View Single Post
Old 24 Jun 2006, 09:34 (Ref:1640215)   #69
ian beckett
Racer

ian beckett should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I personally feel that BMW GB had seen the writing on the wall becuse although spectacular, their cars had not really set the world alight in the BTCC and they would have known about the coming M3 which was always going to be more suited to the sprint format in our championship.The 635 was really all about endurance,reliability and strength in numbers rather than the balls out 20-30 minutes of crash bang wallop which the BTCC was?I guess they would have reasoned that it did not make sense to expect winning performance from a car that was soon to be outdated.The BMW GB teams cars were the original left hand drive Eggenberger built version plus two which they constructed and were known as CC29 and CC30. The first of these was used by James Weaver,thr second being that crashed heavily by Vince Woodman on its debut at Donington(this happened right in front of my wife and I,much to her alarm because it was a big impact!!I have photos of the wreck being towed away).Dave Cook wrote to me and explained the cause of the crash was due to faulty brake discs and a stuck throttle at the same time!! The car was then rebuilt around a new shell and a stronger steel cage.They felt this car was so new it was given the chassis number CC31.The Eggenberger built car was only ever a spare for the team.