver, well I've had enormous fun, been bowled over by the generosity of other FJ folk and Kiwis in particular and learnt a helluva lot about the car which will be put to very good use when the proper engine goes in......then we can start breaking half shafts like everyone else!
I'll post some pics when I get home in a week or so.