Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 4 Aug 2003, 13:42 (Ref:679616)   #1
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RC Cars - main thread!

Hey all, just wondering if anyone knows of any info regarding 1:8 to 1:12 scale Formula 1 kitset RC cars by Tamiya. I desperately want the McLaren Honda MP4/6 that came out freakin years ago - 1994 i think, or 1995, the itself is from the 1992 F1 season. I have been to the local Model shop and for us kiwis here in Christchurch, that shop is Acorn Models, they couldn't help me regarding that particular RC model - does anyone know of where there are online catalogues at all? The tamiya website is not in english and I can't seem to change the text format so its impossible to read!
I am also particularly interested in getting an RC glow car (they use an internal combustion engine), not sure whether F1s are available but someone may know.
Old 4 Aug 2003, 14:29 (Ref:679658)   #2
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I think I am the expert here..... I have loads of R/C cars, both electric and nitro, so ask me and I should know!

I am a member of http://www.tamiyaclub.com/cars.asp and I'm sure you could find someone who has the kit for sale.

That website has plenty of online kit manuals, so I'm not completely sure if they have that particular manual online.

I don't know of a cheap Nitro F1 car still made, but Kyosho did one years ago, so did Carson.
If you desparatly want one, FG do a 1/5th scale one.... but not cheap.

What cars do you have at the moment?
Old 4 Aug 2003, 17:08 (Ref:679778)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You can visit http://www.tamiya.com and take a look at their online catalog and they should also be able to help you with a local dealer. Tamiya has discontinued a lot of the older direct drive 1/10th scale F1 cars in favor of their newer AWD sedan-style Ferrari F1. I have owned and raced several of the Tamiya F101/102/103 F1 cars over the last 8 years or so.

Kyosho made a nitro-powered F1 but I think it has been discontinued as well. Kyosho is bad about not offering a lot of support for their various models over time.

Other F1 kits that have been available at times where the ones made by HPI and Calandra Racing Concepts. Both are not available from the makers now, but may still be floating about for sale. The HPI model uses 1/10th scale foam tires for pan cars and this offers a ton of tuning options. The Calandra was based on their 1/12th scale Carpet Knife racer and offers just a little less tuning options but is probably a better car, however, it is designed to race on ozite carpet instead of on pavement. It has low ground clearance is more delicate than the HPI. There was a kit avaialble out of Japan made by one of the RC tire makers (Cross?) but I cannot recall the name. Also, Hobbico, sold as Duratrax in the US, markets an open wheel chassis as an IRL car but could easily be painted as an F1.

Hope this helps.
Never forget #99
Old 6 Aug 2003, 11:11 (Ref:681152)   #4
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
ah thanks very much, I'll see what I can find. Just bought the 2003 Catalogue today, it seems the MP4/6 isn't available anymore brand new, but there is a load of options to re-create one, maybe not the MP4/6, but certainly the MP4/8, because I could by a chassis/engine set and get the Sauber-Lighthouse spare body set, and re-paint it and get some decals made, it is very similar shape to the MP4/8, it looks like the MP4/13 is available in 1:10 so that would be an option too if I cannot make the Marlboro livery work on an older style F1 car.
I don't have any RC cars at the moment, but I am looking at getting into it. I am a big McLaren fan, so I was looking at two options, the Marlboro liveried McLaren, and the CLK-DTM car in 1:10, with one or two spare shells (Corvette C5 and R34-GTR).

I'll check out those sites now - that was my prob, i went to www.tamiya.com.jp....
Old 6 Aug 2003, 11:12 (Ref:681153)   #5
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I fogot about the Cross FireForce, HPI F1 etc!

There was also the Corally F1 which was very popular in the National F1 series. It ran foams and had the battery in the centre line, much like a 2wd Buggy, North-SOuth on the chassis.
Old 6 Aug 2003, 11:22 (Ref:681164)   #6
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
http://www.formula1-rc.com/

This is THE website for R/C F1!
Old 6 Aug 2003, 12:52 (Ref:681230)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
In the quest for different things to discuss here, lets make this one "sticky" for a while, shall we?
Old 6 Aug 2003, 13:21 (Ref:681257)   #8
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I still intend to get a better R/C car one day. They're too damn expensive though, and i'm not interested in a cheap ready built one either. Building it is half the fun.
I don't have a lot of experience with R/C. I've got a Mini FWD, electric, from Tamiya, and nothing to do with cars, but i've got an R/C America's Cup racing Yacht too. That's more fin than the mini oddly. I love it when there's enough wind and i can out perform my brothers speed boat for pure speed
Old 7 Aug 2003, 07:43 (Ref:681788)   #9
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
my only rc car was a Porsche 911 electric .. quite big car .. but a little slow .. i tried to build my own radio control car .. but it took me too long and i stoped .. that was a few years back

Ciao Marco
Old 7 Aug 2003, 10:54 (Ref:681907)   #10
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
gonna check out that f1-rc cars site now. I just found something worthwhile: the F-103 chassis (As it is called) souped up with many additional parts for more speed, it doesn't come with a shell but I can change that!
I had a look at some of the MP4/13s that some members owned, I am a little disappointed, it doesn't look that good, in that it looks a bit out of proportion, but those MP4/6s look beautiful.
Old 7 Aug 2003, 13:07 (Ref:682000)   #11
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tamiya just released their newest body set for the AWD F1 chassis, last year's Williams FW.
Never forget #99
Old 8 Aug 2003, 11:14 (Ref:682725)   #12
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Any chance of seeing any cars out there?

