Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 May 2024, 04:56 (Ref:4210125)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Monaco Grand Prix 2024: Grand Prix Weekend Thread - Round 8 of 24

This is your place to discuss one of the classic races. Divisive in terms of how people feel about its entertainment. However, it is one of the flagship Grands Prix in history.

Last edited by Born Racer; 24 May 2024 at 05:02.
Old 24 May 2024, 05:26 (Ref:4210127)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Monaco as a race often falls down in terms of passing and what we normally look for but it is utterly special to be able to see the cars so close (even the camera positions are closer) as the drivers wrestle them around with millimetric precision to achieve their lap times.

Have no doubt, Monaco tests the judgement and bravery of the drivers like nowhere else and for that reason alone, I personally can't get enough of it.

We saw last year that it wasn't a happy hunting ground for Red Bull (remember Max pin balling the car off the barriers to beat Alonso's qual time) and the big session of the weekend (Saturday qualifying) might just end up being something of an epic.

Much to look forward to.
Old 24 May 2024, 07:54 (Ref:4210146)   #3
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Can't wait to see this race. With McLaren getting closer to Red Bull, we could be in for a close contest
Old 24 May 2024, 08:09 (Ref:4210148)   #4
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F3 and F2 practice sessions yesterday were interrupted a lot by cars hitting the barrier at St Devote, both in the dry running and the later wet and then very very wet period.
It'll be interesting to see how the F1 cars get on - especially as some of the formerly tarmac run off areas have been cobbled!
Old 24 May 2024, 08:34 (Ref:4210150)   #5
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The series would be diminished without Monaco,precisely because it is so unsuitable for this type of car.It means they have to work really hard not to be at the back and it knocks spots off racing round barriers in a car park as far as atmosphere is concerned.I'm just relieved I don't have to go there and deal with the banditry of the people selling accommodation,food and drink as it is even more extreme than at other places.It would be great to see three drivers from different teams on the podium again.
Old 24 May 2024, 12:39 (Ref:4210176)   #6
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I do look forward to Monaco and it has a special place in F1, though I think that is more to do with nostalgia. Last year the weather intervened to spice things up, however looking at the forecast for Sunday, there will be no rain and no spice.
Old 24 May 2024, 13:34 (Ref:4210183)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I make an annual plea for the powers that be to make this race a "Race of Champions" style time trial event. Even the Porsche Super cup cars can't overtake around here. But I don't think my idea is very popular!
Old 25 May 2024, 16:05 (Ref:4210293)   #8
Guthrie
Rookie

United States
Atlanta
Guthrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After looking at the starting grid, I feel we will see a very interesting race tomorrow.
Old 25 May 2024, 19:40 (Ref:4210312)   #9
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Team Haas, both cars disqualified from qualifying because of illegal rear wings. Apparently it was DRS infringement . So both cars now start at the back of grid.

Last edited by ChrisA; 25 May 2024 at 19:45.
Old 25 May 2024, 20:48 (Ref:4210315)   #10
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Coming from someone who is not a huge fan of the venue, I really enjoyed that sessio. the challenge was palpable today and sets up a great order for the race tomorrow. Finding myself unexpectedly excited!
Old 26 May 2024, 09:56 (Ref:4210341)   #11
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The race is Charlie's to lose. But he needs to get to Sainte Devote in the lead. Piastri will surely be giving it everything he's got....
Old 26 May 2024, 12:47 (Ref:4210360)   #12
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisA View Post
Team Haas, both cars disqualified from qualifying because of illegal rear wings. Apparently it was DRS infringement . So both cars now start at the back of grid.
From Mr Steiner… funny fella..

“Although people make unpleasant comments when things I write do not come true, I am simply keeping readers up to speed of what is being discussed. If things turn out differently, it does not mean that these things were never discussed. Still, as I often say, you can take what I write or ignore it - and I really do not care. I’m simply trying to let you into the world of such discussions in F1.” - Joe Saward, Green Notebook from Saint-Doulchard
Old 26 May 2024, 13:05 (Ref:4210365)   #13
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
3rd time lucky for Charles Leclerc?
Old 26 May 2024, 13:06 (Ref:4210366)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Holy shyte. That looks bad!
Old 26 May 2024, 13:07 (Ref:4210367)   #15
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Red flag.

Perez' car has completely lost all its wheels. The track is covered in carbon fibre.

Magnussen tagged the back of Perez' car. Both Haas cars are out.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 26 May 2024 at 13:20. Reason: Edit
Old 26 May 2024, 13:30 (Ref:4210374)   #16
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Very optimistic pass attempt by Kevin. Especially given the potential for a race ban. And Ocon being Ocon.

Richard
Old 26 May 2024, 13:50 (Ref:4210375)   #17
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
A clean restart.
Old 26 May 2024, 14:23 (Ref:4210382)   #18
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
This lack of stops is interesting…with a few more seconds gap, Norris may be able to make a free stop?
Old 26 May 2024, 14:46 (Ref:4210385)   #19
v8supes
Veteran

v8supes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know what to expect from Monaco so never complained about it before but this, this is stupidly bad.
Old 26 May 2024, 15:04 (Ref:4210390)   #20
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by v8supes View Post
I know what to expect from Monaco so never complained about it before but this, this is stupidly bad.
And there was me thinking that this has turned into a really interesting tactical race which could pan out in several different ways.

Different strategies, different speeds, Ferrari and McLaren definitely way ahead of both Mercedes and Red Bull. As Monaco races go this is a pretty good one.
Old 26 May 2024, 15:20 (Ref:4210393)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Piastri has dropped back from Leclerc.
Old 26 May 2024, 15:29 (Ref:4210394)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Congrats to Charles Leclerc.
Old 26 May 2024, 15:30 (Ref:4210395)   #23
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Very much so. That was a really good controlled drive.
Old 26 May 2024, 15:35 (Ref:4210402)   #24
AndrewCherry
Racer

European Union
Horsham
AndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAndrewCherry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greem View Post
And there was me thinking that this has turned into a really interesting tactical race which could pan out in several different ways.

Different strategies, different speeds, Ferrari and McLaren definitely way ahead of both Mercedes and Red Bull. As Monaco races go this is a pretty good one.

The problem was that even with that, as soon as the cars on different strategies got back to running together, it was back into single file procession. Not their fault - these cars simply don't work around here, not for actually racing each other. It's undeniable that it's a real test of a driver - but it's more of a time trial than a race.
Old 26 May 2024, 16:17 (Ref:4210410)   #25
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
This lack of stops is interesting…with a few more seconds gap, Norris may be able to make a free stop?
I thought for a lap or two that he had the gap and that if he had switched tires he might have been able to challenge Carlos, but as Verstappen closed on Russell, Russell picked up the pace and the gap closed.

I truly almost fell asleep multiple times during the race.

Richard