Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Jun 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1014654)   #1
swatty
Rookie

swatty should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Max gets tough (according to itv-f1)

ITV-F1 are reporting that Max Mosely has decided that F1 cars are too fast and that something needs to be done quickly.

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=30516

More rule changes will make this season a bigger farce than it already is, this strikes me as a "Knee jerk" reaction to Ralf's crash, which I thought was caused by tyre damage from debris rather than the speed of the car!!
Old 24 Jun 2004, 14:54 (Ref:1014659)   #2
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think is part of the drawn out poker game regarding his new proposals. In usual F1 style, since 'agreeing to almost all' of Max's proposals at the infamous Monaco meeting, the agreement is not so forthcoming it seems.

I think Max is frustrated, and see's that yet again apathy and self interest amongst the manufacturers and teams is hampering making a decision over the new proposals.

However, the FIA can introduce proposals under safety grounds, under which the teams have a deadline to either accept the proposals or come up with alternatives, which once again have to be agreed in a set timescale.

if Max Mosely can use the safety card to force through some proposals, it will set the ball rolling and any teams that oppose them will look unfavourable, if the reason is slanted as safety. Max can point to recent 'high speed' accidents to bolster his claim in the public domian.

Above anything else MM is a lawyer and politician, this way he can envoke a legal clause to bring forward his proposals and use the political pressure to steer them through. He know's that if he is waiting for agreement from all parties to move forward, the wait is likely to be a long one.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 14:59 (Ref:1014663)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The cars do need to be slowed a bit through the corners.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:02 (Ref:1014668)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
The cars do need to be slowed a bit through the corners.
Which is where the reduction on aero proposals come in, but once again some teams have built their 'advantage' on aero efficiency and aren't going to give it back easily, which shows the folly of having an organisation where complete agreement is required to make changes.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 15:03 (Ref:1014670)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:10 (Ref:1014935)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
Of course, if one of the big players opposes Max, it could put him in a difficult spot. Renault and Ferrari both have made quite a bit of ground through aero development. There would be quite a bit at stake, especially in going up against the latter of those two. Also, Renault is French, and we all know where the FIA is based. In the final reel, if you cannot gett enough of the teams to agree with you, you can't force the changes through because if you try, you won't have enough teams left to have much of a series at all.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:26 (Ref:1014961)   #7
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's no secret that Max wants changes in F1 fast, but he couldn't do it without a proper reason before 2008.

His attempt to bring the changes forward to 2006 has been met with some resistance from some teams, notably Mclaren and Williams (or rather BMW).

Hence, when such a "nice" opportunity arises, i'm not surprised to see Max jumping on it to force his way through.

Yes, it's easy to blame Max for doing so, but i do sympathise with him (though i still think some of his suggestions suck), that what Max and Bernie wanted to do to F1 is often being objected by self-interest motivated teams/companies, who are fighting for their own benefits, and not F1's benefits.

And at a time when team has shown lack of responsibility in operating their equipment safely (teams over pushing the limit of their cars/drivers), i think it is neccessary that FIA steps in to bring the teams back into line.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1015015)   #8
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I don't know about any teams pushing the drivers too hard. The main thing I've seen in recent seasons is the Japanese having to go back to less highly tuned engines, ones which actually would last race distances.

I would say, reduce aero dependence somewhat, maybe go to slick tires to increase the proportion of mechanical grip, and limit horsepower to say, 850hp (the BMW is running at at least 910hp). Another thing that would rein them in would be to eliminate all traction & launch control, and those semi-automatic transmissions.

Realistically though, I wouldn't pust it too hard to be implemented before at least 2006, and more like 2007 I'm thinking.

Seriously, there is no "safe" speed. There have been fatal automobile accidents where the impact speed was under 20mph.
Old 24 Jun 2004, 21:14 (Ref:1015188)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
They should just return to the 1997 regs, its simple...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 21:16 (Ref:1015192)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm more of a rose-tinted 1987 man myself...
Old 24 Jun 2004, 22:51 (Ref:1015342)   #11
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I quite liked the 80's too Adam.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 06:19 (Ref:1015573)   #12
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Me too !
Old 25 Jun 2004, 07:04 (Ref:1015587)   #13
65bc
Rookie

65bc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
its not how fast the cars are going its the saftey of drivers because anyone hasn't had a life threatning crash for the fia to even consider rethinking their saftey regulations towards the saftey crews.
Old 25 Jun 2004, 07:15 (Ref:1015595)   #14
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:"They should just return to the 1997 regs, its simple..."

Quote:"I'm more of a rose-tinted 1987 man myself..."

I'd bid 1977...any lower bids?
Old 25 Jun 2004, 09:56 (Ref:1015701)   #15
Morris 1100
Veteran

Morris 1100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1957!
Old 25 Jun 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1015728)   #16
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Max gets tough (according to itv-f1)

Quote:
Originally posted by swatty
More rule changes will make this season a bigger farce than it already is, this strikes me as a "Knee jerk" reaction to Ralf's crash, which I thought was caused by tyre damage from debris rather than the speed of the car!!
I wouldn't say it's a kneejerk reaction at all - Mosely has been looking to implement these rules since the end of last season, it's just an occasion like this is the ideal time for him to be able to force what he wants through. (see bit in article about safety clause introduced in '94)

Politically it's the perfect time for him to be able to force stuff through without requiring unanimity from the teams.

Personally, however, I believe that if F1 was to switch to a single tyre supplier immediately, we would see quick increases in lap times.

The speeds of F1 cars these days are purely to do with the stickiness of the tyres - nothing else, really. Yes, the aerodynamics are advanced and all, but the FIA introduced these new qualifying regs which have allowed the teams to safely run 3 or even 4 stops in races, turning them into sprints. Tyre companies have obliged and hence we see lap times tumbling by seconds.