For Pirenzo, my Mini.
Attached Thumbnails
mini[1].jpg  

Last edited by Hobson; 8 Aug 2003 at 11:18.
Old 8 Aug 2003, 11:20 (Ref:682733)   #13
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
And for touring car fans, my Mean Vectra.....
Attached Thumbnails
vectra[2].jpg  
Old 13 Aug 2003, 14:47 (Ref:687183)   #14
ChevronB16
Rookie

ChevronB16 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great thread!

This will inspire me to dig out my old Tamiya Porsche 959 4WD RC car the next time I'm visiting the folks!

That thing went like the clappers but ate batteries for breakfast....
Old 17 Aug 2003, 09:23 (Ref:690194)   #15
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
I have plenty more pics of my cars if they are wanted............

I have been doing the Schumacher BTCC this year, I'n the Big 6 class for 1/6 scale (hence 'Big') Lotus Elise cars. Very competitive and always great fun to drive.

Heres my results so far:

R1 Hillingdon, West London: Qualified 3rd, Win.
R2 Bedworth, Coventry: Q 2nd, 5th.
R3 Stafford, Q 5th, 5th.
R4 Snetterton, Norfolk (if you don't know), Q 3rd, 2nd.
R5 Aldershot, Hampshire, Q Pole, 2nd.
R6 Bedworth, Coventry, Q 2nd, 2nd.
R7, Hillingdon, West London, Q 5th, Win.
R8 will be at Milton Keynes on September 7th.
R9 will be at Ashby De La Zouch, Leicester on September 31st.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 21:02 (Ref:691636)   #16
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
Any chance of seeing any cars out there?

For Pirenzo, my Mini.
My god

Mine's red, with a white roof, and white stripes on the bonnet. Typical Mini Cooper.
Old 18 Aug 2003, 21:07 (Ref:691639)   #17
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Hobson, pics of the Elise would be much appriciated
Old 20 Aug 2003, 02:13 (Ref:692772)   #18
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
I've just dug up my RC car, got it when I was like 12, one of those half-ass Tamiya ready-made ones...being a Mercedes fan, I got the AMG C-Class Team D2 Touring car, but repainted it white with some custom decals, it's got no springs at the back end and the fronts a fully compressed with about 6degrees of camber, still doesn't scrape the ground amazingly!
Still keen on an MP4/6, but they are not being made anymore....
Old 20 Aug 2003, 10:18 (Ref:693024)   #19
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Ok, heres the Elise. You may have seen it before on 10/10ths. Its the same as the Mini because the scheme is my race paint scheme at the moment. I've got an Volvo S60 with the same colours, but different design.
Attached Thumbnails
elisefront[1].jpg  
Old 20 Aug 2003, 13:08 (Ref:693216)   #20
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Bloody Hell! You really need a change of colour scheme...
Old 20 Aug 2003, 20:55 (Ref:693718)   #21
skid marques
Rookie

skid marques should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the idea of getting a Schumacher Elise, nice and simple cars with 2wd hence lots of oversteer and potential for steering on the throttle, but a mate has several old 1/8 cars such as a PB Serpent that have so much more acceleration and are faster round a course 'cos they're 4wd. Long term what's the best fun?
Old 21 Aug 2003, 11:57 (Ref:694271)   #22
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Simple, to go quick over a lap, 4wd will be much faster because of increased corner speeds with the extra traction.

2wd is fun because of the lack of grip, and as you say, steering the car on the throttle. However, I like the challenge of getting the Elise to go quick. Only if you saw the price of the upgrades for it, you'd be surprised! (£50 for a set of racing tyrs and wheels!)

Pirenzo, for next season, I'm considering painting all my cars chrome, I'm getting a bit bored with white/orange/gunmetal.
Old 21 Aug 2003, 12:03 (Ref:694282)   #23
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
For the tech heads, heres my Schumacher Mission. Its a 4wd 1/10 scale touring car.
Attached Thumbnails
missionchassis3.jpg  
Old 21 Aug 2003, 12:08 (Ref:694290)   #24
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
And heres a body I painted this Tuesday for my brother, he has my old Losi XXXS 1/10 touring car. He likes the BTCC MG's, but you can't get an offical MG body, just some fake rip-off. He decided to get me to put the MG design on a body he like the way it handles - an Alfa 156.

BTW, the flames are all painted......
Attached Thumbnails
alfalight[1].jpg  
Old 21 Aug 2003, 12:22 (Ref:694322)   #25
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Nice.

My Mini is FWD, and i got it going flat out all the way round our local track (which i'm not supposed to use because i'm not a member, but i use it anyway)