Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Sep 2000, 09:38 (Ref:39118)   #1
neutral
Racer

neutral should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now I would just like to remind the panel about DCs antics at Indy. This is the same man that criticised Schumi in France for blocking. In France Michael was in the lead, he was fighting for the championship, he was not about to receive a 10 second stop go penalty and his blocking paled in comparison to DC's. At Indy, DC was weaving all over the track to upset Schumi. Now in all honesty, I do not mind this sort of racing, but what I do mind is the different reactions from the drivers, fans and media when different drivers do the same thing. If Michaels driving was dangerous, then DC's was more so; but I bet we will hear nothing of it over the next few days, unlike the 1 month slamming on Schumi we witnessed in mid season.

Old 25 Sep 2000, 09:57 (Ref:39119)   #2
Nuvolari
Racer

Nuvolari should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael was the model of restraint at the news conference, acknowledging McLaren's "right" to slow him down while chiding DC for squeezing him during the pass.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 10:45 (Ref:39128)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i'm sure dc wont have a problem taking schumi out at one of the last 2 gp's - could ferrari instruct rubens to do something similar to mika, surely ferrari cant let this championship slip......
Old 25 Sep 2000, 11:43 (Ref:39139)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I suppose if DC hadn't already got a 10 second S&G for jumping the start, there might have been more notice taken - M&M were so busy screaming about the jumped start that they didn't seem to take notice of the weaving and blocking. And perhaps the stewards took the same view? But I agree that it's wrong for him to do it too and could have caused a massive accident. One rule for everyone - although nobody seems to get punished for it, we should not single anyone out when they break the rules unless we point out all of them.
Old 25 Sep 2000, 13:08 (Ref:39160)   #5
angst
Veteran

angst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like this sort of 'racing' either. However I don't think you can call DC a hypocrit, he stated after Charlie Whiting's ruling on his complaints about MS' driving that now he knew where he stood, that they would all play by the same rules. MS chided DC for squeezing him in the corners?!
He who lives by the sword, dies by the sword (I should point out that I don't mean this literally, lest anybody think my comments are in bad taste) - MS has spent his entire career doing this sort of thing to his opponents so he has absolutely NO justification for complaint. How is it that MS fans have vehemently defended MS whenever he has done this, and now that DC doles it back out suddenly the view of a car weaving down the track and playing chicken into the turns is outrageous?
Here's the basics. It IS outrageous and always has been, the 'greatest' proponent of this sort of intimidation has been MS. Frankly if DC is pulled up about it and fined then all the better, because then a precedent will be set and MS will have to tow the line as well.
Or will he?
Old 26 Sep 2000, 06:56 (Ref:39339)   #6
neutral
Racer

My Point is

Michael blocking = no action from stewards but a hounding from press and spectators on his dangerous driving style

DC blocking = no action from stewards and no action from the press and spectators on his driving style.

The actions of the stewards are consistent, since they have done nothing to both Schumi or DC, maybe this is wrong but it is not my point. My point is that the reactions generated from DC's blocking is basically nil, while Schumi's driving style is crucified when he does his blocking. All I'm asking for is a little consistency in the way people view things.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 07:14 (Ref:39340)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Unfortunately for TGF, he had set the stage himself for this sort of behaviour, not only at Magny Course, but also at other races like Adelaide, and Jerez. I would like to remind you guys that it was TGF who ran Mika into a concrete wall at Macau that started the ball rolling as far back as I can remember. As for complaining about DC being out of the championship and therefore not playing fair by blocking TGF, what about Eddie Irvine's blocking of Jacques when Jacques was fighting for the WDC with TGF? I wouldn't call this sour grapes, more like sourkraut. I fully expect DC to play his part and not only come second in the remaining races, but to block TGF all he can. These are the guidelines set by Ferrari. Some of you guys have a very short memory. Personally I don't condone this sort of blocking, and I have posted about this before. However, it is up to Charlie Whiting to rule on this sort of behaviour, and it is up to TGF to initiate any new understanding with his fellow drivers. Hounding from the press is inconsequential - it is the element of dangerous tactics that should be stopped. Just ask yourself this question: was DC's moves more or less dangerous than TGF's move on Damon Hill in Adelaide? Or on Jacques at Jerez?
Old 26 Sep 2000, 09:01 (Ref:39348)   #8
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DC trying to block..hah!...did he succeed?
What happened to the British press that gave him his WDC after Magny Cours??
Wheel bangin?...hah!
In a Mac he couldnt get past Diniz+Delarosa for so many laps!!...somehow the whole media goes to sleep when its Schuey dominance...lol!
...and worse still all the anti's are already preparing their 'sour grapes' posts for Schueys 3rd crown.Sad.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 10:18 (Ref:39355)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What about Keke Rosberg blocking senna in 1985 at Brands when Mansell won his first GP?
Old 26 Sep 2000, 10:20 (Ref:39357)   #10
neutral
Racer

