View Single Post
Old 25 May 2010, 20:45 (Ref:2698198)   #25
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
You can rely on Bernie to get advice from tilke regarding any track, he seems to be the resident 'adviser' to any track design.

The actual tarmac and track foundation is a small part of the overall cost of a track for F1.
Land aquisition, access roads, parking, traffic managment, grandstands (even if they are empty on race day) for the projected crowds of people, pit facilities, control tower and associated bits of technology, the list goes on....and on.
The actual track itself is about 40% of the cost.
Thats why Monticello was never a starter in real terms. It would have cost more to upgrade than they have spent already.

Indianapolis was a budget opportunity because the facilities were largely in place.
Austin is not a big city in American terms, not like Dallas-Fort Worth or Houston so I really can't see where the money is going to come from.
Thats why Watkins Glen, Laguna Seca, Road Atlanta or Road America (Elkhart Lake) never would suffice. No one would take the gamble on cost.

I don't want to disappoint anyone but do I see cloud on the horizon? Is that another Donnington looming up?