Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 5 Feb 2005, 02:04 (Ref:1217918)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Rolex 24. Don't Miss It!

Just a reminder, albeit a late one, to tune into the Rolex 24 Hours of Daytona tommorrow on Speed Channel here at 12 PM. It'll be the first chance to see our IRL drivers competing this year in a star studded race featuring drivers from the sports car world, NASCAR, Champ Cars and our own IRL. You can also tune into there web site for live timing and scoring at www.grandamerican.com

Here's the IRL contingent:

Ryan Briscoe
Scott Dixon
Dario Franchitti
Darren Manning
Buddy Rice
Scott Sharp
Dan Wheldon
Bryan Herta

With 73 cars, and some of the best drivers in the world, it should be a great one!

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2005, 03:08 (Ref:1217943)   #2
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the link!
It's racing season....yippee!!!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2005, 11:40 (Ref:1218068)   #3
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am waiting for the green flag and i get the house to myself for the first few hours! all the hooting and hollering i want. it is always a good thin to start racing
Old 5 Feb 2005, 11:44 (Ref:1218073)   #4
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can we listen to it on the net????

whats the link & whend does it start!!!!
Old 5 Feb 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1218086)   #5
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
Ryan Brisco's team has pole
Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:00 (Ref:1218088)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can see this error creeping up frequently during the year, because I've seen it a lot this winter.

It's BRISCOE - with an E.

Old 5 Feb 2005, 12:02 (Ref:1218092)   #7
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia

still do u know where i can hear it live on the net
Old 5 Feb 2005, 14:19 (Ref:1218176)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Scott Dixon put his car in 5th starting position! Nice job there.

I have no idea where you can listen to the race on the web oz. There's no TV coverage down under for this race? I'm surprised...

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2005, 14:29 (Ref:1218184)   #9
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
read this about Audio

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...77#post1218177
Old 5 Feb 2005, 14:30 (Ref:1218185)   #10
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrevhead

still do u know where i can hear it live on the net
I just found out that the GARRA web site will have live audio, and the chat room in the sports car forum will be open, so get over there and enjoy the race!

Danica Patrick
Old 5 Feb 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1218234)   #11
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GP...have you got a link for that ?

Last edited by Sato san; 5 Feb 2005 at 15:58.
Old 5 Feb 2005, 15:54 (Ref:1218235)   #12
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
here's the link - www.grandamerican.com

Danica Patrick
Old 6 Feb 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1218759)   #13
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Well, with 4 hours left to go in the race, we still have a few of our guys in the top 10.

Lokks like Dixon/Manning are doing very well, and are sitting in 4th a few laps down. Manning is setting fast laps right now. Dixon was helping his crew fix the car during the night. Good stuff!

Franchitti had a very tough first stint yesterday, getting black flagged for jumping the start, and then took a tour through the grass, but his team is just out of the top 10 at the moment.

Herta is having a good race and his team is sitting in 7th. He seems to be really enjoying himself.

Buddy Rice was doing very well early on, but had trouble overnight and are now sitting 16th overall.

Dan Wheldon is out, as is Scott Sharp. I'm not sure if Briscoe is out, but I think he is...

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2005, 21:19 (Ref:1219776)   #14
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
I had a good time watching this race. I drank some beers late into the night, and woke early in the morning and drank some coffee. Got to love these 24 hr races!

Here's how our guys did:

The team of Dixon/Manning/Mears came in 6th overall. A great effort, considering none of these guys are sports car drivers.

Briscoe came in 7th, as his team, Prutt/Diaz, made a strong comeback from alot of trouble.

Herta came in 9th and was doing well until late trouble hurt his standings.

Franchitti made a comment I found strange, "I had alot of fun, except for a few idiots out there". Well, I watched his stints, and the only idiot I saw out there was him! He got black flagged for jumping the start, missed the chicane and took a damaging ride through the grass, and then bumped a GT car very hard, making a move he had no business making! Oh well, him and teamate Wheldon didn't finish.

Also out were Sharp, who was as high as 5th, and Rice.

OK, I'm ready for some IRL action!

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1219786)   #15
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I thought Dario's remarks a bit odd myself, especially after watching him thump the GT as they went through the corner before the banking. He had been following the guy for some time, and then seemingly decides to force the pass just as the GT was moving towards his apex - I mean at that point he HAD to or else he would just stuff it into the very hard concrete wall.

Methinks Dario spent too much time as PT's team mate...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Feb 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1219803)   #16
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
Thats not the first time Dario has blamed other drivers for mishaps. I thought he ran a miserable race myself. He's beginning to sound very Junquera-like!

I felt awful for Tony stewart, who again had the race in the bag, but came up short due to a freak mechanical problem. Max Crawford said in his 3 years of running DP cars, he's never had a gearbox break,,,, until now! Tony can truly drive anything out there, and do it well. Casey Mears was also impressive, and is proving to be a real good all-around driver. Shame to see these guys in NASCAR.

But all things said about the crossover drivers, Angelelli, Pruett, and Papis were the class of this sports car field.

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2005, 22:50 (Ref:1219836)   #17
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didn't see the aforementioned Dario incident, so I can't really comment on it. However I would be willing to give him some slack in regards to his comments about some of the other drivers in the field. I have heard similiar comments from other top tier drivers when they have gone endurance racing. For instance there was a Porsche full of teenagers out there. They are probably pretty capable drivers but inexperience probably came into play at more than a few points throughout the race for them.
It has to be frustrating having to race around mobile chicanes for 24hrs.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 7 Feb 2005, 23:03 (Ref:1219847)   #18
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
It's probably even more frustrating to BE the mobile chicane!

I brought up Darios comment because it now seem's to be a regular thing with him. He's made a few comments about guys in the IRL to, that I thought weren't quite justified either, IMO. Junky has abit of a reputation as a complainer, that I wouldn't want to see Dario get. I'll give him some slack though as you say, but I'll be listening to see what he says in the future.

I would like to hear what that Porsche driver had to say about Dario's ill advised pass though!

Danica Patrick
Old 7 Feb 2005, 23:14 (Ref:1219851)   #19
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't speak for his complaining in the IRL but I do recall him moaning quite a bit when he was in CART. I doubt he'll ever be as bad as Bruno though, that guy probably complains that rain is too wet.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 8 Feb 2005, 02:41 (Ref:1219945)   #20
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Well, moaning aside I wonder what these guys would have to say if they were doing this 25 - 30 years ago when you had all manner of vehicles out there in a sort of "Run what you brung free for all!" You would have everything from MG's to Ferrari's to whatever Porsche had in the lab: Kremer 935's or those ridiculously quick 962's.

Having two classes out there essentially eliminates all the really fun stuff!

Dario would have been crying for a month, Junky would have had a breakdown (nervous) and D Bell or B Wolleck would have given Bourdais a whack on the head for binning it!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 8 Feb 2005, 15:44 (Ref:1220486)   #21
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No wonder AGR call Dario,Princess Dario. Dario kind of sucked all the Bad Karma into the #2 car when he jumped the start.

Dan had to be doing well,because he wasn't mentioned more then a few times,and he didn't have any offs or mis-haps with other cars.