Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 15 Apr 2005, 19:57 (Ref:1279161)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
AJ FoytIV Going NASCAR On Us?!

I heard that SPEED channel interviewed Ray Evernham and AJ Foyt from the Texas Motor Speedway. Ray supposedly said that Foyt will test for his Busch team to get him aquainted with the car. He also said that he could run a couple races later in the year on tracks that Foyt has run on before in the IRL. Foyt said that he was excited for his NASCAR opportunity. Not a word was mentioned about the IRL.

This doesn't sound good to me. First the Ganassi rumors about leaving open wheel and now Foyt testing a NASCAR for a very good team. Both are Toyota guys. Coincidence, or could it be Toyota is leaving?

What do you guys think?

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Apr 2005, 19:59 (Ref:1279163)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think Ganassi will leave - but I think Foyt would be no loss - he's not up to the job, in my opinion.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:06 (Ref:1279167)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ray Evernham is one of the top guys in NASCAR. He must see something in young AJ.

He'll do fine once he is away from grandpa and on a real team, but I hope he doesn't have to go all the way to NASCAR to do that!

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:10 (Ref:1279173)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ok.

We'll start GP-KB Racing, and employ Tomas Sheckter and AJ Foyt IV
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:25 (Ref:1279184)   #5
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Would you guys have any finishes?

But I agree, if AJ hangs it up as a team owner in the IRL it is not a huge loss. It's never good to lose a team, but I am just not sure how serious this team really is. Now if he decides to run a good driver in the IRL and give it a go I would support him.

In other news, Penske will campaign Porsche's new P2 car for the ALMS. Woo hooo! Not saying this has any relevance, but dang I'm excited about it!

Last edited by jhansen; 15 Apr 2005 at 20:25.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1279187)   #6
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen

But I agree, if AJ hangs it up as a team owner in the IRL it is not a huge loss. It's never good to lose a team, but I am just not sure how serious this team really is. Now if he decides to run a good driver in the IRL and give it a go I would support him.

In other news, Penske will campaign Porsche's new P2 car for the ALMS. Woo hooo! Not saying this has any relevance, but dang I'm excited about it!
I'm excited about the Penske announcement, too, jhansen!!!

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1279194)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:

Don't worry, nobody would insure us anyway!

So along with the rumor of Ganassi leaving, and Foyt still having no sponsorship and testing for NASCAR, and now you giving us the news of Penske running in the ALMS, and all three being Toyota teams, I really have to wonder whats happening now. Are these teams just hedging there bets in case Toyota is gone, or do they already know it?

Your news may unfortunately be more relevant and telling than you know...

Last edited by GP Racer; 15 Apr 2005 at 20:44.

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Apr 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1279197)   #8
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Penske has the $$$$ to race in every Series in North America, if he wanted to do so...

He cut his teeth as a Trans Am driver and campaigned Mark Donohue in Can-Am back in the late 60s and early 70s while he was doing Indy Cars as well....

I'm sure that Porsche gave him a sweetheart deal to be the exclusive North American team in ALMS next year, and you can bet that as a payoff for his efforts, he'll get the first LMP1 chassis that Porsche will produce...if they go that route, and I think they will...in 2007

But the Indy 500 is too close to Roger's heart....and the pay day is too big for him not to keep his IRL gig going...

If Toyota would go, I have litle doubt that Honda would be knocking on his door in a heartbeat...

Now Ganassi is another deal altogether...

The only Series that he has had any fun in was Grand Am last season....he did get a win at Fontana, but SunTrust has been paddling his butt over there, too.....

Foyt is just out there...somewhere....

He hasn't been competitive in anything for a few years now....

Last edited by Tim Northcutt; 15 Apr 2005 at 21:00.

Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1279200)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Tim, correct me if I'm wrong, but Roger never races using his own money, and I believe that Marlboro is gone after this year, and if Toyota goes, etc, etc..

Connecting the dots, this is one ugly picture the way I see it.

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:07 (Ref:1279201)   #10
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I did see the tie in with your Toyota theory GP Racer, but I agree with Tim. Indy and open wheel racing are still close to Mr. Penske's heart. But he also has a fondness for sportscar racing, which included Trans Am and Can Am in the past. He has a good deal with Porsche no doubt and could step that up into a run at Le Mans in the future.

