Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Aug 2000, 11:58 (Ref:32092)   #1
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently Bernie's forthcoming bio has been withdrawn due to objections from Bernie. Among the things he objects to is the statement that he gave a million quid to the party in power to ensure that F1 was exempt from the ban on tobacco advertising.

Can anyone direct me to any links or other information on this subject?

Also if you are Brazilian and you can tell me more about the ban on tobacco advertising in Brazil, when it took effect and whether there was any fuss about it in the press, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Old 22 Aug 2000, 13:23 (Ref:32113)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On the subject of the ££££ he gave a large sum to the Labour party and there was a huge furore about it over here.

Old 22 Aug 2000, 14:09 (Ref:32122)   #3
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From F1 News:

Quote:
A biography of Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone has been pulled from publication, after legal wrangles and allegations against the author by Ecclestone, according to a report in London's The Times newspaper.

The book, Bernie's Game, was commissioned by publisher Little, Brown, in 1997. It would reveal how Ecclestone had managed to gain such control over Formula One, a situation that is unique in world sport, after first making his mark as a motorbike dealer in his twenties.

Among several claims made in the book, is that the donation of one million pounds to the British Labour Party before the last election was an attempt to ensure Formula One was exempted from the banning of tobacco advertising, a claim which Ecclestone denies: "I gave the money because I was asked to by a third party," said Ecclestone last weekend, noting: "I've always been Tory, though I actually think now that all Blair has been as prime minister is watered-down old Conservatism."

The author of the book, Terry Lovell, an investigative reporter who has previously had books published on privacy and the Church of England's finances, recalled a confrontational telephone call from Ecclestone, while the publisher Little, Brown had received "belligerent" lawyer's letters sent by Schilling & Lom, acting for both Ecclestone and friend FIA President Max Mosley, with at least one of these letters on behalf of Mosley threatening to stop the book.

Although he has not seen the book, Ecclestone is believed to be worried about claims made about his business dealings in the 1970s and 1980s, with Ecclestone protesting, "There's nothing there. I can also give you my 100% honour that I've never cheated anybody in my life."

Lovell interviewed 65 people for the book, including people formerly involved in Formula One, business associates and other members of Ecclestone's family, including his first wife and their daughter. These last interviews antagonised Ecclestone, with Lovell claiming that Ecclestone telephoned him, saying that he would "come after me 'with guns blazing - anything I can lay my hands on' for allegedly causing his family aggravation".

Ecclestone confirmed that he did make the call, adding, "I might have said something about guns blazing, but it's rubbish to suggest that I was being threatening. I was upset because of my family. He'd been snooping around them. But I also wanted to be reasonable with him."

Last week, Little, Brown and author Lovell agreed to cancel the book, which had originally been delivered 18 months ago. Editorial director of Little, Brown, Alan Sampson, agreed that the publisher's lawyers had delayed publication of the book. "I'm sure we could have resolved the issues, but I also felt the book was time-sensitive as we were now going to miss another grand prix season."

Robert Smith, author Terry Lovell's agent, hasn't given up on having the book published, and has said he will take the book to other publishers.
Well there ya go! 'Time Sensitive' seems to mean that sales wouldn't be quite as strong as they could be at the beginning of a season! Why is that? Fan anticipation? (Hungry for news, any news?)
Why is there a particular time that is sensitive? The Labour election is long over... What do you reckon Bernie has to hide?
Old 22 Aug 2000, 23:15 (Ref:32211)   #4
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That is exactly what I want to find out - what does he have to hide? Who is the "third party" who asked him to give the money - a tobacco magnate? For what purpose? Is this another case like that spy book that was eventually published in the USA and became a best seller BECAUSE it was banned in Britain?

Old 23 Aug 2000, 21:58 (Ref:32403)   #5
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie has a lot to hide, but it has nothing to do with the cigarette thing...It goes back to when he was racing F3! A lot of the money he has today, he got back then...and now it collected a lot of interest!
How do you think he went from a struggling F3 driver to Brabham team owner to multi-millionaire!

Let's see if anbody could guess what I'm talking about? They made a movie about it & an article was written in Motorsport last year about one of his friends, who also raced F3, who spent time in jail for it....Hint, Hint ;-)

Old 24 Aug 2000, 10:18 (Ref:32474)   #6
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think you must be talking about his friend 'Weasle' James, who raced F3. I have heard those rumours too, but its probably best not elaborated on in print.

Interestingly, there was an article in The Economist about a month ago talking about F1 finances and Bernies part in them.

Someone started a thread with a link to the article, I'll see if I can find it. It made fascinating (staggering) reading.