Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 26 Feb 2008, 22:01 (Ref:2138742)   #1
Da Moo
Racer

Da Moo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Big drop in Clipsal ratings

I normally think 7/V8SA do a good job but Clipsal was their worst ever effort and wasnt suprised to find out that the ratings were 20% down on last year - for the second biggest race of the year and the opening round, this has to be a worry.

It was also noticeable that V8TV have cut back on cameras which really affected the broadcast - an obvious effect from the rumored $2 million budget blowout on television broadcast costs last year........

No suprise V8SA have not put out one of their ridiculous press releases with make beleive numbers this week and heaven forbid they actually admit that they dropped 20% of their audience (one piece of good news for them - apparently ratings were up in Adelaide - just a massive drop everywhere else)
Old 26 Feb 2008, 22:39 (Ref:2138766)   #2
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Talk about serving up the same old garbage all weekend long. No wonder I walked out 4 laps into Race 1 and came back 6 from the end. Sunday wasn't much better, but watched the second half of it when thinks got heated.

A few things that made me want to turn to another channel.....
-Introducing drivers and engineer's doesn't get my vote. Concept behind it is understandable, but could have been done differently
-Crompton talking about riding with Whincup around the circuit to see how he use the sequential gear box, but no picture in picture used.
-Daniel Gibson trying to interview Garth, but Garth didn't hear anything he said

If that effort keeps up for the next couple of rounds, no point in even turning the TV on. Regardless if it's VE$a TV or Channel 7.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2138783)   #3
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The mainreason for the drop in ratings is that in 2007 there was no other sport programmed during the Clipsal telecast times whereas this year the Sunday race was up against the Australia v India one day cricket match.Nearly all the reduction in viewers was during this time slot.
Old 26 Feb 2008, 22:58 (Ref:2138784)   #4
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't been watching all the fluff pieces and support races on Seven, I just turn on for the V8 Supercar races themselves and that's it. The telecasts are just too long to sit there watching them all day when there's only a couple of hours racing I actually want to watch.

I did however catch a glimpse of that driver / engineer introduction, that was boring and it seemed to drag on and on...
Old 26 Feb 2008, 23:09 (Ref:2138790)   #5
Da Moo
Racer

The competition they are against is irrelevant - they never mentioned that with their comparisons to 2006 even though other events were on - they only use facts that they want.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 02:42 (Ref:2138896)   #6
stmookeyj033
Veteran

stmookeyj033 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Moo
The competition they are against is irrelevant - they never mentioned that with their comparisons to 2006 even though other events were on - they only use facts that they want.
Try telling that to the TV networks. They THRIVE on competition, and live and die by competition. You look at prime time ratings and tell me that competition is not relevant. If it wasn't relevant then..

(a) TV Networks would not have as great an impact on sporting schedules as they do now

(b) If there was no competition we would still be watching Young Talent Time @ 6:30 on Saturdays....
Old 27 Feb 2008, 02:45 (Ref:2138897)   #7
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denosaur
-Introducing drivers and engineer's doesn't get my vote. Concept behind it is understandable, but could have been done differently
I found that introduction embarrassing, I couldn't watch.

Quote:
Daniel Gibson trying to interview...
You didn't need to go any further than that.

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 02:59 (Ref:2138900)   #8
theugsquirrel
Rookie

theugsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorFan
I found that introduction embarrassing, I couldn't watch.

You didn't need to go any further than that.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 03:12 (Ref:2138904)   #9
theugsquirrel
Rookie

theugsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although having said that, I thoroughly enjoyed both of the races. They were covered pretty well.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 03:33 (Ref:2138916)   #10
Steve Carter
Racer

Australia
New England District NSW
Steve Carter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

Thats an interesting comment Da Moo - heres an article on TV numbers for V8 Supercar from Geoff Harris it makes interesting reading and puts some perspective on them - Ive also seen the actual numbers.

http://editorial.carsales.com.au/Sto...e/2890112.aspx
Old 27 Feb 2008, 03:43 (Ref:2138921)   #11
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Of course it is!! and of course the promoters will only try to make their product look good.

I seriously have to question why people think that TC et el need to go against common sense and turn marketing on its head - its quite simple, this is a company, its product is entertainment, its prime objective is to make money (just like every other commercial company).
To do this, it markets the product as best as it can, using whatever means possible, you don't go and starting advertising falling ratings or whatever, thats commercial suicide.

Competition should be taken very seriously, V8SC's are up against the likes of Cricket, football etc - they all require TV exposure and they all require sponsorship and will be all knocking on the same doors with their hands out.
When 888 go hunting for bucks, they will need to provide what sort of exposure they will provide a potential sponsor, if they can point to ratings and say 'it beat the cricket', then you've gained advantage.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 05:47 (Ref:2138953)   #12
Da Moo
Racer

I need to clarify - I meant that the competition is not an excuse. in 2006 TEN were often up against other events etc including the Commonwealth Games yet that was never mentioned when V8SA came out shouting about the Clipsal ratings last year even though the year before, TEN was up against the Commonwealth Games so they cant pick and choose their ratings successes and then dismiss rounds when they are down.

