Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 21 Dec 2000, 23:06 (Ref:53735)   #1
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
has anyone got any news on what ant is doing in 2001 - surely he will get a ride
Old 22 Dec 2000, 10:21 (Ref:53788)   #2
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think he had a couple of options of 250 rides. Just looking it up now.
Old 22 Dec 2000, 11:47 (Ref:53805)   #3
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have received a reply from the media person, Mike Porter.

Thanks for your e-mail & interest in Ant's racing.

As yet Ant's 2001 racing program is not yet finalised. There are options
currently under consideration and negotiation. Once this matter is
settled an announcement will be made as soon as possible.

Please note that Ant's Honda NSR250 ride for 2000 was not finalised
until February this year.
Regards
Old 22 Dec 2000, 19:53 (Ref:53858)   #4
Valentinik
Rookie

Valentinik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
West is part of a two man team in the King of the Mountains Classic on a Honda XR650 in Australia, as he's a bit decent off road by all acounts.
Quoted in UK MCN "I didnt have a ride for last season finalised until February, so i'm not overly worried. I want a factory bike because I believe I can keep improving."
Old 24 Dec 2000, 16:34 (Ref:54076)   #5
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
spanish $$$$$ aside, ant would do better than alzamora who has a factory nsr in 2001 250cc gp
Old 1 Jan 2001, 20:52 (Ref:55582)   #6
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You seriously think that Westy can do any better than Alzamora in 250's in 2001?
West was OK this year but was usually the slowest NSR at tracks that even Katoh didn't know that well.
Face it, while the Spanics are in charge the likes of Alzamora, Cardoso, Barros, Gibernau and even Criville are always going to get the rides in GP's
People forget how mediocre Criville was for about three years after winning in 92...
Old 2 Jan 2001, 10:17 (Ref:55739)   #7
elephino
Veteran

This would be the same Anthony West who had injuries for most of the year, rode from bad qualifying up to top 6 positions, lead a race or two, had basically a year long battle with Waldmann and finished easily within the top 10 of the championship on his second year of 250s and first year on a decent bike?
Old 2 Jan 2001, 14:41 (Ref:55784)   #8
dododo
Rookie

dododo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Amen to that. We need guys like him.
Old 3 Jan 2001, 00:12 (Ref:55899)   #9
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We don't need guys like West at all. He was only there because Doohan thought he was good, and he soon cahnged his tune when Rossi came on the scene.
If he was that good why did he not get the Advance 500 ride, I suppose he is better that Chris Walker, or even a learning year on the twin that young Haslam has got.
To say he battle with Waldmann is insane, Ralf is collecting his pay cheque and he also has won races, he is in the twilight of his career.
Compare him to Katoh, he was on the same bike after all!!!
Old 3 Jan 2001, 08:21 (Ref:55933)   #10
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sorry Chunder, does not compute

West was on a factory bike last year but as the definite number two in the team. He is young, younger than Kato and needs the crew to help him through setting up the bike. It's only his second season in one of the most competitive of classes. And he finished consistently in the top 10 race after race.

Give the guy a break.
Old 3 Jan 2001, 23:36 (Ref:56030)   #11
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
We don't need guys like West at all....your dead right chunder, why should a 19 year old world number 6 be on the world gp tour

Compare him to Katoh, he was on the same bike after all!!!.....katoh had a great year, but he has been ridding a factory backed nsr honda for 4 or 5 years in japan-he has more experience on the bike and racing in general.
Old 4 Jan 2001, 22:43 (Ref:56118)   #12
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
Katoh may have known the bike but he didn't know a lot of the tracks (unlike Anthony). I am not disputing that West is good, only that just coz he is an Aussie, backed (anymore?) by Doohan he should get a ride every year. Alzamora is a World Champion on by no means the quickest RS125 out there, I don't really rate Ukawa as he falls off every time he is pressured, he is a modern day Shinichi Itoh.
I just think that with a factory bike he could have done better. Harada, Biaggi, Waldmann, Capirossi etc all won races in their first couple of years in much more competitive fields of riders at a similar age.
I am sorry but West hasn't.
Old 6 Jan 2001, 01:51 (Ref:56476)   #13
dododo
Rookie

dododo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not an Aussie but a Cloggy and i'm no particular fan of Doohan either but West has a spectacular style, is aggressive and is fun to watch. I'm enjoying his eagerness. So i don't give a toss about his earlier competition being not as fierce as the other guys have encountered(although I doubt it) and I don't care if he'll never be a world champion(a lot of guys don't). He makes for fantastic battles with other racers. Besides that.... he's 19..... he's got all the time in the world
Old 6 Jan 2001, 19:07 (Ref:56747)   #14
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
ant at worst can be the barros of the 250's, but he is 19 and better than that, us aussies have been starved of quality 125 & 250 motogp riders