Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > North American Racing

Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:22 (Ref:1256716)   #1
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sebring Winners and Losers

So the Sebring 12 Hours is over for another year and the sportscars racing year is underway. So who are the winners and losers from yesterdays events:-

LMP1

Winners

Champion Audi:- As strong as ever they are going to take a lot of beating
Dyson:- They have finally finished one of the blue ribbon races in a podium postions

Losers

Rollcentre:- A new car and engine package, they where problems, but I think they will sort them out before Spa.

LMP2

Winners

Kruse Motorsport:- Where did that performance come from,
I don't think anyone saw it coming either
Miracle Motorsports:- Another strong performance and debut win for Kumho Tyres

Losers

Lola:- Oh dear a bad debut for the B05/40, lets just hope they can get car sorted and quickly

GT1

Winners

Aston Martin:- A fantastic performance on there debut, it looks like the DBR9 is going to give the Corvette's a run for there money
Corvette:- A bit of bad luck during the race but it looks like the C6-R is starting where the C5-R left off
Pacific Coast Motorsports:- A strong performance on there race debut

Losers
Maserati:- Oh dear it went wrong didn't it

GT2

Winners
TVR:- A fantastic performance by the boys from Blackpool, I think they have booked there tickets for Le Mans.
J3 Racing:- Looks like they have made a lot of progress over the winter
Petersen / White Lightning:- A strong performance what more can you say.

Losers
Alex Job:- The mighty Alex Job ran it to problems that doesn't happen very often
Spyker Squadron:- The cars are still very fragile.

Anyway thats my thoughts discuss.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:33 (Ref:1256737)   #2
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't know how you can say Maserati were losers Rob...i mean they did win the "Invitation" class...

Agreed though, great effort by AM on their first race...and those Spykers are still so fragile.

Last edited by kdr; 20 Mar 2005 at 10:39.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1256742)   #3
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
I don't know how you can say Maserati were losers Rob...i mean they did win the "Invitation" class...
Now there's a suprise.....
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:48 (Ref:1256765)   #4
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Beyond AM and Corvette, the great winner of this race is the GT1 category : what a show ! And when you remember last year LM GTS race, we could expect something special for this year (in FIA-GT, in ALMS, in LMES and at LM).

A special bravo for Aston Martin, though : boys, you made my day ! *applause*
Old 20 Mar 2005, 10:50 (Ref:1256770)   #5
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdr
You mean the "IMSA" category ?

Oooh, I get lost, I get lost
Old 20 Mar 2005, 12:01 (Ref:1256861)   #6
PascaLM
Race Official
Veteran

France
Near Blois, France
PascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FamePascaLM will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Maserati was about 2" per lap behind the best GT1. Without 60kgs, it should have follow the Corvettes and Astons. I still don't understand why Maserati officials didn't simply decide to cut off a little 2,5 cm of body work at each side of the car.

In any case, the race in GT1 category will be splendid at Le Mans.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 12:17 (Ref:1256873)   #7
Sean McInerney
Rookie

Sean McInerney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can anyone fill me in on what happened to the Kruse LMP2? I stopped watching at 11.30pm and they were still leading, came back with 30 mins. to go and things had changed completely.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1256895)   #8
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed!

What a race by the Astons! Even when the Vettes had problems I can't wait to see them collide at Le Mans. I agree with Pascal, if Maserati want to compete they need to do their homework. Running like this is good for nothing. A pity that ALMS has so few LMP2s running all the way. Spyker...hmmmm Coronel was claiming it was justa shakedown in radioLM and saying he was satisfied with the 2'08''. will they make it to LM???
Cannot wait for Spa!!!!!!!!!

Gabriel
Old 20 Mar 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1256913)   #9
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdjones
Losers
Maserati:- Oh dear it went wrong didn't it .
Im not sure about that . I reckon that was sandbagging to the highest degree . Just watch that car over the next few rounds !!!
Old 20 Mar 2005, 13:44 (Ref:1256919)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd say the biggest losers were Dyson.

After the amount of cash spent on that Lola/AER it is still a complete and utter dog

At best, it is only competitive over the 2.45hr races.

The sooner Dyson ditch this car the better.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1256927)   #11
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
And replace it with what? There isn't really anything outside of an Audi which is going to be past its sell by date soon that's particularly better...
Old 20 Mar 2005, 14:07 (Ref:1256931)   #12
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo
And replace it with what? There isn't really anything outside of an Audi which is going to be past its sell by date soon that's particularly better...
A Pescarolo beated one of the Audis last year. And I'm quite confident for next June : the Audis will have a tough job with the Zyteks and the Courages, not talking of the brand new factory Dome.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1256949)   #13
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirenzo

Dyson will obviously have to wait until next season now, but theres no getting away from the fact that the Dyson Lola will be very lucky to win a single race this season.

Its quick for an hour or two, but then the gremlins hit.

Last edited by JAG; 20 Mar 2005 at 14:32.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1256951)   #14
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The biggest winner IMO was the ALMS. What a superb race. Nice to see the Aston Martins so competitive from the start. The finish had me on the edge. The in-car shots of McNish knifing through the field in his attempt to catch the sister Audi were great.
Really enjoyed that race.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 20 Mar 2005, 14:41 (Ref:1256964)   #15
Frango
Rookie

Italy
Milano
Frango should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy-ace
The biggest winner IMO was the ALMS. What a superb race.
R u sure?

Has been a great race indeed, but thanks to GT1 and GT2

If ALMS would have followed the road choosen by ACO to replace the old LMP900s and LMP675 with the new LMP1 and LMP2 (with restrictors size decrease and ballasts) there would have obtained some more cars in LMP1, and Audis not in the grid front row.

