View Single Post
Old 17 Apr 2018, 20:17 (Ref:3816237)   #88
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Even the comparison to Sandown is a stretch. Sandown is simple, and though not totally flat, doesn't have massive elevation changes. But even so, the proximity of the barriers and the general surroundings gives you a sense of speed that you don't reliably get from the camera shots around The Bend.

Hopefully, they find some better camera positions by the time the Supercars round comes along, so they can provide that perspective more effectively than for the GT race. I'm about 20 laps in, and most of the back side of the course just meanders around and lacks distinct landmarks, so I'm still frequently wondering when they switch shots just where around the course I'm looking.

That's another thing about Sandown, it's simple, and it's fairly short, but still long enough, like Portland here in the States. Sandown is 1.929 miles, while even that shorter version of The Bend is 3.076 miles; there's simply a lot more space that has to be filled in order to keep the senses occupied.

And the only other active Australian circuit that I'd put in that very top echelon with Bathurst is Phillip Island.

I'm glad I don't get distracted by the fancy facilities. For instance, Silverstone may be considered the home of British motorsport, but as far as the track layout itself and how enthralling it is to watch a race, I'd rate it fifth at best, behind Brands Hatch GP, Oulton Park Int'l, Donington Park GP, and Thruxton.