Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > National & Club Racing

Old 29 Aug 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1999544)   #1
TIMELORD
Racer

England
TIMELORD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Birkett Relay 2007

I see from the 750MC website that the Birkett Relay is now full. Anyone out there entered? What are you driving? Who's in your team and what is it called?
Old 29 Aug 2007, 21:22 (Ref:1999566)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Full...already...I can't wait!!
Old 29 Aug 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1999579)   #3
TIMELORD
Racer

England
Neither can I! The Birkett is definitely the best race of the year - six hours of constant action from such a vast selection of cars ... heaven!
Old 30 Aug 2007, 07:39 (Ref:1999844)   #4
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's still Oct 27th right....? That's what I have down...
Old 30 Aug 2007, 07:57 (Ref:1999857)   #5
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We are entred "THE SPITFIRE SQUADRON" a team of Triumph Spitfires i know there is another team of Triumphs called the Sports Six Pack last year they had to run the last 2 hours with one! Cant wait
Old 30 Aug 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1999944)   #6
TIMELORD
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze
It's still Oct 27th right....? That's what I have down...
Yes, Saturday 27th October.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 11:04 (Ref:1999957)   #7
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMELORD
I see from the 750MC website that the Birkett Relay is now full. Anyone out there entered? What are you driving? Who's in your team and what is it called?
Hi, I am in a team of M3's (and my RX7) - The Toyo Tyres Lunchtime Legends..

Stacy
Old 30 Aug 2007, 11:17 (Ref:1999965)   #8
Stacy
Veteran

Australia
Stacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStacy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMELORD
Hi, I am in a team of M3's (and my RX7) - The Toyo Tyres Lunchtime Legends..

Stacy
Old 30 Aug 2007, 12:45 (Ref:2000026)   #9
TIMELORD
Racer

England
Ian#51: I take it you must be Ian Smythe? I see you did a 1:18.9 during practice at Silverstone in March. Are you expecting roughly the same at the Birkett? Who is making up the rest The Spitfire Squadron (and the Sports Six Pack)?.

Stacy: From your Oddball Racing website I see that you are having a pretty good season in Classic Touring Cars and Pre-93 Saloons. Who will be in the M3s in your team?
Old 30 Aug 2007, 13:30 (Ref:2000055)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I usually hate endurance type racing, but this is one meeting not to be missed. Is there a published list yet or are we a bit early?!
Old 30 Aug 2007, 14:28 (Ref:2000112)   #11
TIMELORD
Racer

England
I don't think there is anything published on the 750MC website yet. I've e-mailed the club to see if they might have a list available, but I suspect it may be a bit early.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 14:49 (Ref:2000123)   #12
IAN #51
Racer

England
WALSALL WEST MIDS
IAN #51 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ian#51: I take it you must be Ian Smythe? I see you did a 1:18.9 during practice at Silverstone in March. Are you expecting roughly the same at the Birkett? Who is making up the rest The Spitfire Squadron (and the Sports Six Pack)?.

Thats me im hoping to improve on that time as in the race my nearest competitor in the race broke down after about lap 6 in the race i never had the chance to push realy hard.

SPITFIRE SQUADRON. TEAM MANAGER JOHN DAVIES
IAN SMYTHE JOHN YARNELL MARK HADFIELD MIK DAVIES SIMON CONGDON RICHARD KING all in Spitfires

SPORTS SIX PACK,TEAM MANAGER ANGELA GIBBINS ?
(I MIGHT BE WRONG ABOUT THIS LINE-UP THOUGH) JON WOLFE (GT6) NIGEL GIBBINS (SPITFIRE) DAVE THOMPSON (GT6) MARTIN STACKPOOLE (SPITFIRE) KEVAN HADFIELD (TR4/HERALD COUPE TBC) ANDY VOWELL (SPITFIRE)

The first team was blessed with 100% reliability last year (though i wasnt in the driving team) lets hope it continues this year.

The second team is packed full of blisteringly fast drivers with very quick cars but reliability could be there downfall this year.as it nearly was last year.

Last edited by IAN #51; 30 Aug 2007 at 14:54.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 16:48 (Ref:2000195)   #13
TorqueWench
Racer

United Kingdom
Sunny Berkshire
TorqueWench should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Chapmans Chariots will be there yet again with Lotus 7s (optimum situation being one rattling round out there, one wobbly one waiting if it breaks down and three being mended with a final one as a donor car!)

Also the all-girl team of BWRDC is back (Les Femmes Fatales) with me in the Lancia, Celia in her BMW, Helen in the Fiesta and 2 more girls I haven;t met yet!

Mind you, we have to get back unscathed from Nordschleife and Spa first!
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:35 (Ref:2000293)   #14
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Darnit!

Are they running on the National, International, or GP circuit this year?

If they ran on the GP, they could start more teams!!!

Maybe next year, a team of ASCARs.......

