Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 Mar 2012, 05:41 (Ref:3037794)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Whincup to NASCAR"-Auto Action...NOPE!

This week's Auto Action has boldly declared that Mr Whincup is off to race in NASCAR.

To quote...
"There is strong evidence that Whincup has decided to forsake his shot at V8 immportality"

It seems that Mr Fogarty's theory was deduced by a few coincidences...

... that Mr Whincup is yet to sign his renewal with 888...
... that Mr Whincup has not been actively shopping for an alternate V8Supercar ride, uses quotes from the Nissan boss as being interested in Mr Whincup if he were available... but no thoughts or discussions had taken place...
... that "...Holden could help with entrees to GM Racing officials who could connect him with leading Chevrolet NASCAR teams..."
... that Mr Whincup is quoted as having an announcement due about his future, postponed.. and ultimately missed...

Did these guys connect the dots correctly... is Mr Whincup off to NASCAR, to join Mr Ambrose and co at the USA's biggest motorsport game in town...

... or is there another choice?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 06:39 (Ref:3037798)   #2
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Plenty of other choices I would have thought, some that spring to mind:

1.Stay with 888 (why would he go anywhere else in the V8 paddock?).
2.Have a crack at sports cars and USA/Europe that way.
3.Give another form of touring car racing a go - DTM or WTCC (although the WTCC cars are not great cars, it'd give him more of a profile internationally).
4. NASCAR & Auto Fiction can say "we told you so".
5. Other forms of competition such as rally or off road racing - Craig has shown that some of the skills are transferrable.

I'd also suggest that he's probably starting to think about alternatives to staying here and winning, winning, winning - they may involve a complete change but still racing or they could involve going in a different direction entirely.

Right now Fogarty is most likely guessing but he might also have heard a few things that make him look at the NASCAR option more closely.

Jamie's certainly young enough to start over again in NASCAR and work his way up as Marcos has done so it might all make sense to him.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 07:41 (Ref:3037803)   #3
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Shane001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Personally I can't see Whincup making it in Nascar. He's too soft and whinges too much, they'll eat him alive over there lol!

A better option imo would be sportscars in Europe, work his way up though FIA GT and into a seat at Peuguot or Audi for the Le Mans series. If he was good enough, made some quick connections, and had a few key opportunities go his way, he could nearly make it to F1, but he could be too old already.

Probably more money to be had in Nascar though?
Old 10 Mar 2012, 10:09 (Ref:3037832)   #4
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane001 View Post
Personally I can't see Whincup making it in Nascar. He's too soft and whinges too much, they'll eat him alive over there lol!

A better option imo would be sportscars in Europe, work his way up though FIA GT and into a seat at Peuguot or Audi for the Le Mans series. If he was good enough, made some quick connections, and had a few key opportunities go his way, he could nearly make it to F1, but he could be too old already.

Probably more money to be had in Nascar though?
Talent, he ain't short of, but at the ripe old age of 29, I think he has left his run a bit late, for anything except Nascar. There's no doubt he could do the job in any of the top shelf series. I'd love to see him get a chance in sports car racing, but can't see it happening. Peugeot is out, they don't exist any more. Audi have a stable full of stars and up and coming talent. Same for Porsche. I'm thinking he'd have to bring a sizable bank balance to get his foot in the door at any team at the top level to get an LMP drive, even in the LMS which is withering on the vine in the shadow of the WEC. He's king of the kids here, but would be a small (well, medium anyway) fish in a very large pond in Europe. For me, I think he would go real well in DTM if he could get a start.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 10:24 (Ref:3037837)   #5
LotusF1team
Rookie

LotusF1team should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He should definitely take the risk and try something over seas. There is no doubt if it didn't work out he could come back in a few years time and land a good V8 seat with little trouble.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 22:03 (Ref:3038052)   #6
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Didn't realise he was 29 already, so that'll put any possibility of F1 out of the picture. Europe will be expensive, even with an aussie sponsor to back him. Maybe Vodafone could fund his launch into Europe.

The more you think about it the more Nascar is the only real viable option if he wants top level and world recognised.
Old 10 Mar 2012, 22:52 (Ref:3038067)   #7
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can not see any postives about him going to Europe, apart from straight into DTM

America on the other hand has lots of opportunities if he can get a ride
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:14 (Ref:3038114)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The only realistic option is to go to Nascar.

WTCC is irrelevant and few drivers make a living from it. DTM, certainly feasible as well as Super GT.

But Nascar would be about it, assuming you wanted to make a living.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 02:35 (Ref:3038120)   #9
Mr Revhead
Veteran

New Zealand
New Zealand
Mr Revhead has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wouldn't be discounting sports cars. They are certainly taking off with more decent series and manufacturers announcing programmes. In fact I'm going to go go as far as saying sports cars are now the preferable class for makers
Old 11 Mar 2012, 03:22 (Ref:3038136)   #10
Micklegend
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
Micklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMicklegend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think he would be good in Nascar as he is very data driven and how technical it can be could be right up his alley.

