Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Jun 2001, 18:07 (Ref:109640)   #1
Artwinter
Rookie

Artwinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Trouble With Ralf

The trouble with Ralf is that he doesn't have the confidence to try and out brake his brother going into a corner. Sunday he should of ran 110% trying to catch him even if he blew the engine up. I guess that watching Senna run through traffic throuought his career has made me expect to much of others.

Gwen
Old 25 Jun 2001, 19:06 (Ref:109654)   #2
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ralf = Damon?

The problem I see with Ralf is that he seems to be content in letting the car do all the work. This leads to him often losing it whenever it steps out (Brazil, Spain). His style for me is much like Damon Hill. You can see from the on-board shots that he always has the car virtually on a shoestring - extracting the absolute maximum without over-driving.

RS does seem tentative nowadays when stepping into the unknown and doesn't really show the same natural knack for racing as someone like his brother or Montoya. I think he is convinced he will make a mistake.

Although I don't regard Hill as one of the greatest, he was for sure a top 3 driver of his time and had all the skills required to be a WDC. I'd be interested in how much Ralf actually learnt from Damon, because he really turned himself around in late 1998 from the driver he was in 97/early 98.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 19:40 (Ref:109662)   #3
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Ralf = Damon?

Quote:
Originally posted by Raven
The problem I see with Ralf is that he seems to be content in letting the car do all the work. This leads to him often losing it whenever it steps out (Brazil, Spain).
I must just correct you here - it was car failure which caused his retirement in Spain, not driver error.

I think Ralf would overtake TGF, but sometimes it's just not possible. And the last time he tried to overtake him in a straight fight he was shoved all four wheels on to the grass by big brother. I'm not surprised if TGF's reputation is slightly off-putting when it comes to overtaking him.

But I have seen Ralf pass TGF on the track - France 99 was a notable occasion, especially considering that he was passing the Rainmaster...in the rain.

In some cases - like the Canadian GP - it is simply safer to bide your time.
Old 25 Jun 2001, 19:54 (Ref:109666)   #4
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree RG. More of an observation than a criticism, we know he can race. But you're right, it doesn't matter how you get in front, as long as you do.

BTW - MS had a car problem at France '99 didn't he?
Old 25 Jun 2001, 19:59 (Ref:109668)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
He did have car trouble at Magny Cours in 99, but a change of steering wheel fixed the problems. So his car was in perfect working order when he was overtaken.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 03:40 (Ref:109812)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem with Ralf is that he is a sportsman. He will have to get over that if he wants to beat his brother.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 04:31 (Ref:109820)   #7
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I'm surprised that TGF hasn't dived in yet, but I am sure he will think of something once he takes time out from eating his pies.
Personally, I think that TGF had psyched this guy out with his "we are brothers and we won't do anything foolish to hurt each others chances" spiel. I think Ralf has learnt the hard way last weekend, and from now on there will be no prisoners taken in his attitude. I think that his silence is more worrying than if he had told the press what he thought of his brother's move. This guy intends to win and he will be WDC next year.
As for Canada, there was no reason for him to be aggresive - he knew how to win the race already. In France, the muscles will show.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 04:37 (Ref:109822)   #8
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
IMO there is nothing wrong with Ralf's driving technique or his nerve..Just give the lad a chance..he does not want to make stupid overtaking moves unlike his teamate..

Welcome back Mr Button..Your car is ready for you!
Old 26 Jun 2001, 05:07 (Ref:109827)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I'm surprised that AMoffat hasn't dived in yet, but I am sure he will think of something once he takes time out from eating his pies.
This is what I meant to say -- stupid me!! Sorry guys, almost spoiled my joke.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 05:17 (Ref:109828)   #10
drexel
Racer

drexel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
ORiginally posted by Valve Bounce
In France, the muscles will show.
I guess this is round 3 then, and one that could probably end in tears (hopes David). I think MS is just giving RS a few lessons as there's no doubt he wants Ralf to be the next dominating figuer after him.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 05:21 (Ref:109829)   #11
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Valve Bounce
I'm surprised that AMoffat hasn't dived in yet, but I am sure he will think of something once he takes time out from eating his pies.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what I meant to say -- stupid me!! Sorry guys, almost spoiled my joke.

This ones was just a bit too obvious Valve - don't you think?.

. I guess that watching Senna run through traffic throuought his career has made me expect to much of others.

Gwen, talk about drawing a long bow. Ralf and the Late Senna.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 06:16 (Ref:109839)   #12
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally posted by drexel

I guess this is round 3 then, and one that could probably end in tears (hopes David). I think MS is just giving RS a few lessons as there's no doubt he wants Ralf to be the next dominating figuer after him.
Yes!! I think it will be round 3, not counting the time when Ralf took both of them out with a barrel role. Next time Ralf will push, and TGF will give way.
I doubt if TGF wants Ralf to be any good at all. Most posters here seem to forget that the greatest jealousy, the greatest hatred is usually between siblings. All this talk about how our mother will be happy and proud of us is all bull$hit. I think the father let the cat out of the bag when there was this contretemps between the two last year ( or was it the year before?). TGF has been playng mind games on Ralf just to keep the guy from getting aggresive - now all this is coming to an end. We will be treated to some great racing between the two Williams, TGF and DC. We've never had it so good because for so long now, we have had only two cars fighting for first place. Sad to say, I don't think Mika will join the fray, nor Rubens for that matter; just my gut feeling.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 08:10 (Ref:109862)   #13
ally
Rookie

ally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

The trouble with Ralf is he knows that to win first you have to finish. He also knows that he has to get more than half a car length in front of Michael to get him to concede a corner.

However, he would have realised that he had to back off at the start to avoid an accident - as Michael had already committed his act. The real problem is that Michael trusts him - I wonder if he would have trusted Montoya?

There is no question that Ralf is one of the few drivers - along side Michael that is able to drive around a cars problems. Which is why he generally is consistent in such an inconsistent car. F1 racing magazine gave a great account of the problems in Spain that led to his spin - although he ascribes fault to himself, others could see that the car was completely different in how he needed to drive than at Imola.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 12:59 (Ref:109931)   #14
Rookie

newbie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trouble with Ralf - and this is another similarity with Hill - is that, while he is undoubtedly a good driver, he seems to lack the ruthless instinct that sets the real world beaters aside from the rest....he is almost too "sporting" if you like. Also, does anyone else get the impression that he has just drifted into this career because it was expected of him? He certainly doesn't seem to possess the same passion for F1 that his brother so clearly has.
Old 26 Jun 2001, 14:35 (Ref:109950)   #15
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Trouble With Ralf

Quote:
Originally posted by gwen
I guess that watching Senna run through traffic throuought his career has made me expect to much of others.
Amen !