The last three rounds of last year were down on the year before and people will say the Brock factor for Bathurst which is valid but there will always be things that affect ratings - even simple things like the weather. If the weather is really nice, less people watch TV because they go outside.

You just have to roll with the results.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 05:48 (Ref:2138954)   #13
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
[QUOTE=Da Moo]
It was also noticeable that V8TV have cut back on cameras which really affected the broadcast - an obvious effect from the rumored $2 million budget blowout on television broadcast costs last year........
QUOTE]

Really, I did not notice.

Because you must have compared this years telecast to last years races please tell me which cameras were missing.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 05:52 (Ref:2138956)   #14
chavez
Veteran

Australia
The Basin, Victoria
chavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchavez should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
-Daniel Gibson trying to interview Garth, but Garth didn't hear anything he said
Has there ever been a motorsport telecast where a driver has not struggled at some stage to hear an interviewer in a noisy pit lane?
Old 27 Feb 2008, 06:35 (Ref:2138966)   #15
RS500
Veteran

Australia
Australia
RS500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the cam on the wire down pit straight was missing
Old 27 Feb 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2139015)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i thought the coverage didn't increase or decrease from 07, there is improvement needed as last year too but it is still good enough.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 10:58 (Ref:2139096)   #17
Conrod Kieron
Veteran

Conrod Kieron should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I need to clarify - I meant that the competition is not an excuse. in 2006 TEN were often up against other events etc including the Commonwealth Games yet that was never mentioned when V8SA came out shouting about the Clipsal ratings last year even though the year before, TEN was up against the Commonwealth Games so they cant pick and choose their ratings successes and then dismiss rounds when they are down.

The last three rounds of last year were down on the year before and people will say the Brock factor for Bathurst which is valid but there will always be things that affect ratings - even simple things like the weather. If the weather is really nice, less people watch TV because they go outside.

You just have to roll with the results.
This may be true, but would you agree that it's not good for a company to spruik negative news?

The stake holders in V8's would have TC's nuts if he did that.
Old 27 Feb 2008, 12:57 (Ref:2139189)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the opening round of the series, and its second biggest event is down 20 % on last years event, what hope do any of the other events have ?

Was a crowd figure released ?
Old 27 Feb 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2139228)   #19
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
2008 figures were crowd records for all days.
http://www.clipsal500.com.au/2008-po...ttendance.html

All previous records were set in 2007.

Overall
291,500 (+14,600)

Thursday
44,200 (+1,400)

Friday
73,300 (+6,600)

Saturday
82,200 (+1,400)

Sunday
91,700 (+5,100)
Old 27 Feb 2008, 19:20 (Ref:2139526)   #20
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wonder if these are 'audited' figures or the usual 'What was todays attendance? Oh, let's say (insert a guess here)'
Old 27 Feb 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2139655)   #21
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chavez
Has there ever been a motorsport telecast where a driver has not struggled at some stage to hear an interviewer in a noisy pit lane?
Garth was still in the car, helmet and all other gear on, in the garage, his team trying to get the car fixed, rattle guns going off, the field going past. All of this and the director still choose to go to Daniel and run the interview. And Daniel didn't make it any easier for himself or Garth by using long sentences and attempted comedy to get his point and question across.

Like Crompton said at one stage of the Sunday telecast, 'the drivers don't hear much on the radio and having long conversation doesn't work. They only really respond to key words.'

Understand why I'm jumping up and down about this.....
Old 27 Feb 2008, 23:59 (Ref:2139748)   #22
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker
Wonder if these are 'audited' figures or the usual 'What was todays attendance? Oh, let's say (insert a guess here)'
Well a few years ago Clipsal organisers spoke of the desire to move to the F1 layout as they had run out of room for additional spectator areas as well as corporate areas.

So with this comment in mind, it does seem interesting that each year since, we have had a 'record' crowd.

Maybe Cochrane employed more garbage collectors to boost numbers.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 01:26 (Ref:2139783)   #23
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And we know what those extra garbage collectors would be cleaning up don't we DRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbo6
2008 figures were crowd records for all days.
Did anyone expect to hear anything different announced?
Old 28 Feb 2008, 02:21 (Ref:2139808)   #24
garbo6
Racer

Australia
Adelaide
garbo6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Attending each year it does seem to get busier, so it doesn't actually surprise me.

Plus people who come for the concerts would inflate crowd numbers as well.

Then again it probably just goes on ticket sales as I doubt anyone is standing at the gates with a clicker to count the crowd.
Old 28 Feb 2008, 03:28 (Ref:2139840)   #25
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed, many of those attending aren't even there for the V8's (or any other form of motorsport) - the 4 nights of concerts will attract many, and that helps fill the numbers out. Get better names performing, more people buy tickets, regardless of whether the racing side of things is healthy.

As for this 'company' not promoting a drop in TV ratings - its simple to put a spin on it - Less people watching the event coz they are attending the event, we put such a good show on they'd rather be there! A sport telecast and its ratings can't be looked at like a pilot soapie or 30min US 'comedy' show.

(*waits for people to suggest that V8SC IS just like a soapie)