Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 27 Oct 2009, 09:33 (Ref:2570631)   #1
pauln
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
pauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpauln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Times article is at http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/spo...cle6889870.ece
Old 27 Oct 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2570632)   #2
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
Firstly, great advertising for the marshals so yey for that - shame they didn't put in a web link mind you!

However, the overall tone of the article was, I thought, a bit harsh. Ok so Abu Dhabi has no tradition of motorracing, but it has to start somewhere. At least they're taking an interest and it's a new source of financing for a sport that is slowly starting to decline. I think a bit of fresh blood can only be a good thing?
Old 27 Oct 2009, 11:19 (Ref:2570670)   #3
warweezil
Racer

England
Half way up on the left - far from Home
warweezil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the tone is about right, especially given Bernie's eagerness to sell out slots to the highest bidder. In a generations time, will there be any European GPs left for the next generation of European Marshals to cover? Once the local populace is experienced and producing its own manning there will be no need for operations like the Abu Dhabi expedition.

It could happen that in 20 years the imbalance of revenue between the circuits and the "Rights Holder" will lead to more circuits being declared "unfit" through lack of available investment income due to ridiculous fees demanded by BE and his cohorts and those slots being sold off across the world, making "live" F1 unaccessible to its current fan base both by cost and logistics.

The carcass of F1 is already being devoured by the jackals. As ever the ordinary people will lose out. Do we really want to see that happen? I have little interest in F1 now, its been hammered out of me over the years, but I do know that for many of the Marshals I have met in my limited experience, it marks a high spot in their year. I just hope that it wont soon be lost to them forever.

Just My Opinion.... YMMV
Old 27 Oct 2009, 13:43 (Ref:2570764)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Personally I think it's a very good critique of modern F1 and it's current leadership and I found myself nodding along with the vast majority of it. I'm not sure why AD needs to start anywhere at the expense of long-standing events with huge fan bases and the experience of running such events.

I thought the marshalling bit was very well put, and showed some understanding, or at least research, of how it happens. Marshalling for free is something that's very hard to explain to those who do it, but for once the article didn't suggest that anyone had a problem with not being paid. It simply pointed out the irony of having to import without payment those who actually make the event run and on whom the drivers lives may depend while paying huge sums in sanctioning fees.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 14:23 (Ref:2570789)   #5
Paul Newns
Veteran

Paul Newns should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I always think a GP should be a country's reward for supporting grass roots motorsport, without which the future drivers, engineers, mechanics, et al will have no-where to hone their skills. I hate the modern trend of awarding GPs to the highest bidder. It robs the true fans of the opportunity to experience F1 first hand. Silverstone, Monza, Nurburgring 100,000+, some of the new races have empty grandstands. Tradition should come before dollars. But I'm just a sentimental old fool and Bernie has more money than some African states. So who is right?
Old 27 Oct 2009, 14:26 (Ref:2570790)   #6
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ok - so how does AD get some grass roots motorsport?
Old 27 Oct 2009, 17:15 (Ref:2570864)   #7
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilPumpkin View Post
ok - so how does AD get some grass roots motorsport?

...does it have to start with some grass seed
Old 27 Oct 2009, 19:22 (Ref:2570941)   #8
Desertadventurer
Rookie

United Kingdom
Dubai
Desertadventurer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Whilst I agree with the point about the 'nouveau riche' Middle and Far East circuits lining Bernie's pockets by taking F1 away from its core supporters in Europe, the Times is also back on its 'Lets-bash-the-UAE' hobbyhorse again.

It reads to the unitiated that to have volunteer marshals is not the norm, when it unquestionably is. It also fails to mention that the 350 UK marshals are only half the total. The balance are UAE residents/nationals - including me - and many of us have several years marshalling experience at Dubai and elsewhere.

Finally, to imply that the UAE is bereft of a motorsport scene shows the writer's complete ignorance of the true situation. Next year we will compete in the 20th edition of the UAE Desert Challenge, one of the toughest off-road events in the world, and a round of the FIA Cross Country Championship. Dubai Autodrome has been staging FIA events since its opening in 2004, and has a very active club scene both for cars and bikes. Yas Island isn't just about the F1 - it will provide another high class motorsport venue to further encourage motorsport competition in the region.

The event is totally sold out, so hopefully the grandstands should be full (and that those lucky enough to get 'corporate' tickets will actually use them!).

Last weekend's test was a great experience, not just technically but for the great cameraderie between the UK team and us 'novices'. We're all looking forward to making our first F1 a great success.
Old 27 Oct 2009, 20:05 (Ref:2570972)   #9
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the article extremely well balanced - loved the bit where "Bernie prefers the rustle of a dollar bill to the sound of a V8 engine"!

And with today's continuing updates on the Donington saga, what can one say?

As to other events - we have just corresponded with BARC about the possibility of going to the Masters event in AD in Jan 2010 so are awaiting a reply.

There are a number of events planned (to make sure they keep the licence??) and Bill & I are happy to undertake a training role if we can get to go to those events - how else are the "locals" going to learn and then undertake the roles themselves. I wonder what reciprocal arrangements are in place so that the AD folk can attend and learn at more "elderly" circuits (eg Silverstone) which have honed their "stuff" to near as d***n it perfection.