Valve bounce, I am not arguing about the ethics of DC's driving. I thought it was fine, and as I said at the start, I do not mind this sought of team play. What I do question, is the reactions of the drivers and the press when different drivers do the same thing. My question is
"Why isnt DC getting the same slamming Schumi had to deal with when he blocked DC in France?"
Old 26 Sep 2000, 10:43 (Ref:39360)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

Neutral, I must apologise, my mistake. I don't even think about the nationalistic press reports. However, Italians are even worse, because when one of their own does not perform to their expections, the write horrible things against the sportsman. This happens more often in football. They have to sell their newspapers, whatever rubbish they can write the better. However, in this case, I was not impressed by TGF's comments, not after the way Eddie used to block for him.
Peter, how did Keke Rosberg get into this thread?
Old 26 Sep 2000, 11:47 (Ref:39375)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Bloody Rosberg. Gets in everwhere!!

An example of how its always been the same.
Old 26 Sep 2000, 12:31 (Ref:39385)   #13
Murph
Racer

Murph should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no problem with DC's tactics when he was told by his team to slow Michael down so that Mika could catch up. As Peter has already stated with his example of Keke blocking Senna..... it has happened before. I watched Niki Lauda's flag to flag win at the Glen in 1975 and for most of the race Emmo was right on Niki's "butt" until Niki lapped his teammate (Clay) who proceeded to "slow down" Emmo so that Niki's lead zoomed to 10+ seconds in about 3 laps. F1 is a team sport, something that many of us forget (including moi) from time to time.

take care all,

Murph
Old 26 Sep 2000, 22:33 (Ref:39506)   #14
Dani
Rookie

Dani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I totally agree with u Neutral!! Dc moans and moans at Schumi doing it then he does it himself. He makes himself look so stupid sometimes!!
Old 27 Sep 2000, 05:13 (Ref:39550)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Dani, I have to add something here. DC moaned and groaned until Charlie Whiting ruled that the swerving by TGF was legitemate. TGF was chuffed and said what he was doing was within the rules. Immediately after that, DC said that now he has a clear understanding of what is permissable and he will drive accordingly, or words to that effect. I posted afterwards that this was leading F1 into a dangerous phase, as this will end in tears - and maybe a very serious accident. I maintain that the rule on swerving must change to prevent future huge prangs after the start. Nobody will stand to gain anything from such swerving in the long run, now that the others are also employing such tactics.
Old 27 Sep 2000, 14:48 (Ref:39640)   #16
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh god, what has Schumi done wrong now?? The man is not "god" or "untouchable", but can anyone please explain to me what he's done wrong this time??
Old 27 Sep 2000, 15:45 (Ref:39654)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Breathe?
Old 27 Sep 2000, 16:00 (Ref:39659)   #18
LYM
Racer

LYM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi 's not saying what he thinks...again

I think MS really sees himself as "untouchable"(and forgiving?). That's why he brought the issue up during the press conference.

You have to take notice of his expression and body language when he said that DC might have touched him, but it's perfectly "right" for the team sake.....His face showed otherwise.
Old 27 Sep 2000, 17:38 (Ref:39677)   #19
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by LYM

Schumi 's not saying what he thinks...
...His face showed otherwise.
Did he actually tell you that he was thinking something else?
Or are you just speculating?

Quote:

I think MS really sees himself as "untouchable"(and forgiving?). That's why he brought the issue up during the press conference.
He didn't bring the issue up himself.
He was just answering a question about his "superb battle with David Coulthard".

