View Single Post
Old 11 Jul 2017, 11:04 (Ref:3750373)   #3
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For someone looking to start racing with no ambition to climb the ladder in to Formula 1 you could not do better than to look at classic/historic racing. I have been involved in this sector for nearly 30 years and can tell you that for the most part they are the most friendly and helpful bunch of folks you could wish to meet. I agree with David to look beyond the pre-65 FIA type cars where development has pushed up the costs of acquisition and running of the cars. HSCC/HRSR also provide several series for 1960s and 1970s sports and saloon cars as well as proper (old) racing cars.
I would try a track day first to make sure you like it and I think there are some companies that can arrange 'arrive and drive' cars (not sure what they are called, though) but make sure you do it at one of the proper circuits rather than non-race venues such as Elvington, Bedford or the place in Lincolnshire that I forget the name.
One way of cutting costs is to find a friend or acquaintance that has similar ambitions and share a car. Many race series do two races for each category at race meetings or have 2 driver races.