Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Mar 2005, 03:29 (Ref:1252132)   #1
Treadman
Rookie

Treadman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Marlboro & Ferrari after 2006

Because tobacco ads are banned after this F1 season Marlboro are considering purchasing all the advertising space on the Ferrari. They plan to turn the Ferrari completely RED. Basically making it look like a Jordan only all red.

Thoughts?
P.S. “If your watching the Malaysian GP and Bahrain GP from BRISBANE on channel 10 make sure you have your mobile phone near by!” (I think it may be a competition).
Old 15 Mar 2005, 06:20 (Ref:1252164)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is an old story which has been banded about for a while.

It may happen, it may not!
Old 15 Mar 2005, 11:13 (Ref:1252300)   #3
WebberForWDC
Veteran

Australia
Australia
WebberForWDC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But you can see lots of plain red cars on your local freeway...

I don't think it would happen!
Old 15 Mar 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1252313)   #4
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think a more likely Scenario is that either Ferrari will take Route where there is the "Be On Edge" for benson and hedges or something like that.

Plain red doesnt associate people with marlboro, but if they put something like Karlzoro or More - Bra.

If they were really smart, they would start up a small subsidiary company in retailing... call it "Marlbaro".. You register the company as Marlbaro Pty Ltd..

You open a small number of small milk bars around london... and happen to be sponsoring an F1 team. Marlboro gives the money to the milk bar chain that just happens to have a similar name but is 'legally' a different company.

Surely if there was a company that was not in the tobacco ban .. my milk bar example "Marlbaro".. they would be able to sponsor a team.

I think the legal system would have trouble banning a company from sponsoring Formula 1 just because it has a similar sounding name.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 11:51 (Ref:1252320)   #5
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=jasonhill9884]I think a more likely Scenario is that either Ferrari will take Route where there is the "Be On Edge" for benson and hedges or something like that.[QUOTE]

As I understand it they will not be able to use anything that implies the tobacco brand - eg a mis-spelling of the brand name or even other words in the lettering or presentational 'style' of the brand. I believe this also extends to logo's, so Marlboro couldn't run with only the white chevron and no branding.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1252368)   #6
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure Marlboro's lawyers are looking into the small print in considerable detail right now, finding a potential loophole. Something like setting up a company called Marlborough may well be possible unfortunately.

Really I'm hoping the Ferraris will go back to the classic scarlet in 2006.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:18 (Ref:1252372)   #7
Mathias
Veteran

England
Buckinghamshire: home of the British GP!
Mathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMathias should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this whole thread is a pile of toss, so pardon me if I add to the toss and say: if Phillip Morris (the company that owns Marlboro) opened a supermarket called "Marlboro" and started marketing the "Marlboro Supermarket" brand around the world, but carried on selling fags too, surely they could advertise their supermarket, that just happens to sell own-brand fags, on a F1 car?

Actually forget I said all that. I don't really care!
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1252375)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Rather than looking for loopholes, let us just be pleased tobacco sponsorship is on its way out of F1.

There are other companies - such as Richard Branson's Virgin empire who have said they may come in once the fags have been forced out.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 13:49 (Ref:1252410)   #9
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
I do wonder how lawyers could stop Ferrari running a red and white car in Marlboro's precise shades, with or without a chevron. After all, presumably Ferrari can paint their cars any colour they want?

(I think hoping for plain rosso corse may be a little optimistic.)
Old 15 Mar 2005, 14:05 (Ref:1252467)   #10
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion Ferrari will be yes red, but because of Vodafone.
Infact the budget they put into Ferrari is increasing every year and it is now almost as much as Marlboro.
Unless Philips Morris want to add some other brand of the company, Vodafone will be the main Ferrari sponsor.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 15:42 (Ref:1252537)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It'd be very frustrating if Marlboro bypass this law in any way. I know for some time in the UK they advertised Marlboro Clothing, a sneakily-made subsidiary which basically made products purely for the sake of advertising, as the board wasn't strictly advertising Marlboro cigarettes. Fortunately the Government cracked down on that (I suspect Benson & Hedges paid them to do so), but there must be other options they can find. Let's just say I wish I had as much faith in people's good nature as KB appears to.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 16:20 (Ref:1252571)   #12
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as F1, and esp Ferrari dont go down due to lack of sponsors, I feel cigarette sponsorship shud be on its way out. Will the anti-tobacco ban going to affect F1 hugely? (Sorry, if this is already a too-much debated topic in the past)
Old 15 Mar 2005, 17:07 (Ref:1252608)   #13
Formula Juan
Racer

