Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Mar 2004, 00:25 (Ref:905425)   #1
Average Punter
Veteran

Australia
a drug store in Wagga
Average Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAverage Punter should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Vodafone and V8 Supercars

In another thread about TKR, evomike has mentioned an aborted HRT/Vodafone deal.

"Vodafone are still involved at a lessor degree after HRT tried to back door TKR during the off season which has resulted in neither party now having Vodafones full support in the V8 Supercar arena"

I never heard anything about it. Is this correct??? And what would Moyso say about them dealing with Vodafone rather than his beloved Siemens Mobile. (Are Siemens even there this year?)

My main question is how can we afford to keep burning big spending sponsors like Vodafone???
Old 15 Mar 2004, 00:50 (Ref:905441)   #2
Ozfords
Racer

Australia
Blue Mountains
Ozfords should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Siemens make the phones and Vodafone provide coverage for phones. Why would the two have any problems, its like Pepsi and KFC having a whinge.

Ozfords
Old 15 Mar 2004, 00:52 (Ref:905443)   #3
Dingo
Racer

United Nations
Dingo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well you can't legislate against greed and selfishness...the big teams will always go after the big sponsors because unfortunately the only way to be competitive is to have as much money as you can get your hands on. Talent will only take you so far in the new motor sport economy.
Old 15 Mar 2004, 08:31 (Ref:905596)   #4
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Last I heard Moyso was off to parts Telstra.. having left Siemens long behind

HRT was negotiating with Vodafone for sponsorship for 2004 for their 2 cars, however it seems something didnt work out, as the data telemetry system still uses Optus according to the team website.

I think you might find the TKR involvement on a funding level was disproportionate to the amount of signage space achieved, so while having a blue chip brand on the car is a positive encouragement for others to join the party, free rides dont always pay the bills.
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 15 Mar 2004, 08:59 (Ref:905621)   #5
rdmdog
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, NSW, or a track near you
rdmdog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would not in any way be the first time a sponsor would have been "Acquired" by a larger team.

Some more odvious than others.........:confused:
Old 15 Mar 2004, 09:06 (Ref:905628)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It was rumoured to have been on the cards in off season, with a number of sponsors with teams receiving proposals from other squads in the circus.

For the most part, these seemed to turn turtle, with new and strengthened deals being announced for some such sponsors.

You roll the dice I suppose, and if you are lucky enough to win a new sponsor thats great, but I wouldnt think the reputation stays well for long if sponsor poaching is the norm rather than going out to get their own deals....
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:31 (Ref:905764)   #7
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Leave the lid on the can of worms, mate! It's not worth the hassle.

Vodafone have walked, so it seems, or at least moved somewhat away from one or both teams.

The idea of trying to sponsor burgle was interesting this year more than most.

A classic example of sponsors changing teams would be the JFR/Betta situation. Now look what Betta do!
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:34 (Ref:905765)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Vodafone havent walked away from TKR by any stretch, the car will again be the '021'-mobile for the 2004 V8 Supercar Championship Series presented by platform sponsors Victoria Bitter & Telstra Bigpond...

(Try saying that 10 times quickly!)
Old 15 Mar 2004, 11:40 (Ref:905772)   #9
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LMAO - Especially after 2 gallons of Diet Coke to numb your tongue! :P
Old 15 Mar 2004, 12:04 (Ref:905791)   #10
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Moyso = ?
Old 15 Mar 2004, 12:59 (Ref:905852)   #11
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dave 'HRT' Moy Datto. Currently known as VY Clubby on the conrod site
Old 16 Mar 2004, 03:34 (Ref:906631)   #12
V8 Superdave
Racer

V8 Superdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was, but wasn't sure Kieron... thanks for clearing that up.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 05:52 (Ref:906703)   #13
smithers
Racer

Australia
smithers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good old Dave. He actually seems to be behaving as well. Well for him anyway. A few of his posts actually contained facts and resonable thoughts, good on him.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 05:36 (Ref:908895)   #14
Just Do It!
Veteran

Seems that perhaps more than just TKR and HRT tried to get up the Vodafone skirt.

You do have to wonder why Vodafone don't do V8 Supercars...??
Old 18 Mar 2004, 08:43 (Ref:908986)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Um, because Bigpond is a Telstra brand?
Old 19 Mar 2004, 08:53 (Ref:910435)   #16
Just Do It!
Veteran

Yes, but surely that would be more reason.

Vodafone in Australia have nowhere near the market share that they do in NZ, which is now at a level where it is approaching their target.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 11:16 (Ref:910574)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Vodafone are not ambush marketers... they traditionally havent shown an interest in being so either.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 13:30 (Ref:910726)   #18
Bigguy
Racer

Bigguy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Vodafone are not ambush marketers... they traditionally havent shown an interest in being so either.
Especially after that streaker episode at the footy!

Last edited by Bigguy; 19 Mar 2004 at 13:30.
Old 21 Mar 2004, 01:38 (Ref:913195)   #19
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
Vodafone are not ambush marketers... they traditionally haven't shown an interest in being so either.
Maybe they gave up after a certain World Cup Rugby match in Brisbane I attended last year where everyone outside the ground was given a Vodafone sun-shield, which were promptly confiscated by the security guards at the gate, and once inside, everyone was given Telstra banners.