Now, if we could just get Ganassi to sell off his dump trucks, get Toyota to build an LMP, and go racing in the ALMS; all would be well in the world.
Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:10 (Ref:1279202)   #11
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
I did see the tie in with your Toyota theory GP Racer, but I agree with Tim. Indy and open wheel racing are still close to Mr. Penske's heart. But he also has a fondness for sportscar racing, which included Trans Am and Can Am in the past. He has a good deal with Porsche no doubt and could step that up into a run at Le Mans in the future.

Now, if we could just get Ganassi to sell off his dump trucks, get Toyota to build an LMP, and go racing in the ALMS; all would be well in the world.

Now yer Talkin'

Old 15 Apr 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1279215)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:

I thought all was well with the world when Ganassi sold his Champ Cars, Toyota built an IRL engine, and they came to race in the IRL, but look at whats happening now!

Whats the saying, careful what you wish for, it may come true!

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Apr 2005, 12:29 (Ref:1279568)   #13
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Will be interesting to see what AJ Foyt IV can do in an enviroment where he isn't held back by AJ Foyt trying to run things.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 13:10 (Ref:1279586)   #14
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If little AJ went to NASCAR it would be a blow to the IRL. A competitive Foyt (something that has not happened) in the IRL would be worth millions of free publicity to the league.

Stating the obvious, all but one IRL race is held in America. In order to be successful the IRL must cultivate American drivers and someone like Foyt has huge, built in name recognition.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 13:21 (Ref:1279592)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
If little AJ went to NASCAR it would be a blow to the IRL. A competitive Foyt (something that has not happened) in the IRL would be worth millions of free publicity to the league.
True, but as long as Foyt IV drives for his father, he will never get a fair chance to show what he can do.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 13:25 (Ref:1279596)   #16
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
True, but as long as Foyt IV drives for his father, he will never get a fair chance to show what he can do.
Its his grandfather but we shall see. Grandaddy might have stuck him in one of those beasts at too early of an age. If he survives and gains some experience he might be fine.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1279606)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by rush1
Its his grandfather but we shall see.
Duh, yeah of course, my bad heh - seems I'm not fully awake yet

Last edited by rustyfan; 16 Apr 2005 at 13:35.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 14:14 (Ref:1279640)   #18
Snips1
Racer

Denmark
Denmark
Snips1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If he goes to NASCAR I can understand it, good luck AJ you will need it...
Old 16 Apr 2005, 14:56 (Ref:1279657)   #19
rush1
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Duh, yeah of course, my bad heh - seems I'm not fully awake yet
Don't worry I say stupid things even when I'm wide awake.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 15:43 (Ref:1279675)   #20
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Foyts may not be a loss from a performance perspective, but they are an original team and IRL die-hards, something that can't be said for a number of the other teams.

Not that I'm a big AJ IV fan, but it would be interesting to see how he performs elsewhere. I have serious suspisions about Gramps' negative impact on IV's performances.

GP has connected the dots in an interesting way for Penske, but regardless of how it may look, I have a hard time believing Penske would be out of OW. Besides, Penske might need a new sponsor, but do you picture him having much trouble in finding one? Take a look at Champ Car in '03 and '04 and how Newman-Hass had sponsorship when no one else did. If it was just performances then PT/Forsythe would have a sponsor. It's the Newman factor that pulls the sponsors in. The Penske name brings a lot to the table and automatically leads to a positive association for the sponsor.

Last edited by Snrub; 16 Apr 2005 at 15:47.
Old 16 Apr 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1279685)   #21
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
GP has connected the dots in an interesting way for Penske, but regardless of how it may look, I have a hard time believing Penske would be out of OW. Besides, Penske might need a new sponsor, but do you picture him having much trouble in finding one? Take a look at Champ Car in '03 and '04 and how Newman-Hass had sponsorship when no one else did. If it was just performances than PT/Forsythe would have a sponsor. It's the Newman factor that pulls the sponsors in. The Penske name brings a lot to the table and automatically leads to a positive association for the sponsor.
It's been very tough for any team that has had tobacco sponsorship to find a replacement that is anywhere near as big as they are. Forsythe has had a difficult time finding one to replace Players, and I don't believe BAR and Jordan are having any luck replacing there tobacco sponsors either. Tobaccos contribution to the racing world can't be overstated.

Put the loss of Marlboro, and the Penske ALMS team together with the rumors of Ganassi's departure and AJ's NASCAR tryout, all Toyota teams mind you, and I think there could be something brewing here. I obviously hope I'm wrong though. I also have to wonder if that big meeting on reunification that Penske headed up went so badly that Roger see's no future in OW, and has had enough.

Your point on losing another original IRL team should AJ fold is well taken, and I agree it would be big loss

Danica Patrick