Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 23 Jun 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1338294)   #1
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Westfield @ Brands Hatch

Anyone got any idea what they've done to Westfields out on the Grand prix loop at Brands? This weekends Belcar and GT race meeting will be the first guys on it and I'm cuirous what they've done...
Old 23 Jun 2005, 13:23 (Ref:1338330)   #2
Elio
Veteran

Elio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very little! If you`re familiar with the old alignment and you are going this weekend I almost guarantee that you`ll stand there looking at it and puzzle to yourself just WHAT they`ve actually done!

It`s very subtle. The first right-hand element of the corner now turns a few feet later than it used to, making the corner tighter. If you`re familiar with standing in the spectator enclosure inside the apex of that first bend you`ll now notice that the track is a few feet further away from you than it used to be.

The main difference is the run-off. A rather large chunk of woodland has now vanished on the outside of the corner to be replaced by a large, inviting gravel trap. Also gone is the old (ie original) tarmac of Westfield which used to be visible beyond the old gravel trap.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 13:29 (Ref:1338336)   #3
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought they werent allowed to chop into the Woodland ?
Old 23 Jun 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1338401)   #4
Elio
Veteran

That`s precisely what I thought!

Also, from Hawthorns right the way round to Westfield (ie. behind the Derek Minter Straight) there has been a lot of "pruning"!! It was mid-May when I last ventured out there so now the trees are in full leaf it mightn`t look so "thin" - but back in May the woodland looked very thinned-out. I can`t understand why this was done as it was on the outside of the circuit along a straight (ie not to make way for a gravel trap or to move barriers back or anything). I can only assume that in order to be allowed to fell trees at Westfield the circuit owners might have agreed to carry out some "management" of the remaining woodland - ie clearing saplings, ivy, dead wood etc etc.......
Old 24 Jun 2005, 07:09 (Ref:1338985)   #5
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cheers Elio. Always know you can get an answer on here! I was thinking of marshalling out there this weekend so I shall let you all know how the corner behaves now!
Old 24 Jun 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1339527)   #6
Elio
Veteran

Spent the day at Brands today but stayed around the pits. However, one of my spies who ventured out to Westfield in the afternoon told me that the new surface is breaking-up!! Could be some serious problems... there`s a lot of hefty machinery to go through that corner in the next 2 days.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 20:03 (Ref:1340040)   #7
Alfaholic
Veteran

England
Felixstowe
Alfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAlfaholic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw no sign of the track breaking up, but I did notice a dip in the track where the old and new surfaces met on the entry to Westfield - unfortunately it seems to be right on the braking point.

Work has also been carried out at Hawthorns Bend to install a very large gravel trap but without altering the circuit.

As the trees have been thinned out, it certainly seems a lot lighter round the back of the circuit, even on a gloomy day like today.
Old 25 Jun 2005, 22:40 (Ref:1340115)   #8
Elio
Veteran

I must admit, I wandered round in the final race today and the track did look OK at Westfield..... Got back just in time to see the finish.... I`ll be interested to see the repercussions out of that one!!!! Great days racing.
Old 27 Jun 2005, 09:23 (Ref:1340870)   #9
Rod Birley
Veteran

England
West Kingsdown (near Brands Hatch)
Rod Birley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver was excluded from that race, but allowed to race on Sunday.