Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > National & International Single Seaters

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 14 Jul 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2250735)   #11
the sniper
Veteran

European Union
Birmingham
the sniper has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have had a quick read though the F2 regulations. I have to say I am really disappointed, not only is it another single make formula but this one shakes the foundations on which Formula racing is built upon.

Here are some quotes from the invitation to tender.

Quote:
The PROVIDER undertakes to paint the areas of the visible surface of the PRODUCT (and any spare parts) that are allocated to the COMPETITORS in a neutral manner. At each OFFICIAL TESTING and EVENT, the COMPETITORS will then be permitted to add stickers containing the branding of their own sponsors to these sections of the car provided always that such stickers are removed on completion of the relevant OFFICIAL TESTING or EVENT and the PRODUCT is returned to the PROVIDER clean of such stickers.
Quote:
- at events and official testing, the only adjustments competitors will be
permitted to make to the car will be minor adjustments to the cars’ “set-up”.
To me it seems that the teams are reduced to little more the sticker appliers (and removers). Why even have teams? For the little they do they may as well not be involved, it just seems like a token gesture by the FIA so they won't get as many complaints.

Yes this championship will help drivers, but it will damage everything else. Why would a driver pay £1.2 million to race in GP2 or £650,000 to race in WSbR when they can do F2 for £160,000, jeez why bother doing Formula 3. I can see GP2 getting through this if F2 is not supporting F1, but I can't see WSbR surviving. Another issue with F2 being so cheap, it will attract crappy drivers with a bit of money like fly's to dog poop. The financial motorsport ladder is now Formula Ford, FIA Formula 2, FRenault 2.0, FBMW Europe, Fomula 3. I can only assume they are going to use some kind of (not so super) Super License i.e you have to be in the top 5 of a F3 championship or champion in FBMW Europe to enter F2.

The removal of team's from Formula 1 feeder series will eventually have an effect on F1, they will struggle to find mechanics with suitable experince. It also takes away channels of progression for teams hoping to get to F1, though there are few teams that do progress up the ladder all the way to F1, now they don't have the chance.

If I had been at the FIA laying out the plans for Formula 2 I would have done it very differently, I would have opened it to all chassis & engine manufacturers and teams with the hope of encouraging them into Formula 1. I would also have used this championship to test out the cost controlling methods that will be used in F1 in future and tried to get good TV coverage so more money could be made from sponsors.

For me Formula 2 is Max Mosley trying to leave a positive legacy without thinking about the long term negative effects on the sport.

Tags
formula 2, silly season