Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 4 Aug 2011, 09:57 (Ref:2935712)   #1
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brads Crash

Just out of curiosity:

Why:

Keselowski’s crash is expected to again call into question NASCAR’s testing rules, which forbid testing at any venue that hosts a NASCAR-sanctioned event.
The rules force teams to test at older venues with lower safety standards, including the Road Atlanta road course and ovals such as Texas World Speedway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	363600240-344x224.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	34282

Click image for larger version

Name:	363597875-344x224.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	34283
Old 4 Aug 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2935822)   #2
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You do realize that those "lower safety standards" at Road ATL are good enough for the same sportscars that race at Le Mans? In Brad's own words,
Quote:
Guess I needed a reminder," he posted, "... this racing (stuff) is still dangerous.
Granted, I see your point here, that this could and should raise questions regarding safety but even the outdated Road ATL is as safe or safer than most speedways for stockcars...and Brad didn't get hurt THAT bad so NASCAR will do nothing, per their standards.

Thanks for posting the pics as I have been wondering where it happened; looks to me like the bottom of the esses, which is a place that is never good to get off the grey stuff. Everything I read stated that where he hit, there were no "safety" barriers, but I see tires in that pic above.

And that is one mangled up racecar. Glad Brad is mostly OK and looks like he'll be in the Blue Deuce at Pocono.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 15:55 (Ref:2935857)   #3
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
You do realize that those "lower safety standards" at Road ATL are good enough for the same sportscars that race at Le Mans?
^ This.

RdATL is a tough place to screw up. Racing is dangerous. If the locals are man enough to run around Kershaw, Hickory, etc. every weekend, why not Nascar?

Also I have seen several articles about it not being a safer barrier. No ****. It's better, it's a tire wall.
Old 4 Aug 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2935913)   #4
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
UPDATE: Statement from Penske Racing "Due to Brad Keselowski's accident while testing at Road Atlanta yesterday, he will not participate in the NASCAR Nationwide Series race this weekend at Iowa Speedway. Parker Kligerman will practice the #22 Discount Tire Dodge Challenger on Friday, while Sam Hornish Jr. will qualify and race the car on Saturday. Penske Racing will continue to evaluate Brad's condition. Further information will be provided as it becomes known."(Penske Racing)(8-4-2011)
Reading between the lines, it sounds like Penske wants to keep Hornish at Pocono incase Brad cannot practice the car. I wouldn't be surprised if Kligerman raced the car at Iowa.

But yes, J.Hamilton, I read that BS from Tom Jensen about "no safer barrier" and thought what an idot.
Old 5 Aug 2011, 00:24 (Ref:2936010)   #5
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BK is cleared to race.
Old 8 Aug 2011, 23:53 (Ref:2937458)   #6
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
The thing with Brad was sort of like the "big bullet theory". LMP1 cars used to top out there at about 180mph going into turn 1 (where I think the accident happened according to Speed), while a Sprint Cup car will probably top out at about 150-160 or so, maybe more.

But a Sprint Cup car weighs nearly twice as much as an LMP1, and doesn't have a lot of things up front to break to absorb energy. After you crush the front bumper cover, fenders, hood and the radiator/oil cooler assembly, about the only thing that's left is the engine and engine bearer/suspension assembly. Those rigid items don't absorb a lot of force, hence why Brad fractured that ankle and has a sore back and neck, even with the HANS.

The fact that he won Pocono this weekend, though shows how Brad gutted it out and that he wasn't injured worse than he was.