Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Aug 2006, 13:50 (Ref:1676569)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Andrew Ranger out

I heard that Ranger who is 6th in the stanings is out for the grand prix of Denver.
And quite possibly for the rest of the season..
I wonder who'll replace him.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 14:10 (Ref:1676589)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen that Enrico Toccacelo, who was pretty handy in F3000 and World Series, had been testing at Elkhart with Conquest...
Old 7 Aug 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1676632)   #3
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ranger will be at Montreal.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 14:46 (Ref:1676640)   #4
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi
I've seen that Enrico Toccacelo, who was pretty handy in F3000 and World Series, had been testing at Elkhart with Conquest...
Could be. However Rryan Briscore tested for them a few months back at Portland instead of Ranger.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1676724)   #5
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordi

Enrico also competed for Italy in A1 GP and was fairly impressive.

a shame if this happens really because Ranger is starting to show results on his experience so far.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 17:17 (Ref:1676789)   #6
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ranger's 5th in the standings...hardly unimpressive.

Obviously the RuSport ride is a high possibility
Old 7 Aug 2006, 17:48 (Ref:1676813)   #7
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wouldn't look good for the championship if the guy in 5th can't compete in a whole season. If money is an issue than it would make sense for him to be parachuted into the RuSport seat while Mi-Jack go hunt for another pay-driver.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 22:34 (Ref:1677102)   #8
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In fairness a lot of the drivers have been very inconsistant who have generally been faster than Ranger, so it's more a "lucky 5th." I would like to see Ranger in the series and we've seen that he has it in him to be a contender. He's just not consistant enough yet.
Old 7 Aug 2006, 23:07 (Ref:1677118)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Reminds me of 2002 when Max Papis after the first few rounds was very high up in the standings for Sigma Autosport. He was begging team owners to sign him up as Sigma only lasted untill around Motegi time I think and I think also he had a good podium finish at Long Beach.

However Andrew is far from that. He is only there down to the fact he's finished oftern, other then that I haven't heard his name mentioned all year long!

Latest rumors show that Ryan Hunter-Reay is a possible candidate to replace him.

Amusingly, they have both had similar careers.

They both in their 3rd or so race had a podium finish. Rest of season they lived on that. Then in their second year they were no where...
Old 8 Aug 2006, 01:13 (Ref:1677175)   #10
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But isnt the point of a championship to reward the people that finish the races? If you're fast but never get to the finish then why should you be rewarded? For this reason there is nothing 'lucky' about Ranger's championship position-he just was there at the finish to score the points.

It would be very bad if Ranger lost his seat. He might be a good replacement at RuSPORT whilst da Matta is away but it would be nice if it didn't take another driver to get injured to give the 5th place driver a drive in the championship. Champ Car is improving but this is still an area that must be improved IMO. It just looks scrappy when half the field is relying on their sponsors good will as much as results to retain a drive. Ranger may not have exceded his sponsors expectations but they were being more than a little stupid if they thought he'd be much further up the rankings in a Conquest car.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 8 Aug 2006, 03:20 (Ref:1677218)   #11
drewdawg727
Veteran

United States
New York
drewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddrewdawg727 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ranger has finished 2nd once...actually i think it's twice...? He's a hard racer for someone who's 19 years old.
Old 8 Aug 2006, 04:24 (Ref:1677238)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He has also drove conservatively due to a lack of budget. That should be taken into account.

It's clear da matta is out for the year, so Ranger should be given the opportunity at rusport.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 00:13 (Ref:1678874)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
According to the team's race preview, Andrew will be at Denver.
Old 10 Aug 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1679334)   #14
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
According to the team's race preview, Andrew will be at Denver.
Which I guess brings us back to what was your source that Ranger was leaving?
Old 11 Aug 2006, 07:19 (Ref:1679727)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess I'll see tomorrow first hand whether he is in or out.
Old 13 Aug 2006, 20:10 (Ref:1681459)   #16
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
well Ranger is In Denver and he will be in the car again in Montreal according to Jeremy Shaw.

after that who knows ?
Old 14 Aug 2006, 04:41 (Ref:1681744)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
He is here. I stood right next to him.

I thought he was doing an excellent job and he deserves a permanent ride. Too bad he went out.
Old 14 Aug 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1681969)   #18
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard
Which I guess brings us back to what was your source that Ranger was leaving?
Here is the situation if you want it that badly!

Eric Bahelart's plan was to have Enrico Toccacelo at Denver and the remainder of the season. However from a quote, he didn't feel Enrico was ready fro Denver in the end. Andrew will be at Montreal as planned, however his financial situation will tetermine whether Enrico will start from Road America.

Last edited by luke; 14 Aug 2006 at 10:13.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 09:56 (Ref:1683988)   #19
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A driver who finished as runner-up in F3000 and has already tested in ChampCars should be ready. Not as ready as someone who has been finishing in the top 10 so regularly, which I hope is the crux of the issue, but still ready.
Old 16 Aug 2006, 10:45 (Ref:1684035)   #20
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
A driver who finished as runner-up in F3000 and has already tested in ChampCars should be ready. Not as ready as someone who has been finishing in the top 10 so regularly, which I hope is the crux of the issue, but still ready.
We thought the same for Pizzonia, del Monte, etc...
Old 27 Aug 2006, 18:02 (Ref:1693933)   #21
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Ranger is in Montreal this weekend with sponsorship from Wal Mart , apparently this deal will help him finish the season
Old 27 Aug 2006, 18:12 (Ref:1693943)   #22
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yep. Acording to the TV feed. Great news. And new sponsers.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 16:08 (Ref:1698619)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A major consumer-based sponsor as well, which is the main positive sign the championship has been missing in recent years.
Old 31 Aug 2006, 23:38 (Ref:1698904)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Maybe we should change the thread title to "Andrew Ranger In For Good".
Old 1 Sep 2006, 01:26 (Ref:1698944)   #25
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the deal was only to last out the season. I'll believe "for good" if they give him a multi-year contract after this.