Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Club Level Single Seaters

Old 25 Oct 2007, 10:53 (Ref:2050992)   #1
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New FF1600 Championship

I have the possibility of running a mini FF1600 Championship next season if people are interested. The format of the meetings can be worked on with talking to the drivers and working out what is best for as many as possible.

At the moment the events will be double headers with a single qualifying. But would it be better to have a 15 minute "free practice" with a slightly shorter qualifying and a longer single header race?

This is why I have posted on here to get feedback as to whether it is worth putting some weight behind. I even have dates.......

3 Meetings -

Round 1 & 2 - Brands Hatch Indy - April 19th & 20th
Round 3 & 4 - Brands Hatch Indy - June 21th & 22nd
Round 5 & 6 - Cadwell Park (Full) - July 5th & 6th

If a round was added with Steve Burns at Combe and also at Oulton with the NWFF lot then that would make a nice 8 round National Championship....

Would people be interested?
Old 25 Oct 2007, 11:17 (Ref:2051011)   #2
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
JustinDawkins should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds interesting, would it be strictly to ff1600 regs?

Would we have to join a new club?

Rough idea of entrie costs?

I imagine a combe round would be easy, but getting a round with the BRSCC might be tricky, although it would be a very nice southern championship without one.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 11:27 (Ref:2051021)   #3
Redracer77
Veteran

Early days yet Justin. You may have to join another club but a discussion would need to take place if the races were run over a couple of different clubs for example one club running the brands and cadwell races and Combe running their race and the BRSCC running Oulton.

Same regs as now. Might be worth looking at restricting tyres but that could be difficult.

Up for any ideas.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 11:35 (Ref:2051033)   #4
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Im sure the two Brands meetings would draw people in. This year, there was only one CFF round at Brands before the festival, so more time there would be a pretty good idea. The only problem with Brands is its so pigging far to go, unless you dont have to use the M25.

I have heared that a few people are interested in doing a national FF1600 championship.

Having two DH's at Brands would be good for the southeners, two DH's up north, say on at Oulton and one at Cadwell, with a Donny or Silverstone DH thrown in for the Midlands would deffinatly attract alot more people. Keeping as many rounds down south as up north may help to keep entry levels equal.

That way, northeners can do the north, southeners can do the south, and the rich buggers can do all the rounds!
Old 25 Oct 2007, 12:02 (Ref:2051056)   #5
goughy
Racer

goughy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I for one would be very interested to see how this could work. If it attracted real interest and the grid sizes were not only healthy, but competitive, then I would do it. The MSV championship they ran a few years ago was a great idea, but sadly it did not attract the grids (although it had some good drivers doing it like Dempsey).

If it offered value for money (a small test session before qually is a great idea) then hopefully it would pull in the regulars from the NW, Midlands and Castle Combe championship to boost numbers. Circuit selection would be key to this, so not sure how many of the regulars would go to Cadwell Park for example.

I would love to be able to race in a national championship taking in races at Brands, Silverstone Nat, Oulton Park, Donny Park and Castle Combe, which would be pretty spot on. Could it attract a championship sponsor, TV coverage and the support of a decent club it could be a winner. It's something lots of us have spoken about in the past, what worries me is the amount of work it would take to get off the ground. Even the simple concept of the Kings of Kent Championship did not work.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 12:27 (Ref:2051077)   #6
Redracer77
Veteran

Cheers for the reply Stu, I picked Cadwell as it is one of the best circuits in the UK to race and we have very few chances to do so. I am sure if you raced at Cadwell you will see why. It is Mega. Donington would also be good but no space at that meeting.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 12:57 (Ref:2051098)   #7
ff90
Racer

ff90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like MSV all over again which was extremely good value and offered a chance to do other tracks, still think a hot lap ride round Cadwell would be the best passenger ride in the country. It never took off poss down to very late advertising so if it’s going to work must be published early.

Sorry RR77 just read your PM don’t know how I missed it but you probably know the answers by now.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 13:40 (Ref:2051119)   #8
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Walshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
For this to work, it needs sorting and promoting sooner rather than later though..........
Old 25 Oct 2007, 14:42 (Ref:2051157)   #9
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No trouble at all filling the brands rounds not sure about cadwell though, Like wise snetterton might not be that popular but donington silverstone and combe and oulton would be full too IMO

Why have it a free practice why not two qualifying sessions best time from either to count?

Last edited by Triple J Motorsport; 25 Oct 2007 at 14:45.

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 25 Oct 2007, 14:48 (Ref:2051164)   #10
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
In terms of circuits; Cadwell is fantastic, and I would love to go there again, however this isn't the view of the majority imo as many don't know anything about it and it is a long way away. It sounds good, but it won't get the entries in reality (SOM 2003 and MSV rounds in 2005 proved this with very few entries compared to rounds at more central and well known circuits).

There are some great circuits that are rarely visited: Croft, Knockhill, Snet, Pembrey and of course Cadwell, but I would say leave them out as history has shown that most will not travel no matter how good it is and it will lead to trouble (the whole Midlands south championship/fiasco ignored this).

May I suggest:

Silverstone
Donny
Brands
Oulton
Combe

I love Mallory and its easy to organise with BARC I would think, but no one will go. Also any foreign rounds (Ireland or Spa) would only appeal to a few.