Rob.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 19:57 (Ref:2000316)   #15
TIMELORD
Racer

England
It'll be on the National circuit. The maximum number of entries will be fifty teams, which is well in excess of the circuit's usual maximum of forty starters, and the beauty of the Birkett is that there will always be fifty cars circulating (barring disasters), as each team has between four and six cars at it's disposal.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 21:14 (Ref:2000405)   #16
TIMELORD
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueWench
Chapmans Chariots will be there yet again with Lotus 7s (optimum situation being one rattling round out there, one wobbly one waiting if it breaks down and three being mended with a final one as a donor car!)
Do you know yet what the line-up will be for Chapmans Chariots?

The Nordschleife and Spa? Blimey, the Swinging Sixties series gets to race at some great places!
Old 31 Aug 2007, 06:26 (Ref:2000613)   #17
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This always used to be one of my favorite events,glad to see nothings changed like sandbagging on lao times .My last one was 2004,I think,and it was memerable for the amount of time the pace car was on circuit for,I spent something like 25min,s behind it in one session,most of the time lost was caused by A] Radicals not being particularly kind in overtaking the Austin Sevens.B]The other vintage cars dropping so much oil.C] Silly Driving Standards. Such a shame because it could be soooo good,provided it was run on say,the International or GP circuits, national is just not big enough for the speed differences I,m afraid.

Last edited by terence; 31 Aug 2007 at 06:30.
Old 31 Aug 2007, 22:25 (Ref:2001104)   #18
TIMELORD
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Such a shame because it could be soooo good,provided it was run on say,the International or GP circuits, national is just not big enough for the speed differences I,m afraid.
I see from the Britcar 24 Hour regs that they can start up to 80 on the GP circuit (96 can practice)! I don't know if this would be the case for the Birkett though, if it ever got to run on the GP circuit. The speed differential between fastest and slowest at last year's Britcar 24hrs was about 133%, whereas the Birkett is usually closer to 150% between the fastest and slowest. This might have an effect on the numbers cleared to start (I don't really know how they work that out).

Having said that, I do think that having it on the Silverstone National circuit lends it a certain charm... So much action in such a confined space!
Old 31 Aug 2007, 22:49 (Ref:2001119)   #19
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
The number of starters is calcuated by some complicated formula that takes into account the length and width of the circuit and some other factors.

One key thing is money. The hire of the national circuit is enough as it is without the increase for the GP circuit. Ok so you can start more cars, but I can guaruntee that it would put entry fees up...
Old 1 Sep 2007, 00:03 (Ref:2001129)   #20
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello all - this is my first post on this forum so be gentle with me!

The money thing is a big consideration its true but from my experience of the Birkett it is over subscribed every year. It would be interesting to know how much more it would cost to run it on the International circuit vs. the additional revenue from being able to start more cars. To my mind the International is streets ahead of the National circuit anyway.

Still its a great event - just hope we survive the Nordshliefe and then Spa the weekend before - its just way too much fun with the CSCC this year! Looking forward to seeing the "chariots" out too - that powder blue and polished ally one is my #1 favourite car in the series.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 08:16 (Ref:2001209)   #21
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
Over subscrition is one thing, but you have to take into account how much you are over subscribed by. Now I bet the birkett is massively over subscribed, but do they get enough entries to warrant going up to the interanational or GP circuits?

Also you have to take into consideration the races that are happening before. Now many of you are mentioning the nordschleife and also spa occuring in the weeks leading up to the event, this could mean that you could lose a lot of cars and therefore teams could pull out and then you end up without a full grid. We have had this issue with Brands Hatch and the DMN series over buying a second grid...we had 12 reserves at one point for one of the rounds and there were calls for a second grid. By the time it came to race day we had 32 cars left...which is one gridful.

Also finally you have to consider the greater requirement of marshals etc that would be needed for a larger ciruit. Is your event going to attract enough to cover the circuit. The last thing you need is to get all the cars and teams ready to go and then find that the MSA steward says no due to the marshalling numbers

I'd love to see the birkett on a bigger circuit, but just not sure if its practical.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 17:16 (Ref:2001373)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think there will be more than enough cars to fill any shortfall from Spa etc. We have a team going and also have plenty of people willing to stand in as reserves.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 18:20 (Ref:2001396)   #23
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
I don't doubt for the national that there is...I just don't know if there would be for the other circuits.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 18:43 (Ref:2001414)   #24
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I haven't been but going to try and be there this year - and looking forward to seeing so many cars on the National Circuit.

If memory serves me right, the International Circuit is only about half a mile longer than the National Circuit - don't know how much extra the circuit hire is, but they could get a few more starters and sure there's enough interest to provide the marshals as well. Maybe one for the future.

[FWIW the GP circuit is just under 3.2 miles so about double the length of the National circuit].
Old 1 Sep 2007, 19:10 (Ref:2001427)   #25
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
The GP circuit is crazy though I'm sure for the 24 hour they can start something stupid like 120 cars!