Formula Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
More - Bra.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 18:14 (Ref:1252685)   #14
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There is so much awareness of Ferrari and Marlboro it will make no difference as long as the car is still red, it will always be asociated with the cigs. Some of these sponsorships stick. Lotus was never Lotus after the early 70s, it will always be JPS Lotus. Also Silk Cut Jaguar. Dont think West will stick in the mind but Marlboro Mclaren, there is another one.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:29 (Ref:1252768)   #15
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Ferrari return to all red all power to them. Just make sure it is the traditional Ferrari red and not the perverted stuff they run right now.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:40 (Ref:1252782)   #16
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
foreversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridforeversideways should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Amen to that
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1252786)   #17
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Look at what Peugeot's WRC team were running - the white Marlboro logo with black stripes - similar to a barcode on them - the full width of the logo. I feel if there's anyway Marlboro will continue it could be like that surely, most people would know it is Marlboro.
Old 15 Mar 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1252787)   #18
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathias
I know this whole thread is a pile of toss, so pardon me if I add to the toss and say: if Phillip Morris (the company that owns Marlboro) opened a supermarket called "Marlboro" and started marketing the "Marlboro Supermarket" brand around the world, but carried on selling fags too, surely they could advertise their supermarket, that just happens to sell own-brand fags, on a F1 car?
I don't think so.

Camel used to use their brand for all kinds of items.
But because the brand name was related to cigarettes, advertising for each of those products (and life-styles) was outlawed when advertising for tobacco was forbidden (some 10-15 years ago, IIRC. Exceptions have been made for sports for a couple of years, and additional exceptions were made for F1 after that for another couple of years).
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:22 (Ref:1252877)   #19
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am of the mind that with out Marlboro ferrai will be Ferrari or
Enter CocaCola
Old 15 Mar 2005, 21:45 (Ref:1252902)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is a whole load of BS. I think the main solution would be banning tobacco all together. After all, if it's so bad for your health, why should it be legal?

Instead EU does half-assed things like "banning sponsorship". Kids at school don't smoke because it says so in a car.

But I'm off the point...
Old 16 Mar 2005, 06:49 (Ref:1253123)   #21
Treadman
Rookie

Treadman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is a real possibilty

Firstly, you can't just change the name slightly to ie. Marylboro. That's still illegal, but there are no laws banning red cars.

The fact is everyone associates ferrari with marlboro and the colour red. And it would be an odd thing to see a plain red ferrari b/c we all know that ferrari have no difficulty attracting sponsorship. ie. unlike Jordan

Therefore evrybody would be talking about the plain red ferrari and hence marlboro achieve their aim.

It is also a fact the marlboro do not intend to end their relations with ferrari after 2006.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 08:27 (Ref:1253159)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I know I'm not the man in the street, but I don't associated the red of Ferrari with Malboro - even when it goes more orangey! On the other side I shall always remember JPS Lotuses and Marlboro McLarens!
Old 16 Mar 2005, 13:41 (Ref:1253375)   #23
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I know I'm not the man in the street, but I don't associated the red of Ferrari with Malboro - even when it goes more orangey! On the other side I shall always remember JPS Lotuses and Marlboro McLarens!
add to that Gold Leaf Team Lotus and Yardley Mclaren not to to mention Elf Team Tyrrell, Marlboro BRM, etc., etc.....but if Ferari go all red then pray it be traditional rosso corsa...
Old 16 Mar 2005, 15:27 (Ref:1253467)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think F1 teams would be better off just getting away from tobacco money completely - they'll soon wish they'd done it years ago...there are billions of dollars out there that don't want to be associated with smoking.
Old 16 Mar 2005, 16:53 (Ref:1253521)   #25
foreversideways
Veteran

England
Bramhall
As far as i remeber Yardley never made FAGS