I cant recall what age Marcos was when he went to Nascar, but on Jamies side is the lack of family to hold him back and potentially if he could get a Late model series run with some Truck racing in his first year, there is nothing to stop him going to the Nationwide series the year after.
Id love to see him head over to the states for a test with Marcos lower tier team, just to get a feel.

The thing for Jamie is that while he could keep winning, eventually the run comes to an end and Roland will look for the next big thing. Jamie has really nothing left to prove to the aussie crowd, so why not have a crack? Brighty tried open wheelers in the states, and while that may not be Jamies thing, looking to get into the Sprint Cup by age 31-32 will still see him get a few good years in over there.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:21 (Ref:3038149)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be sad for Whincup if Nascar is his only option
Old 11 Mar 2012, 05:34 (Ref:3038152)   #12
St00ge
Veteran

St00ge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Micklegend View Post
I think he would be good in Nascar as he is very data driven and how technical it can be could be right up his alley.

there is no data in nascar tho, only what the driver tells his crew chief..
Old 11 Mar 2012, 07:11 (Ref:3038176)   #13
GROUPA
Racer

GROUPA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about give him a guest drive in the Australian Porsche Cup guest car.

I would like to see him swap V8SC with DTM we get a DTM driver they get Whincup
Old 11 Mar 2012, 07:35 (Ref:3038186)   #14
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Whinky should follow his dreams, he has achieved all there is to achieve in V8s.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 10:09 (Ref:3038230)   #15
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One out of the blue would be Indycar...
Old 11 Mar 2012, 10:30 (Ref:3038237)   #16
formerf1champ
Veteran

Australia
Vettel's gearbox preparing bench
formerf1champ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
The thing for Jamie is that while he could keep winning, eventually the run comes to an end and Roland will look for the next big thing.
You state it as though Roland would replace Jamie? Since 06, Craig is 0-5 agianst Jamie in the series and, on the surface at least, only seems to match/better Jamie at Bathurst. How about replacing Craig with the "next big thing" instead? Keep Craig for Bathurst...With Jamie as well! Let Craig go to do his thing at Le Mans, Finke and other stuff he wants to do

Quote:
Jamie has really nothing left to prove to the aussie crowd,.
Maybe not to the Aussie crowd but, not that I know him personally, I think it pi**** him off that he hasn't won Bathurst as the lead driver.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 10:33 (Ref:3038240)   #17
emjaya
Racer

Aland Islands
in a house
emjaya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
I think he is only bored, not suicidal.
Old 11 Mar 2012, 23:53 (Ref:3038566)   #18
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos View Post
Are you suggesting a 'buy a drive' deal, Whinky is not Barrichello.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 03:01 (Ref:3038600)   #19
Racenut
Racer

Australia
Racenut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Roland has openly said that he wants his drivers to try other things so they dont get bored. Maybe JW can do some sports car enduros like CL does. It would be good to see them at the Daytona 24 next January.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 03:14 (Ref:3038603)   #20
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jamie's got the talent and work ethic to turn his hand to most tin-top formulas, but he'd need the sort of support like Marcos got from Ford when he went across. Ford and some personal sponsors funded him for the first couple of years. I'm not sure if the same support would be available for Jamie.

But, now in his 7th season, and Marcos is only just starting to become an occasional oval-track front-runner. Jamie would see that and everyone who knows him knows how hard it would be for him to not be winning, or in a position to win, week in week out.

With Triple 8s contacts, Europe would be more likely as they could arrange a professional drive for him in sportscars. I can't imagine he'd leave Australia to go race in another touring car series (except maybe DTM).

Lowndes has only just re-signed and, maybe, it's just the fine print that needs signing with JW & T8. Given the money that Courtney and Lowndes are on, he's probably making sure he's getting his fair whack for his on-track success, despite not having the profile of either of those two. And there's a new TV deal being negotiated, T8 probably want to know what that is going to be before forking out 1.5-2m dollars a year for a driver.

Or maybe come August Fogarty will be proven to be right.
Old 12 Mar 2012, 04:59 (Ref:3038622)   #21
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by eduardo1 View Post
T8 probably want to know what that is going to be before forking out 1.5-2m dollars a year for a driver.
No chance
Old 13 Mar 2012, 04:33 (Ref:3039154)   #22
eduardo1
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
eduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grideduardo1 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.R.T. View Post
No chance
What part is no chance? The 1.5-2m for Whincup?

Lowndes and Courtney are paid in that range with their current contracts.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 07:12 (Ref:3040115)   #23
Shane001
Racer

Australia
Admittedly Lowndes probably has more commercial/sponsor value than Whincup, but if I was Whincup and I wasn't getting at least as much as Lowndes based on my on track success, I'd be walking lol!

As for Courtney, I have absolutely no idea why he would be paid so much
Old 13 Mar 2012, 23:13 (Ref:3040643)   #24
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Multi year deall signed by Whincup to stay at 888, announced at 10.04 today

http://www.fluidpr.com.au/emailmarke...=592&L=2&N=623

Last edited by Downoz; 13 Mar 2012 at 23:21.
Old 13 Mar 2012, 23:22 (Ref:3040646)   #25
kittle
Veteran

kittle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And here.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/champi...3/default.aspx