Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 15 Dec 2009, 23:36 (Ref:2600476)   #1
Downoz
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Downoz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TV figures for Sydney 500

Sydney's Sunday audience one third of Bathurst

The OzTAM TV figures tell a very different story about the Sydney Telstra 500 than the urgers would have had us believe
Special report
December 8, 2009

For all the hype about the enormity of the Sydney Telstra 500, it was not reflected in the television audience. The Sunday viewing averages for the Homebush event were below those of the Perth round of the V8 Supercar Championship two weeks earlier.
While the key average in the five mainland capital cities was 401,000 on Saturday and the national average (which adds regional viewers) was 579,000 that day, those numbers slipped to 390,000 and 562,000 on Sunday.
The drivers' championship having been clinched on Saturday by Jamie Whincup would not have helped the Sunday figures.
The Sunday numbers for Perth two weeks earlier were 487,000 (five capitals) and 718,000 (national).
V8 Supercar telecaster the Seven network claimed the Sydney Telstra 500 audience was up 4.5 per cent on last year's grand finale (which included Mark Skaife's retirement from full-time racing) at Oran Park. Seven also proclaimed it had "strong audience shares" last weekend against the second cricket Test and outpointed the Australian Open golf.
Yes, the golf, also in Sydney and shown on the Ten network, averaged 276,000 across the five capitals on Sunday -- 114,000 less than the V8s.
However, the cricket -- screened on the Nine network and in which Australia has been playing a West Indies team that was being seen as an easybeat (even if that has subsequently proved otherwise) -- averaged 649,000 on Sunday -- 259,000, or 66.4 per cent, more than the V8s.
The V8 numbers would have been better, probably considerably better, if the drivers' championship had gone to the wire on Sunday -- and that is how and where there's scope for improvement next year. But the reality is that the five capitals average on Sunday for an event some of the hype merchants declared was "Bathurst coming to Australia's biggest city" was only one-third of that (1.182 million) two months earlier for the 1000km classic at Mt Panorama.
So Homebush has a long, long way to go to challenge, equal or top Bathurst.
For the record, here are the five-capitals Sunday averages over the last five rounds of this year's V8 Supercar Championship:
Bathurst 1,182,000
Gold Coast 717,000
Phillip Island 354,000
Perth 487,000
Sydney 390,000
Old 15 Dec 2009, 23:54 (Ref:2600485)   #2
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Interesting figures Downoz. Not exactly the ones that some people were hoping to see.
Interesting is the drop off between Saturday and Sunday. While Saturdays play in the cricket suddenly changed many peoples view as to whether there was going to be a contest, I get the immpression that many people who watched Homebush on Saturday did not think it was worth tuning in on Sunday. The lack of good support action could be a factor in that. The minis are not exactly brilliant viewing.
I wonder how many people turned off on Sunday because of the hiatus in the middle of the Telecast for bike races, skateboards and so called entertainment?
Old 16 Dec 2009, 01:08 (Ref:2600496)   #3
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a thought: they switched-off because it was rubbish racing on a rubbish track. I've seen speedway races with less vehicle damage.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 01:13 (Ref:2600497)   #4
Alan52
Veteran

Australia
Glenmore Park
Alan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAlan52 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The news is even worse for Homebush in 2010 when it is up against the Ashes Test in Adelaide.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 02:04 (Ref:2600513)   #5
NewsStalker
Veteran

NewsStalker should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the racing and track had been worthwhile, regardless of when the championship had been wrapped up, the figures wouldn't have dropped or been so bad.

But given that the track looked and smelt like Canberra - is it any wonder?

(Mark Skaife has a real aptitude for designing slot-car tracks).
Old 16 Dec 2009, 09:42 (Ref:2600613)   #6
Aarrgh8
Veteran

Aarrgh8 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony View Post
Here's a thought: they switched-off because it was rubbish racing on a rubbish track. I've seen speedway races with less vehicle damage.
Don't be too hard on Mark. He has to work with what he's given. Have a look at Homebush, and tell me how you'd have done it - keeping in mind the constraints from all directions, like the Greens, the RTA, the police, etc, etc.

Great event (from what I hear from people I know who went, even if they didn't pay). They didn't see much, but they tell me it was great.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 09:47 (Ref:2600617)   #7
NewsStalker
Veteran

Turn left turn left turn left turn right turn left turn left turn left - lookout narrow road - turn left oops too narrow...
Old 16 Dec 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2600650)   #8
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Waiting for the Black Wiggle reply---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Waiting, waiting. Oh well xmas is coming.
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 16 Dec 2009, 12:45 (Ref:2600713)   #9
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post
Don't be too hard on Mark. He has to work with what he's given. Have a look at Homebush, and tell me how you'd have done it - keeping in mind the constraints from all directions, like the Greens, the RTA, the police, etc, etc.

Great event (from what I hear from people I know who went, even if they didn't pay). They didn't see much, but they tell me it was great.
The people who didn't pay as you said in all likely-hood got their tickets as a corporate gift/promo so the tickets would have been paid for by the relevant sponsor/whatever. GST paid so no drama and the people you know get a day out of the house without them having to purchase the tickets.

Win win all round.

I've been to the Gold Coast quite a few times and I could have just sat there and complained and moaned but I walked round the circuit a few times every time I was there to see the race from different vantage points, went through the pits quite a bit, did some girl watching, never even looked at a big screen as I was too busy and I always had a fantastic time.