If it stuck to the "big 5" then I see no reason why it could not be a huge success.

*edit* kind of beaten me to it John

Last edited by Asp; 25 Oct 2007 at 16:17. Reason: Autocensor dodge
Old 25 Oct 2007, 14:58 (Ref:2051172)   #11
Triple J Motorsport
Veteran

England
Burgess Hill W Sussex
Triple J Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More in depth though Justin

3rd 2009 & 2012 FFZetec festival final
Old 25 Oct 2007, 15:09 (Ref:2051191)   #12
youngoldy
Racer

United Kingdom
Somewhereorotherville
youngoldy has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
If grid sizes can first be talked about, I believe that the BRSCC wants around 15-18 entries before giving a new championship its go ahead.

Our Nige would really like to do it. We see many people over the year, ourselves included, who will travel all over the country to go racing. And even then, it is in a different championship. So bringing a national championship together could prove an ideal solution to this.

The NW season could run next yeasr, as can the MS. But when this national championship goes to Oulton, race in the NW race. Likewise at Silverstone for the MS round. And when the championship goes to Combe, all the entries will race in the Combe FF1600 race.

But to run the championship races at the same time as the NW or MS, make yourself only legible for national championship points if you first sign up to the championship at the start of the year, that way you may finish 3rd on the road in the regional race, but 1st in the national race. That way, you don't get people ruining your championship hopes and taking points away from the national championship if the title goes to the last race, no need to run another FF race at a particular meeting, and may get people who run in just the NW or MS to enter the national championship.
Old 25 Oct 2007, 15:25 (Ref:2051215)   #13
Matt22
Rookie

Matt22 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds great to me. Being based in London, BH is very close and then Mallory, Silv and Combe are about two hours away.

I've always thought a Silverstone/ Brands champ would be ideal. The MS rounds at Silverstone were well supported, and Brands is always well supported (nowadays anyway!). If it were to race at Combe I'd have thought it would be combined with the local champs race. Not been to Mallory as yet so can't comment.

In terms of free practice - great idea. If you havn't been to the circuit or need to check the engine or car or whatever then it saves a booking a practice day. As long as there is enough time between practice and quali!
Old 26 Oct 2007, 11:00 (Ref:2051890)   #14
JustinDawkins
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcester - UK
....oh and no 20 minute races please, they just go on and on....

...and on ............

....and on......

Alhtough I don't know if most people prefer the extra track time or not, I suspect not as they do drag.
Old 26 Oct 2007, 11:06 (Ref:2051892)   #15
Redracer77
Veteran

My ideal Championship would have been -

Brands
Donington
Cadwell
Thruxton
Old 26 Oct 2007, 11:22 (Ref:2051902)   #16
Ian Sowman
Veteran

Ian Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridIan Sowman should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
With Justin on the race distance thing - 12-15 minutes is plenty. Perhaps 13 minutes plus one lap!
Old 26 Oct 2007, 12:41 (Ref:2051966)   #17
kartingdad
Veteran

kartingdad has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
All double headers on the same day. 1 set of tyres per meeting.
Old 31 Oct 2007, 12:21 (Ref:2055816)   #18
MattW
Rookie

England
Kent
MattW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like an excellent idea Chris.

I have sold my Formula Renault and I'm looking into buying another kent.

I would be really interested if I can get a decent car.

Anyone know of any good cars out there?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 21:47 (Ref:2058213)   #19
gixxer
Veteran

England
trowbridge wilts
gixxer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep bring it to combe the more fford the better

And to make things even more intresting have a draw for the top ten positions on the grid regardless where you qualify or even reverse the second race
Old 4 Nov 2007, 19:41 (Ref:2059503)   #20
flatbroke
Racer

flatbroke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
is this gonna happen? I will do this series
Old 7 Nov 2007, 13:20 (Ref:2062113)   #21
Redracer77
Veteran

the feedback has been really good so far. What this space....
Old 11 Nov 2007, 21:59 (Ref:2065207)   #22
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redracer77
What this space....
You gone all hip hop on us????

Don't you mean Watch this space my boy?

Quick one. Why are you getting all 'on one' about FF1600 when your hat is firmly on the peg of F4??????
Old 12 Nov 2007, 17:37 (Ref:2065784)   #23
itsonlyme
Racer

England
itsonlyme has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Where have you been hiding Walshy?
You missed a cracking WHT, you should have gone down to watch it and you could have stayed at the Green Man too cos i believe that there was a few rooms available last minute due to cancelations...............
Old 12 Nov 2007, 20:17 (Ref:2065938)   #24
Walshy
Veteran

England
Lancashire
Hi dude.

Been really busy matey setting things up for the new business.

Gutted I missed it, but there's always next year. Sounded like a really good do to.

Add to that I was in the Hospital last week. The doctor got the old bricks out..........................................
Old 20 Nov 2007, 19:28 (Ref:2071938)   #25
vector-pat
Rookie

England
Newbury, Berks
vector-pat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If there was a chance to have a race at Thruxton - who would be interested? The one back in 04 (I think) was great even if I didn't get passed the Complex on lap one of the second race !! With Adrian Cottrell in retirement it may give everyone else a chance.