View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2017, 23:32 (Ref:3770036)   #46
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan View Post
Yes but under what criteria does the FIA grant the super licence, 2 examples.

Mr "My Daddy is loaded" who is buying his drives in the best teams of that category, but is average at best when the race starts.
A smaller team is interested in Mr "My Daddy is loaded" as selling their 2nd seat would help their budget massively.

Or Mr "Natural Talent" who has worked damn hard finding my own sponsors get this far. He doesn't have a lot of backing, but the bigger teams are interested in seeing if he has what it takes. The chances are however that he may only get a few tests and possibly be farmed out as a third driver as part of an engine deal and get an FP1 or two if he's very lucky.
Damon Hill would not have made F1 under these rules, just did not have the money.

Perhaps if the rules were fairer, and the cars had a better chance of scoring points for money, then driver talent would become more important in the equation.

Not too many pay riders in MotoGP.