Thread: HSCC DONINGTON
View Single Post
Old 16 Apr 2017, 22:18 (Ref:3727203)   #36
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chigley View Post
I agree but until the MSA put it in the regs we don't have a leg to stand on if protested over non-reg devices. I know that the MSV have red and green rear lights on their SC light bars. How that is regulated I don't know. I thought of using a small red/green lollipop device to use out of the car window, but it wouldn't be covered by MSA regs.
If drivers/clubs petitioned the MSA for a red/green system I would be in huge favour of it. Trying to be clear, decisive and authoritative with hand signals is not the easiest task.
There have been car mounted electronic message signs for year although maybe not flexible enough in capability for Safety Car deployment in their standard form.

However I can't believe is would be difficult these days to come up with a simple device and usage method.

At the most basic level, I assume, it's a matter of controlling the release of cars until the next car in line is the leader.

So you have a "pass now until number xxx" requirement (assuming the drivers known their numbers .... hmm, I see a potential problem already!)

So "Clear to pass" sign lets car by and a "No Pass # xxx" holds the leader.

At the simplest level that could be a Red/Green light for clear to pass and a 3 digit number display in red to keep the leader behind even if they are closely following some backmarkers or don't immediately appreciate that they are the leader - as per Colin's situation.

Assuming that the data is not being transmitted directly from race control to the signalling system keeping the Observer's job simple as far as message signs are concerned should be paramount. So a 3 position switch for the red/green light (Off, red, green) would suffice and the number display would require a simple keypad - hopefully just numeric but with any alpha keys that might be required in specific situations.

It doesn't appear to beyond the bounds of possibility.