Old 3 Mar 2001, 21:33 (Ref:67908)   #1
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is from TSN.ca:
Quote:
In his first ever F1 qualifying session Juan Pablo Montoya drove his Williams to the 11th spot on the starting grid, after he had driven it into the side of Jacques Villeneuve's BAR. The Colombian's behaviour did not please the Canadian, who survived the coming together (after replacing a bargeboard dislodged in the encounter) to qualify eighth.

JV - ""I am definitely upset about Montoya. Maybe he didn't use his mirrors in the States because he was in front. But he's got to learn to use them here. He completely screwed up my lap. You only have about four laps for quick runs and when you lose one lap that's 25 percent of your qualifying gone. I was very annoyed because we had changed the setup completely before qualifying and we needed all the laps we could get. I will definitely talk to him.

JV: "Montoya was our test driver at Williams (in 1998) and I hope he has grown up since then. The attitude he had then and in the States didn't seem right for Williams. Very arrogant, but not in a nice way, looking down on people. I hope he doesn't get his butt kicked here because he will have a hard time to cope with it. But if he's quick right away, and beats everybody, he has already got the arrogance to go with it."
Well that explains why he was so slow getting a fast time up at the start of the qualifying session and sums up my perspective on Montoya. I see that he didn't change much between 1998 and last year in Cart.
Old 3 Mar 2001, 22:33 (Ref:67915)   #2
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the info, Jay. The cameras must have missed that, but it certainly explains why Jacques didn't set a fast time until near the end of the session.

Now - these two must stop running into each other, 'cause they are team-mates in my Fantasy F1 team!
Old 3 Mar 2001, 22:40 (Ref:67918)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uuufff !!
The season finally began !
And all the out-of-the-car diplomacy comes through... I guess JPM are the chosen of the year !
Who's next to blast the colombian by the mouth ?
Montoya, my boy, mind games, remember ? Are you ready for that ?
To be big in F1 is not only in the cockpit ! The aiming is on you !
Old 3 Mar 2001, 22:48 (Ref:67924)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Well if he is going to hit people on the track, people are going to complain. It has nothing to do with mind games.
Old 3 Mar 2001, 22:52 (Ref:67927)   #5
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know it never ceases to amaze me how many people Villunerve can bad mouth and blame for his troubles. No wonder he and Coulthard are good mates. They obviously have a lot in common!

As far as Juan Pablo Montoya goes - if he`s arrogant...good for him. He`s a racing driver and if he thinks he`s the best, then so be it. If he gets under everyone else's nerves, then tough luck for them.

That said, I still believe Ralf will be the quicker of the two but Im definately hoping Montoya is the one kicking Villunerve's butt !

By the way Jacques, they still use mirrors in the States....things havent changed too much since you were there..
Old 3 Mar 2001, 23:00 (Ref:67929)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sorry if I am misunderstood. I'm not going into defense of JPM.
I'm just saying that a "GREAT PART" of the show just started. The one that drivers try to slam each other by speaking instead of DRIVING ! And JV is one of the best in that !
{ and H**l, I like the guy !} JV must keep his mouth shut and do the work on the wheels ! I know he can make it. Or finally get a decent seat where he can win races...
Old 3 Mar 2001, 23:17 (Ref:67936)   #7
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Go Montaya.........

Follow TGF yes please 3 WDC's plus fastest laps and poles.

Problem is I cannot recall if he is in my fantasy GP or not and now too late to add him drat and double drat.......

Simon
Old 3 Mar 2001, 23:24 (Ref:67939)   #8
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Villeneuve can say what he wants regardless of who he is driving for. Just as any other pilot can. He was hit by Montoya, which probably cost him a qualifying spot or two. So I say, he has the right to be mad.

I bet if Villeneuve had hit Montoya you guys would be all over JV.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 01:28 (Ref:67968)   #9
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
a case of the pot calling the kettle black?
Old 4 Mar 2001, 02:02 (Ref:67976)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button says that ramming people off the track (specifically Jacques) is okay if it works, and he is deified.

JPM actually does it and is vilified.

This probably proves that JPM is the better pilot. But if nothing else it signals that he is going to be out there to drive for the win, and those of us who have seen him drive know his attitude is "Take No Prisoners and Excuse My Tire Tracks On Your Helmet." Now Jacques knows too.

As far as Jacques and his whiny-hiney complaining goes, I think he'd better shut up and drive. I notice in the warmups Panis is about half a light year ahead of him again.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 02:12 (Ref:67980)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Liz - how are ya!! I can't see what they are all talking about JPM for; Alonso is THE MAN!! What did you think of that miracle he performed getting the Minardi onto the grid. I'll be watching the lake before the race to see whether Alonso is going to walk across it!! I am definitely an Alonso fan from now on. Sorry for hijacking the thread Jay
Old 4 Mar 2001, 05:55 (Ref:68021)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have great respect for Alonso too - 19 years old, driving a diecast with a 3 year old engine, a package that didn't exist 6 weeks ago, with no testing time - and he outdrives half the old guys at least part of the time, stays out of trouble, and brings the car home. What more could you ask of a boy in his first F1 race? I predict great things from him.

Jay feels about Montoya the way I feel about Button - no matter what he does, he's ****. Some people just hit you that way, I guess.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 06:02 (Ref:68024)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Yup! Although my view on Button has certainly not improved after his latest comments.

Go Alonzo!
Old 4 Mar 2001, 06:26 (Ref:68039)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Jensen Butthead did not distinguish himself today for sure. What was that business about him having two cars on the track at once?
Old 4 Mar 2001, 14:58 (Ref:68136)   #15
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TSN.ca ... a Canada Halleluja site perhaps?

Howcome we haven't seen this on television?

Howcome there's no respected F1 newssite on the net who mentions this?

Howcome in all the available quotes and interviews with Jacques there's nowhere a word about this?

Perhaps because it's made up by some frustrated editor?

I guess there can be spread a lot of likewise quotes from anti-hakkinen.com or anti-schumacher.com but we can hardly take those seriously, can we?
Old 4 Mar 2001, 15:43 (Ref:68148)   #16
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Dino did you ever think that not all of a drivers comments may be sent out to the world media?

The above was from a written interview he gave to Gerry Donaldson, a very reputable F1 Journalist. And TSN.ca is The Sports Network's website, a part of the whole Bell Global Media conglomerate. They have a reputation to maintain, unlike many of the other European F1 sites.

We didn't see half of the action on the track during qualifying because the director thought we would much rather see the McLaren and Ferrari mechanics pick s%%# out of their a&## while other every other car qualified.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 16:18 (Ref:68160)   #17
Dino IV
Veteran

MagnetON
NL
Dino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDino IV should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know, but this TSN story would have been world news in every sports newsagency, wouldn't it? "The Montoya God clashing with Villeneuve" after which the "former WDC slams The Boy Juander" for being an arrogant imbecile ... that would have been on every site or broadcast. The session was dull enough to deserve some spice don't you think? In all the quotes even Panis mentions being hold up by Bernoldi and the only thing Jacques comes up with are alledged set-up problems. That's where my doubts about the credibility of this Donaldson written 'news' come from, you see.
Old 4 Mar 2001, 17:58 (Ref:68201)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Here is the video from the back of Jacques car:
http://f-1.sovintel.ru/01/melbourn/melbq4.html

It was actually quite a dangerous move. It could easily have resulted in a simlar accident to the one that Jacques would later have in the race.

Last edited by Jay; 4 Mar 2001 at 18:01.

Tags
jpm