Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Dec 2006, 12:22 (Ref:1793461)   #1
Dan Fielden
Veteran

Isle of Man
Isle Of Man
Dan Fielden has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Testing times.

I understand the teams are doing different work when they venture out in testing but how representative are the times in comparison to the others. I was looking at f1.com before and Sato (Aguri) was quicker than Gene (Ferrari), and Kubica was quicker than both the ferraris. Can we just assume that Sato was going flat out and Gene was doing some development work or something like that. Running in new tyres or something?

Your thoughts?
Old 18 Dec 2006, 13:47 (Ref:1793548)   #2
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I do recall some years back that a minardi (or was it a jordan?) was placed among the top 3 in winter testing. i wouldn't read too much into those results. I think it was Eddie Jordan who once ackowledged that during winter testing they would sometimes run their cars underweight or with other such modifications to get good results and lure new sponsors for the upcoming season.
Old 18 Dec 2006, 20:03 (Ref:1793953)   #3
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
interesting comment from Eddie there, as it makes complete sense that creating marketing hype in the off season must factor into some teams winter testing programs.

on a side then, what are the restrcitions for cars during testing or are there any. can a team run a restricted or banned part during testing just to move up the time sheets a little?
Old 19 Dec 2006, 13:17 (Ref:1794652)   #4
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not sure about the regulations but I would think that as long as they comply with safety regulations they could run the cars with whatever they want. Of course, most teams (especially those without money problems) wouldn't consider doing that as the data gathered during winter testing would be useless.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1794862)   #5
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the Prost team being a strong championship contender. That is until the season actually started.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:15 (Ref:1794949)   #6
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, 2001! Alesi was apparently a sure-fire contender for race wins if you believed F1 Racing's testing conclusions!

It's all meaningless until first practice at the first race, which is when the bull**** stops.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:33 (Ref:1794972)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy

It's all meaningless until first practice at the first race, which is when the bull**** stops.
Ah! if only.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 18:48 (Ref:1794990)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, a different kind starts then!
Old 19 Dec 2006, 19:04 (Ref:1795005)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Well, a different kind starts then!
Yes.It's the "Well that didn't show up in testing!" type Bull****.
Old 19 Dec 2006, 19:31 (Ref:1795027)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Not only that one...
Old 21 Dec 2006, 15:05 (Ref:1796897)   #11
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Every thing has its typical lifecycle.
-The current phase is the one of hyper-optimism: right one year ago, for example, Webber targeted a win for the oz GP, and Liuzzi targeted a podium for the season. Every driver is "upbeat" (following the typical Autosport's terminology)
- Then the season starts and reality comes along: this is the phase when most (the losers) say "there's a big work to do"
- Then the final one, where every struggling driver says "the car is a dog", a thing they actually knew since the phase 1
Old 21 Dec 2006, 16:02 (Ref:1796922)   #12
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Testing times

Something has changed since the tests!
Translation: We have taken the 3.5 litre engine out, are not running on illegal fuel and have had to put the 110 k. of ballast back in.
Old 21 Dec 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1796940)   #13
DAE
Rookie

DAE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But wasn't Sato in the new Aguri honda test car - the one that looks rather like the 2006 honda?
Old 30 Dec 2006, 18:35 (Ref:1801887)   #14
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAE
But wasn't Sato in the new Aguri honda test car - the one that looks rather like the 2006 honda?
I thought it was the car just built by Aguri not Honda. Either way I hope the times are wrong or as a Williams supporter I'm in for another year of pain.