It was all about the the experience. Even had a drink and an ice cream in the old ANA Hotel.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 16 Dec 2009, 12:57 (Ref:2600720)   #10
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
All about the experience not about the motorsport - I hear you retro

As for spectators getting up and walking the circuit - supposedly no one ever wanted to do this at Eastern Creek, why would they do this at Homebush?
Old 16 Dec 2009, 13:35 (Ref:2600750)   #11
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Other threads for that, lets keep this one to the TV else I'll just merge the lot.

Add one to the viewing figures tonight as I have it recorded from overnight Monday to watch.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 18:30 (Ref:2600903)   #12
NewsStalker
Veteran

5 second delay transmission huh?
Old 16 Dec 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2600932)   #13
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
As for spectators getting up and walking the circuit - supposedly no one ever wanted to do this at Eastern Creek, why would they do this at Homebush?
Near impossible at that goat track.Most people who walk at EC are in the process of Leaving the facility.
Old 16 Dec 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2600991)   #14
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think the title being already decided would have been a big turn off for viewers on Sunday. If anything they would have tuned in to see a race with the "gloves off" so to speak. If you like watching V8's you will watch regardless of the title consequences surely.
I think it was either people couldn't spend 2 days in a row watching tele when there was Xmas parties to go to and shopping 2 be done, or they turned off during the cycle races or the tap dancing and didn't come back. No doubt there were some who would have watched Saturday to check out the new track and maybe weren't that impressed so didn't come back Sunday, but I can't work out why they would have watched both days from Wanneroo if they are only casual fans ?
Old 16 Dec 2009, 23:06 (Ref:2601025)   #15
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewsStalker View Post
If the racing and track had been worthwhile, regardless of when the championship had been wrapped up, the figures wouldn't have dropped or been so bad.

But given that the track looked and smelt like Canberra - is it any wonder?

(Mark Skaife has a real aptitude for designing slot-car tracks).
I don't think it was as bad as Canberra. But not anywhere as good as they made it out to be before it was built.

Skaife I thought had a hand in the Townsville track and I thought that was awesome.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 01:19 (Ref:2601087)   #16
stoned pony
Veteran

Vanuatu
Chained to my desk
stoned pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarrgh8 View Post

How would I have done it? I'd have asked the teams and the audience to go 20 minutes further west to a plac e called Eastern creek, thereby saving the people of NSW $30 million a year and giving the drivers a proper track on which to race.

"Race": it means to compete with each other rather than try not to hang the car off the Turn 8 wall or deal with the stupidity Matthew White nicknamed "The Dog's Leg".
Old 17 Dec 2009, 02:32 (Ref:2601099)   #17
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned pony View Post
How would I have done it? I'd have asked the teams and the audience to go 20 minutes further west to a plac e called Eastern creek, thereby saving the people of NSW $30 million a year and giving the drivers a proper track on which to race.
You're entitled to your opinion but you need to get your facts right. It is 30 mill capped OVER 5 YEARS, not 30 mill per year.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 04:22 (Ref:2601115)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Near impossible at that goat track.Most people who walk at EC are in the process of Leaving the facility.
Anyone not backing Homebush seems to be tabbed as an ARDC member... i'm just wondering where my membership is? Is it in the mail?

I'm trying to work out how it's near impossible to walk Eastern Creek? The Creek doesn't seem to have much trouble drawing in crowds for concerts either... they even go onto the track for it
Old 17 Dec 2009, 04:46 (Ref:2601120)   #19
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Anyone not backing Homebush seems to be tabbed as an ARDC member... i'm just wondering where my membership is? Is it in the mail?

I'm trying to work out how it's near impossible to walk Eastern Creek? The Creek doesn't seem to have much trouble drawing in crowds for concerts either... they even go onto the track for it
Problem is you are stuck there when you do go there..dreadful place. Best view is exiting the facility.
Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion but you need to get your facts right. It is 30 mill capped OVER 5 YEARS, not 30 mill per year.
Correct.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 05:06 (Ref:2601125)   #20
NewsStalker
Veteran

Quote:
It is 30 mill capped OVER 5 YEARS, not 30 mill per year.
$30 million is $30 million - regardless of whether it is over 5 years, each year or a hundred years.

It is still $31 million too much to be spent on a temporary circuit.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 05:13 (Ref:2601127)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Ryan View Post
Problem is you are stuck there when you do go there..dreadful place. Best view is exiting the facility.
Where is there to go in the Homebush Olympic Precinct?
Old 17 Dec 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2601128)   #22
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
[mod]
ENOUGH!

This topic is for teev ratings.

If you want to bleat and moan about the demise of V8Supercar, wasting NSW Government money or any other junk not to do with whether the event rated well on the teev, start another thread

But be careful. This is getting VERY TIRESOME to read every single post saying how bad the event is.

It was a good event. We can make it better. There is a thread about that too!!!

[/mod]

Old 17 Dec 2009, 05:18 (Ref:2601129)   #23
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
It is still $31 million too much to be spent on a temporary circuit.
$40 million + on a white elephant. WSID and the Kart track are the best things to come out of that abomination. Hopefully Paramatta Speedway can be relocated there and allow the whole site to become a valueable contribution to motorsport in Sydney.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 13:38 (Ref:2601299)   #24
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, score 1½ here for viewing figures.

Watched the first race in full. Inordinately dull punctuated by dumb crashes.

Watched most of the second at x12 speed, stopping only to check the dumb crashes.
Old 17 Dec 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2601320)   #25
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
LOL at Woolley. You can't say that, it was the most awesome event ever. Just ask Cromley