Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 21 Sep 2003, 09:35 (Ref:725457)   #1
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TOCA Race Driver

Is it any good? Can anyone give me an assessment of the game?

What are the bad points?
Old 21 Sep 2003, 10:03 (Ref:725482)   #2
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great game on the PS2, appalling on the PC. I had the PS2 version and it handled great, great graphics, good story based game play and plenty and cars to drive on loads of circuits. I bought the PC version after I'd completed it because I saw it going cheap but for some reason the handling was terrible. If you've got a PS2 go for that version but if not you can have my copy of the PC version for a tenner if you like!
Old 28 Sep 2003, 23:24 (Ref:733361)   #3
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
some one who agress on the dodgy handling of the PC version. I can't drive the cars at all, the steering is way too over sensitive. I'm thinking about trading it in for the Xbox version
Old 29 Sep 2003, 11:19 (Ref:733939)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
It's probably the best wheel to wheel racer on the PS2, the story element of it is a complete waste of time and the AI is sometimes comically bad but on the whole it's a good game.

It could do with being a bit more flexible in the options for custom races but generally it's pretty good (make sure if you're doing a custom race to ramp up the difficulty setting otherwise you'll be out the front by the first corner and not actually have to race anyone).
Old 30 Sep 2003, 21:55 (Ref:735957)   #5
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all the opinions guys!
Old 18 Oct 2003, 16:20 (Ref:755192)   #6
G.Walker
Racer

Scotland
G.Walker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On Toca Race Driver Ive just won the Elite championship Class A and B in the Marcos and mini. . But their are still about 8 cars unlocked!!

WHY! I are totally baffled, there seems to be nothing else to do on the game! Do these cars have to be unlocked by cheats ?

Please can some one help me.....
Cheers
Old 11 Nov 2003, 07:48 (Ref:779549)   #7
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I've played it on my brother in-law's PS2 and it was alright. The dynamics weren't too bad and most of the tracks were visually spot on, except Bathurst, it was so different to the real thing that it was hard to recognise in places.

The story/dialogue is so corny/American it's just plain laughable.

In career mode, I can't figure out why it only counts the points from one year of each championship.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 14:44 (Ref:779884)   #8
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by G.Walker
On Toca Race Driver Ive just won the Elite championship Class A and B in the Marcos and mini. . But their are still about 8 cars unlocked!!

WHY! I are totally baffled, there seems to be nothing else to do on the game! Do these cars have to be unlocked by cheats ?

Please can some one help me.....
Cheers
Sorry if I'm being dense here but you have done all the one on one challenges haven't you? I can't remember which cars are unlocked by these challenges so I might be telling you nothing you don't already know.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 16:01 (Ref:779974)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some cars are unlocked in the Single day Events, and if you don't podium you don't get the car- and I messed up the first one and never got the Mini- or the TVR race. so I have to pay again, and again- and sometimes it is maddeningly difficult to get all the points, especially in the OzV8 series, and the stupid AmericanAll star-Nascaresque one, the oval physics are dreadful.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 17:40 (Ref:780093)   #10
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The game is pretty fun once you get the proper car setup. You need to spend an hour or two just to find the right setup for each car on each track!! However, I wish they had an arcade mode where you can just drive and not have to bother with car setup.
Old 11 Nov 2003, 18:23 (Ref:780125)   #11
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
really, is that why i have so much trouble? the worng set up- any ideas on the best ones for each track?
especially in the OZV8 championship i have a S h i t time getting around Philip Island, i have Adaleaide done well, and some of the other but man...
Old 12 Nov 2003, 09:02 (Ref:780772)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
I generally drive with the default settings and find them to be OK for the most part (gear ratios sometimes need a tweak but that's about it). The American Allstar stuff is dull, ovals are boring (but I found that series pretty easy), the Aussie circuits are all straightforward as well apart from Canberra (I hate street circuits), Phillip Island I've always found to be a good laugh (providing I get the braking points right).

I'd forgotten about the one day events! Shows you how much attention I pay to these things. Normally I just set up a quick custom race and have a blast round the track then switch it off (say hello to the worlds shortest attention span). The mini arounds Brands Hatch Indy circuit against Elises and TVRs is normally quite good.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 17:19 (Ref:782220)   #13
TuscanR
Racer

England
Hertfordshire
TuscanR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AND Ladies and Gents a sequel is on its way a mate of mine showed me some screen shots and you could see formula fords, truck racing, it certainly look more structured than the last game and graphically it looked better. Cant Wait!!
Old 13 Nov 2003, 18:34 (Ref:782293)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And an Xbox exclusive apparently.
Old 13 Nov 2003, 18:34 (Ref:782294)   #15
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's one link for those 4 screens.

http://www.simracingworld.com/screenshots/152/

All the cars on these screens are Fords, because at the time Codemasters had only secured the license of Ford products, but some 30 more is coming.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 14 Nov 2003, 23:18 (Ref:783777)   #16
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The tracks are very unrealistic, ToCA 2 was way better
Old 16 Nov 2003, 05:23 (Ref:784790)   #17
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have the PC version and it is very bad, just buy F1 challenge and download all the mods and tracks that are already there(and on the way), and you will have 100% more fun.
Old 9 Dec 2003, 09:16 (Ref:807298)   #18
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got the live enabled version of this game now (still haven't managed to "pass on" my pc copy though), and it is now quite obvious to me that the PC version really wasn't adapted well, as the sterring deffiently designed for a gamepad instead of a wheel. Haven't had a chance to play it online yet, got sucked into aa few hours of PGR2 last night.

so if you want to get the game, go for a console version, the pc one aint much cop...

Ed