Thread: Driver Lewis Hamilton Champion
View Single Post
Old 1 Nov 2017, 22:07 (Ref:3778065)   #36
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH View Post
Welcome to the real world, where this happens EVERYWHERE. It is the current way of the world. I'll reserve judgement on his personality if/when I meet him and make a proper assessment.

And just a correction - the fans do not 'fund' his lifestyle any more than the man on the street pays yours. He is paid by Mercedes and has sponsorship deals (which pay for his salary indirectly). Just like every other top sportsman, and indeed you. If you look deep enough.

It interesting, but if people like LH or any top flight sportsman were not making money for the team, then they wouldn't be paid what they are. The team makes more money from them than they make themselves.
I have to disagree. Of course the fans fund his lifestyle, same as they do every sportsman. Mercedes only pay him because there is a market base of fans there that make it viable for them to do so. Without merchandising, sky subscriptions and merely people turning up, there would be no multi million pound sportsmen and women. Why do you think all the manufacturers are in F1, for the craic? Look at what Sky can give the Premier League. Why? Because of subscriptions - by fans. Who therefore fund the footballers 250k a week. Same as F1, same as any sport. The money comes from the fans.

Without the fans, Mercedes wouldn't see F1 as a viable marketing tool and wouldn't be there. Wouldn't be paying drivers and wouldn't be making money off them. It starts with the fans. Without them, there is no wealth in sport. It's just sport, same as a load of lads kicking a ball around in the park every Sunday.

You also don't have to meet someone to form a view as to whether you like them or not.