Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 14 May 2007, 08:49 (Ref:1912937)   #1
amier
Racer

amier has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Ards at Brands & driver Tuition (merged)

Im about to book my ARDS course, just wanted to know what the Brands circuit is like to learn, as I have never been there. Anywhere I can find out about braking points and lines etc?

Also for the theory, I know I need to know the flags inside out, but what other things should I read up on? any tips pointers would be appreciated.
Old 14 May 2007, 09:21 (Ref:1912957)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I can't help you on the circuit side, but on the theory part, after the flags the questions really are common sense / general motorsport knowledge.

For example one of the questions I got was along the lines of:

You drop your helmet and it cracks, what should you do ?

A - Keep on using it, it won't matter
B - Try and cover up the cracks and sell it to another competitor
C - Dispose of it and buy a new one immediately

etc..
Old 14 May 2007, 10:40 (Ref:1913017)   #3
tristancliffe
Veteran

United Kingdom
Norwich, UK
tristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridtristancliffe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Brands (Indy) isn't hard to learn sufficiently for ARDS. They'll show you lines and braking points, and tutor you a bit, so do not worry about this. You'll be so far off the ultimate pace of the car that you won't have to worry about anything. Be smooth, do NOT spin and you'll be fine!

As for the theory, touringlegend has it right. Flags are important, but everything else is straightforward and common sense. Resist the urge to tick the obviously comic answers, and a sense of humour isn't taken into account during marking!!!!

You'll be surprised how easy an ARDS is, so don't worry yourself.
Old 16 May 2007, 20:33 (Ref:1914926)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To backup what has been said above.
I suggest purposely not having any preconceived ideas about lines before going. Listen to the instructor, he'll know the car, the circuit and he'll be testing you. It is more important to show you can drive smoothly and in full control by doing what the instructor says. You can always get it wrong later if you like.

It is a brilliant day, enjoy it and soak up information from others there.
Old 1 Jun 2007, 23:52 (Ref:1926614)   #5
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So i guess, if you spin, that's pretty much curtains as far as getting your licence is concerned?
Old 2 Jun 2007, 10:27 (Ref:1926766)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Pretty much, and so it should be!
Old 8 Jun 2007, 13:15 (Ref:1932281)   #7
amier
Racer

Ards at Brands & driver Tuition

Anyone here offers any driver tuition/coaching? How much do you charge and what is the format?

Cheers
Old 9 Jun 2007, 20:49 (Ref:1933456)   #8
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where's Simon Mason hiding these days....
Old 9 Jun 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1933467)   #9
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Eugene O'Brien seems to advertise in most magazines, but never used him nor know anyone who has.
Old 9 Jun 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1933472)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Lots of track days will have race drivers available to give tuition - certainly the case at Lydden, I guess other circuits offer similar?
Old 9 Jun 2007, 21:46 (Ref:1933508)   #11
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
amier Click on to my profile and then click on threads started by me and pick up the thread on "what makes one driver better than another"
It may give you some pointers.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:18 (Ref:1933844)   #12
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A few years ago Eugene O'Brien turned up at a race meeting I was at. He was there with one of his 'pupils'. One of the rent a car entrants offered him one of his spare cars that he just happened to have at the circuit (Cadwell). Eugene immediately put it on pole. I was watching..It was easy, he just used the brakes less and the throttle more!
The best guys in our series are no Fernando Alonso but they aren't bad racers but he made them look pretty ordinary. As far as I can remember Eugene wasn't even a particularly successful touring car driver...I guess he must have something useful to impart.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 11:30 (Ref:1933860)   #13
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Plus the fact that it could possibly cost in the region of £1,000,if the gossip is to be belived.Thats for one day,s tuition.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 12:20 (Ref:1933927)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Plus the fact that it could possibly cost in the region of £1,000,if the gossip is to be belived.Thats for one day,s tuition.
Seriously? You can certainly get instruction for far less than that.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 12:40 (Ref:1933949)   #15
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I,m only going by what i,ve been told,but that does include a DVD on all of you,re mistakes though!. I was up Silverstone sometime last year,Eugene did not have a very good day though,the car came back on a truck!I think the customer has looked at his DVD several times since.
Old 11 Jun 2007, 16:00 (Ref:1934133)   #16
jonners
Racer

jonners should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BertMk2
Seriously? You can certainly get instruction for far less than that.
Mrs Jonners, on occasion, dishes out very clear instructions for free...
Old 11 Jun 2007, 21:11 (Ref:1934411)   #17
mark roberts
Rookie

mark roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Another vote for Simon Mason.
Old 14 Jun 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1937190)   #18
amier
Racer

Yep, did my ARDS today and passed no problems

... I think I will try and get some tuition sorted out before I enter any races... as I dont have much race experience, only did a few school races back in 99.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 19:16 (Ref:1937897)   #19
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
www.simonmason.com

Tell him Rob Compton sent you! (that might end up costing you more though...!!!)

I'd offer my services, but I'm having some grief getting my ARDS Instructors licence renewed (still!)

Rob.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 19:50 (Ref:1937910)   #20
R59
Veteran

Bedfordshire
Talk to Simon Mason - he's the man! www.simonmason.com

Rob.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 21:04 (Ref:1937947)   #21
amier
Racer

As I dont have a race car, I think the logical thing for me is to book an open pit track day and do that. I shall contact him and ask him for rates
Old 15 Jun 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1937956)   #22
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amier
Yep, did my ARDS today and passed no problems

... I think I will try and get some tuition sorted out before I enter any races... as I dont have much race experience, only did a few school races back in 99.
Congratulations. How much track time have you had, racing or track days? If it's not much then it may be better for you to do some track days and use the instructors that will be on hand. This will give you some idea of racing lines, braking and car craft etc and will be a lot cheaper than hiring a personal coach straight away.
When you have had a bit of practice then go to proper private tuition.
IMO you don't need someone who will be expensive to teach you the basics.

As both your threads were going the same way I have merged them.

Last edited by Tim Falce; 15 Jun 2007 at 21:24.
Old 15 Jun 2007, 21:54 (Ref:1937979)   #23
amier
Racer

Thanks dude..yep I combined it with a track day, I did about 6 or 7 laps in my GTR just to get a feel of the track learn the basic lines, braking points etc and went into the Megan with the ARDS instructor and did the test he told me to do 3 or 4 unprompted laps and he was happy with it.

Paddock Hill bend is the only corner Im still finding a bit tricky on braking and approach, mid corner and exit are fine. I thought the corners from Surtees to Clearways would be harder, but I managed to get the hang of those...
Old 15 Jun 2007, 22:01 (Ref:1937983)   #24
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by amier

Paddock Hill bend is the only corner Im still finding a bit tricky on braking and approach, mid corner and exit are fine. I thought the corners from Surtees to Clearways would be harder, but I managed to get the hang of those...
Errr, don't worry, I've been racing 6 or 7 years and I still find new and interesting lines and braking points for Brands and every other circuit I go to.
Old 16 Jun 2007, 00:03 (Ref:1938051)   #25
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
amier I've been racing a "little" bit longer and when I get the hang of a track they go and alter it !
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !