Old 13 Oct 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1123782)   #1
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
KevinS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GPL and GPLEA issues

Hi!

I recently started playing GPL after I bought it back in '98. Back then I had only my keyboard and even making it to the Curva Grande on Monza was next to impossible, so I tossed it aside.

Now I have a different PC and that brings some problems. I wanted to ask for advice on the GPLEA forums, but I can't seem to post anything, it just asks for my login... repeatedly. So maybe someone on these forums can help me.

The issues:
1- I can only run GPL in 640x480, any other resolution and I only get a small square of sky near the top left corner of my screen.
2- The game crashes alot, mainly (but not only) when I go off the track. This happens anywhere within 15 minutes of playing, or faster on some tracks like the Nurburgring or Monaco.

Details:
P4 2.66GHz 512MB
Radeon 9000 series, latest driver, DirectX 9b
GPL patched to 1.2.0.2, D3D patch, CPU speed patch.
Sierra folder fast indexing disabled, video card set as per FAQ in GPLEA forums.

Could IRQ sharing be the problem and how do I fix that?
Should I run the game in OpenGL instead of Direct3d afterall?

I want to and but hrug:

Thanks...
Old 14 Oct 2004, 07:59 (Ref:1123970)   #2
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I am no expert as my run with GPL has been quite hassle free fortunately. Have you tried running it in OpenGL yet?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:33 (Ref:1124274)   #3
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
How do I change? It's not in the options menu in the game. I guess it's in one of the .ini files, but I don't know where and what to change.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1124355)   #4
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
you'll need an OpenGL patch . do a google search and you'l find it

Last edited by Dani Filth; 14 Oct 2004 at 14:58.

Ciao Marco
Old 14 Oct 2004, 21:38 (Ref:1124756)   #5
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands

Thanks! OpenGL fixed both problems.

One problem remains, but it's on the other side of the steering wheel.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 09:07 (Ref:1125028)   #6
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
he he that one is gonna go away with practice . lots of practice

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Oct 2004, 10:58 (Ref:1125109)   #7
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Even that doesnt help me!! Maybe when you say "lots" of practice... you mean an invinite amount of practice :P

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1125148)   #8
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
exactly ,, make it days/weeks/months/years in some extreme cases

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Oct 2004, 13:12 (Ref:1125225)   #9
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indexing must be enabled.
Old 15 Oct 2004, 15:28 (Ref:1125331)   #10
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
I haven't uploaded my times to GPLrank yet. Looking at the par times and my own, I'm at about +112. A crash free lap on the Nordschliefe should bring it well under +100 though. Not bad I'd say for 2 weeks work, regarding the trouble I've had.

Now I just need a force-feedback wheel instead of my R/C car transmitter...
Old 16 Oct 2004, 22:13 (Ref:1126234)   #11
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Hmmm yes, that could be useful...
Old 24 Oct 2004, 19:24 (Ref:1134105)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Re: GPL and GPLEA issues

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinS
1- I can only run GPL in 640x480, any other resolution and I only get a small square of sky near the top left corner of my screen.
I'm having this problem as well, only it happens in any resolution. It was fine before. What exactly do I need to fix it?
Old 24 Oct 2004, 19:42 (Ref:1134131)   #13
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ah, Open GL has fixed it for me too. Yay
Old 24 Oct 2004, 20:22 (Ref:1134171)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Open GL is sooooo much better than D3D - IMO.
Old 24 Oct 2004, 20:29 (Ref:1134183)   #15
917Addicted
Racer

917Addicted should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Yes, but you don't get pribluda to work
Old 24 Oct 2004, 23:54 (Ref:1134371)   #16
KevinS
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Well I'm back to 3D3.
I had a few new problems with OpenGL: My mirrors didn't work (black with flashing colors) and every time I pushed a button or started driving from standstill (incl shift up or down) the game slowed down for 3-4 seconds which was really anoying. It wasn't anoying until I got my wheel though, since I had to use automatic gears up to then. Last of all my FPS never got over 20, even on 640x480 with a lot of graphics options turned off.

I don't know what I changed exactly while I was running OpenGL, but all my problems with 3D3 are over, no new problems added. I guess changes in my core.ini did the job.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 00:19 (Ref:1134387)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
It depends on your system really...
D3D looks a lot better than OpenGL on my system, but OpenGL gives greater performance.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 07:32 (Ref:1134595)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by 917Addicted
Yes, but you don't get pribluda to work

Its not as good, I know, but HOD is OK for me. When I got my new graphics card I tried D3D again and couldn';t see any real difference in quality - aside from the poor framerate.
Old 25 Oct 2004, 18:57 (Ref:1135493)   #19
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
i couldn't get pribluda to work in d3d .. no ideea why ...

btw . how do you turn indexing on ?? .. must you have NTFS file system ??

Last edited by Dani Filth; 25 Oct 2004 at 18:58.

Ciao Marco
Old 25 Oct 2004, 19:59 (Ref:1135570)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Yes. I believe so anyway.

Somehow I ended up on FAT32 with my XP install and I've never bothered to convert it, so I can't help you with the indexing thing.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 12:45 (Ref:1136421)   #21
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
You just right click on your gpl.exe and go to properties>advanced. you'll see a checkbox for it there.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 16:43 (Ref:1136808)   #22
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
OK, I bought GPL a few months ago, and from the beginning I was using D3D. Now, as I have downloaded a few of the newer tracks, running those circuits with D3D causes an inconsistant frame rate. Not slow, just inconsistant. I decided to give OpenGL a try to see if it would provide a more stable experience. I'm satisfied with the performance in OpenGL (A little blurry, but I figure that is closer to the sense of human depth perception than the always-clear D3D), but the mirrors are incredibly choppy. They run at about half the framerate of the rest of the simulator. Is there any way to correct this?
Old 26 Oct 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1136811)   #23
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
By the way: check your power settings. Your machine may be running in an energy conservation mode that restricts the performance of your processor. Make sure that you're getting the optimum performance out of your computer.
Old 26 Oct 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1136930)   #24
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
i finally got pribluda to work on my "new" pc .. and i'm yet to try the opengl version . .. no indexing for me . i'm using FAT32

Ciao Marco
Old 27 Oct 2004, 09:31 (Ref:1137508)   #25
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have a slight graphics issue with GPL. When I startn it up and go through the menus, everything is fine. But when I come back from a race, all the letters and numbers on the menus appear blurry and blocky.

Any ideas? I can get a screen grab if you want.