Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 May 2013, 09:18 (Ref:3244243)   #1
321Go
Veteran

321Go should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LotusF1 in trouble

Suggestions that Lotus Technical Director James Allison is to leave the team, with an announcement due in the next day or so. This is very (very) bad news for Lotus F1.

Also, Kimi Raikkonen likes working with Allison, and if true, this will no doubt hurt Lotus' chances of retaining Raikkonen for 2014.

Last edited by 321Go; 8 May 2013 at 09:24.
Old 8 May 2013, 09:41 (Ref:3244253)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As before, where are these rumours coming from? True or not, there must be some substantiating evidence.
Old 8 May 2013, 09:53 (Ref:3244254)   #3
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
As before, where are these rumours coming from? True or not, there must be some substantiating evidence.
Does this help Peter? (Joe Saward has mentioned it in his blog)
http://www.joeblogsf1.com/
Old 8 May 2013, 10:22 (Ref:3244264)   #4
321Go
Veteran

News starting to spread about this now. Seems as though this rumour has substance.

Not happy. Money certainly talks. Lotus was on the up and up, but this will probably put a major dent in their ambitions.
Old 8 May 2013, 10:48 (Ref:3244275)   #5
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Cheese

JV to make comeback for Lotus with Elvis as Technical Director....Madam Armco's crystal ball can see it all....
Old 8 May 2013, 10:56 (Ref:3244279)   #6
321Go
Veteran

This just appeared on F1Times.co.uk

http://www.f1times.co.uk/news/display/07552
Old 8 May 2013, 11:05 (Ref:3244282)   #7
Flavio Galtieri
Veteran

European Union
Modena
Flavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFlavio Galtieri should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Perhaps both "Lotus in trouble" threads should be merged now?
Old 8 May 2013, 11:07 (Ref:3244285)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thanks to both Viva and you.
Old 8 May 2013, 11:08 (Ref:3244286)   #9
321Go
Veteran

So where will Allison end up? Ferrari is the favourite. AMG is also rumoured to have been chasing his services for a while. But my bet is, McLaren. They need someone to fill the hole left by Paddy Lowe.
Old 8 May 2013, 11:57 (Ref:3244302)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavio Galtieri View Post
Perhaps both "Lotus in trouble" threads should be merged now?
Now we have links, but the other thread will remain closed, it came from a different perspective.
Old 8 May 2013, 12:08 (Ref:3244308)   #11
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Both links don't say anything about financial trouble and a possible sell... what kind of trouble is that anyway ?
Old 8 May 2013, 14:40 (Ref:3244354)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Lol, Bon, the thread title doesn't mention finance!

However I should imagine losing one's chief engineer or designer is likely to be somewhat troubling. Whether, in turn, it leads to financial woes is another issue.
Old 8 May 2013, 15:03 (Ref:3244363)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett View Post
Lol, Bon, the thread title doesn't mention finance!

However I should imagine losing one's chief engineer or designer is likely to be somewhat troubling. Whether, in turn, it leads to financial woes is another issue.
I was talking about the other thread and the need to merge with this one !
Old 8 May 2013, 17:15 (Ref:3244421)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
in fairness to that other thread, i have also been unsure what exactly Genii Capital's long term interests are in the sport.

lots of stories of them buying interests in other automotive activities, including the Lotus stuff, but as of yet i still dont see an overall strategy linking everything together.

and they are an investment company so its only natural that rumous of them selling would crop up from time to time because thats what investment companies do...buy low sell high. so it wasnt really much of a prediction anyways but i suspect every time the team puts in good performance or snags a win there will be rumours of selling up.

shame they are losing Allison but Saward had some good words for his replacement. Nick Chester seems about the business and as mentioned the team does have a history of successfully promoting from within.

the question for me though is what (if any) impact this has on Kimi's future?
Old 8 May 2013, 22:55 (Ref:3244550)   #15
wnut
Veteran

wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!wnut has a real shot at the championship!
This is sad news for the whole of F1.

Will Allison have to spend an extended time on gardening leave?
Old 8 May 2013, 23:27 (Ref:3244555)   #16
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
A group called "Genii Capital" and "long term" do not compute. They are professional speculators and if you've got speculators that means they can go at any time.

Lotus hasn't the stability that other teams take for granted. OK, other teams might have speculators on their sponsorship roll or as minority shareholders but if you've got speculators running the team outright you've got instability and uncertainty. That's why I was never fully convinced by Lotus, win or not, the ownership is just a bit too shadowy.

Of course Bernie has handed the entire sport over to speculators but that's a topic for another thread.
Old 9 May 2013, 12:39 (Ref:3244815)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Hasn't F1 always been in the hands of 'speculators'?
Old 9 May 2013, 13:06 (Ref:3244829)   #18
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
If by 'speculators', you mean drivers and teams hoping to win the WDC and Constructors championship, then yes.
Old 9 May 2013, 13:41 (Ref:3244837)   #19
neiltb
Racer

Scotland
toronto
neiltb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
add merc to the list of teams in trouble. this looks like the famous vote of confidence!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22428532
Old 9 May 2013, 14:34 (Ref:3244853)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well, we all are in trouble...
Old 9 May 2013, 16:08 (Ref:3244887)   #21
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Xs7QCKuWwF...ALL+DOOMED.jpg
Old 9 May 2013, 16:23 (Ref:3244892)   #22
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
Old 9 May 2013, 19:20 (Ref:3244952)   #23
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by neiltb View Post
add merc to the list of teams in trouble. this looks like the famous vote of confidence!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/22428532
As soon as something like this appears then questions start they must have known that
Old 9 May 2013, 20:01 (Ref:3244971)   #24
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
All teams are in financial trouble really. It's a very cash intensive sport and that's just the planned expenditure with what's unpredictable being an entirely different kettle of fish.

I know its a different business model, different era but the fall of Brabham is instructive. WC and in less than 10 years complete oblivion.
Old 9 May 2013, 20:04 (Ref:3244973)   #25
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Well I wear glasses and it's never gotten me anywhere.......

(Sorry, I'll get me coat....... )