They would have still won, but would have had a run 4 their money
Old 20 Mar 2005, 14:50 (Ref:1256976)   #16
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sure, but it was still a great race.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 20 Mar 2005, 15:55 (Ref:1257028)   #17
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
I'd say the biggest losers were Dyson.

After the amount of cash spent on that Lola/AER it is still a complete and utter dog

At best, it is only competitive over the 2.45hr races.

what a ridiculous opinion...

the Dyson Lolas were absolutely competitive (the 16 car was in 2nd as late as around 8 hours into the race, tell me another time a car has done this in an endurance race during the R8's reign) and on outright pace the Dyson cars were right there with the Audis or even faster (Guy Smith in the first 3 hours) at a track that is probably the least favorable to the B01/60 AER package on the ALMS schedule.

the cars were much more reliable than years past and a whole lot quicker so how one could make this statement is just beyond me.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 16:05 (Ref:1257036)   #18
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree that the dyson cars have made some great headway...but fact remains they were 20 laps behind at the end and STILL on a podium...

I cannot agree about the quality of the race...at 8h45m remaining I had predicted 3 of the 4 class wins, Aston being the only one i missed...a mere 3:15 into the race...should not be possible and they werent "lucky guesses".

As for the season...most of the cool cars are going away...but the #5 vette outta put on a good show, and LM2 is definitely more interesting than last year...If im not too busy i will still hit LRP for the 4th...if not for ALMS then to see SWC one more time!
Old 20 Mar 2005, 16:21 (Ref:1257058)   #19
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by tblincoe
what a ridiculous opinion...

the Dyson Lolas were absolutely competitive (the 16 car was in 2nd as late as around 8 hours into the race, tell me another time a car has done this in an endurance race during the R8's reign) and on outright pace the Dyson cars were right there with the Audis or even faster (Guy Smith in the first 3 hours) at a track that is probably the least favorable to the B01/60 AER package on the ALMS schedule.

the cars were much more reliable than years past and a whole lot quicker so how one could make this statement is just beyond me.
Come on lets get real, the Dyson Lolas haven't a cat in hells chance of winning Sebring or PLM, and will only win one of the 2.45hr races if the Audis are punted off.

The Audis always have the edge on reliability AND pace.

The only people who will benefit from the development of the B01/60 will be the customers of the new Lola 05 LMP1/2s, were the inherent flaws of the B01/60 will be ironed out once and for all.

I realise why the ALMS made the decision to keep the 'old' regs until 2006, but the fact is that by catering for the needs of one team 'potenial' new entries have been put off entering until at least next year. Its ironic that the Dyson cars would have been even more competitive had the new regs been implemented, as in the LMES.

The result, we are left with the same mind numbingly boring R8 demonstration runs.

Last edited by JAG; 20 Mar 2005 at 16:27.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 17:39 (Ref:1257121)   #20
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I could not agree more, nothing comes even close to the Audis....
Old 20 Mar 2005, 18:43 (Ref:1257184)   #21
Bentley03
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBentley03 will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There's really nothing wrong with the pace of the Dyson's. The cars are quick and had qualifying enjoyed better weather I reckon Guy Smith would have put the #20 on pole. The Audi (tank!) drivers can take risks (and let's face it, they were ruthless at times) when dispatching slower traffic which the Lola drivers would not (lighter more fragile car). But ultimately it is the bullet proof reliability of the Audi's over longer distances which perhaps exaggerates the difference between the cars. Nobody denies the R8 is the best prototype of it's generation. I know the Lola's have shown weaknesses but I thought Dyson performed impressively. An overall podium finish in perhaps the toughest of all endurance races is a great achievement for any team. I reckon the team will be delighted to bring both cars home with a podium finish thrown in for good measure.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1257222)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAG
Come on lets get real, the Dyson Lolas haven't a cat in hells chance of winning Sebring or PLM, and will only win one of the 2.45hr races if the Audis are punted off.
JAG, that's pure poppycock. Dyson has beaten Audi twice on pace alone in the sprints on tires that weren't up to the Michelin standard. They will be competitive on all the ALMS tracks this year.

At the point that they lost their radiator, they were on the lead lap and going further on each tank of fuel than the Audis wereu. They were going to gain about 2 minutes on the Audis over the next 3 hours based on one fewer stop, which would have put them in front.

I think a punched rad could've happened to anyone...
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 20 Mar 2005, 19:51 (Ref:1257259)   #23
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree Paul, Dyson were just unlucky. This kind of mechanical breakdown can happen to anyone as u said, sure Dyson arent exactly heading into PLM as favourites to win the race, but they have the best chance of the non Audis IMO. Providing the Dyson cars can get a bit of luck theres no reason why they cant win races week in week out, IMO.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:08 (Ref:1257278)   #24
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
JAG, that's pure poppycock. Dyson has beaten Audi twice on pace alone in the sprints on tires that weren't up to the Michelin standard. They will be competitive on all the ALMS tracks this year.

At the point that they lost their radiator, they were on the lead lap and going further on each tank of fuel than the Audis wereu. They were going to gain about 2 minutes on the Audis over the next 3 hours based on one fewer stop, which would have put them in front.

I think a punched rad could've happened to anyone...
All ifs and buts, yet again.

Face it, that car is a heap of crap. If it was ever going to amount to anything it would have happened two seaons ago, at least.

We all know it is quick, but if you can't finish what is the point!

The engine packaging is too tight, which has led to a miriad of problems, and you only need to blow on the car and it will fall to pieces.

Dyson will have to wait for the Lola 05 LMP1 and AER twin turbo package before they can put together a credible title challenge.
Old 20 Mar 2005, 20:22 (Ref:1257297)   #25
billnchristy
Veteran

United States
Lawrenceville GA
billnchristy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
or the new riley