Thread: Rules Future Rule Changes
View Single Post
Old 4 Apr 2017, 20:05 (Ref:3723804)   #2237
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some good points being made in the latter parts of this thread.

I keep reading them and seeing three worlds described:

1. Not dissimilar to what went before
2. Not dissimilar to what we have now
3. Radically different from anything that's gone before

If F1 is to keep hold of the special place it's clinging onto as the 'pinnacle' of motorsport, option 3 is the only feasible way forward. Some massive step similar to the appearance of the German aero-engined cars in the 30s, or stressed member engines in the 60s, or ground effect aero, or the acceptance of massively overboosted turbo motors. We haven't had a step change like that for some years although that's partly down to regulation keeping the engineers in check.

The biggest problem for Messrs Carey and Brawn is to get option 3 in full flow before the 'competition' does, without alienating the incumbents, and without making F1 totally inaccessible to the watching public. What a balancing act that's going to be!

When I say 'competition', I mean the number of series that are growing in popularity - maybe not here, mind! - while F1's popularity wanes. Endurance racing is on the up even if it is still a small niche, electric racing is here to stay whether you/we like it or not, and then there's all the other sports and pastimes competing for attention.

We live in interesting times, that's for sure.