Quote:

So tell me, when was the other time?
And how did you know?
Old 28 Sep 2000, 00:33 (Ref:39761)   #20
Dhru
Rookie

Dhru should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Neutral, I agree with you. Every time Michael wins he is critised. I just wish that teh press would be a bit more impartial and look at everyone else's driving before critising Michael and defending the others. All Michael has to do is turn his steering wheel when someone's within 2s behind him and he's accused of blocking, like in Spa. Ron Dennis said that Michael was driving dangerously when he blocked Mika, if anything Mika's move on Michael and Zonta was more dangerous, because if anyone went slightly off line then all three would have crashed at full throttle.
Dhru.
Old 28 Sep 2000, 01:11 (Ref:39769)   #21
LYM
Racer

DonK,

I dun have to speculate. It's logic. MS is a celebrity and like popstars, they are media-trained. If you really wants to know how he really feel about DC, flashback to the pitlane outburst at SPA98 again. It happens to others drivers. I highly doubt him when DC said that he wish MS a speedy recovery last year.

[QUOTE]"Going back to the first few laps of the race, you had a battle with David Coulthard which ended for you wish an excellent overtaking movement going into the first corner.[QUOTE]
This is just a statement make by a interviewer.

[QUOTE] Did you know at that moment that he was going to have to pay a ten second stop-and-go penalty for jumping the start?"[QUOTE]
This is the question he needs to answer. Which he did. More than that.

[QUOTE]Schumi 's not saying what he thinks...again
[QUOTE]
Can you detect a constant change of opinion on Hill and Senna? Before and after they retired? Do you really want me to quote?

Look I am as ferrari and (red)chillies are red.
But he's as flawed as u and me.:>

Old 28 Sep 2000, 05:18 (Ref:39779)   #22
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by LYM
DonK,

I dun have to speculate. It's logic. MS is a celebrity and like popstars, they are media-trained.
I see.
You are not "speculating", you are only guessing.

Quote:

Quote:
Did you know at that moment that he was going to have to pay a ten second stop-and-go penalty for jumping the start?"
This is the question he needs to answer. Which he did. More than that.
So you think his answer should have been:
"Yes."
And nothing more.

Quote:

Do you really want me to quote?
Look I am as ferrari and (red)chillies are red.
But he's as flawed as u and me.
I don't understand.

Are you trying to tell me, that you know that Michael didn't think he was representing the Ferrari team?
Are you trying to tell me, that you know that Michael didn't think that red chillies are red?
Are you trying to tell me that you know that Michael thought that "u" is more flawed than "he"?
Are you trying to tell me that you know that Michael thought that "me" is more flawed than "he"?

Or are you not quoting at this moment?

Are you just saying that there has been another occasion on which you though that he might be saying something else than he was thinking?
Old 28 Sep 2000, 07:51 (Ref:39786)   #23
LYM
Racer

Oh this topic is going on for too long now so...

Whatever you say Donk, whatever you say.

Now let's move on to Suzuka!:>
Old 28 Sep 2000, 22:16 (Ref:39878)   #24
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Soul searching good

The whole point of this thread was whether DC is a hyprocite because TGF was complaining about his tactics. I posted way, way above in this thread:
"Just ask yourself this question: was DC's moves more or less dangerous than TGF's move on Damon Hill in Adelaide? Or on Jacques at Jerez?"
This question seems to be totally ignored by the TGF fans here. As I said before, TGF started the ball rolling by pushing Mika into a concrete wall in Macau.
If TGF does not appreciate other drivers blocking him, let him look at his own tactics first, which I might add, were not the most honorable.
All this baloney about what someone knows what TGF thinks, and so on are just a bunch of red herrings.
Old 30 Sep 2000, 08:25 (Ref:40158)   #25
ozywoodwards
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chorlton, Manchester
ozywoodwards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why does it matter if DC is in contention for the title or not? MS shouldn't expect everyone to get out of the way of him just bcause he is going for the championship, although he obviously thinks so as I remember him getting annoyed with Damon Hill holding him up when he was driving through the field after he stalled in Suzuka '98. He complained that he was not let through, but why should he be?

Also, after scan reading this thread I didn't notice any mention of Barcelona this year when MS was praised by the media for slowing, I think JV but I can't remember, down another car to let Barrichelo past. How was this less dangerous?