Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 20 Jun 2001, 18:01 (Ref:107496)   #1
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Getting a PS2!!!!!

I'm getting a PS2 on saturday with F1 2001 and Gran Turismo 2, what can I look forward too come Saturday night...

ps. What are the main differances between GT1 and GT2?
Old 20 Jun 2001, 18:31 (Ref:107511)   #2
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My advice:

1) DON'T BUY F1 2001 - you will be SEVERELY disappointed. Wait for GT3 next month and EA's version of F1 2001 in September.

2) Get your mitts on copies of Fantavision and Theme Park World alongside GT2 - they are the two best games available for the PS2 at the moment.

P.S And get a Game Boy Advance too!
Old 20 Jun 2001, 18:56 (Ref:107518)   #3
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Cheers MF, but I think I will get F1 2001 because of the DVD. I play GP3 so I have that for my true F1 sim, I want a nice handling F1 blast I can play against a mate.

Can you tell me some more about GT2, recommended staring car etc. I never had a PS1 but played GT1 on my mates system, great fun.
Cheers,
Damon
Old 20 Jun 2001, 19:11 (Ref:107523)   #4
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
If you want a good-handling 2-player F1 game on PS2 then get F1 Racing Championship because it features the full grid, rather than just 8 cars. The DVD which comes with F1 2001 is available on it's own. Don't get me wrong, F1 2001 is a fair shot at an F1 sim, but it has limited enjoyment and I personally haven't played it for ages.

Gran Turismo is better than Gran Turismo 2 and with only 1 month until the ESSENTIAL Gran Turismo 3 A-Spec I'd suggest getting no.1 instead of it's sequel.

GT2 has a lot more cars and some new tracks, although none of these are as good as the classics from GT1 such as Deep Forest. GT2 is also harder as a game - the AI cars can catch you up too easily and it is impossible to beat them. In the time I had GT2 (I traded it in after buying it) I didn't win ONE cup because it was so difficult. And yet somehow I had completed every single cup on the GT1 with gold. The graphics on GT2 are also a bit messy and not as smooth as GT1's. Therefore, since there is such a small amount of time until GT3 A-Spec, I'd go for the original Gran Turismo. And my recommended starting car would be either the delightful Honda Civic or the wonderful Honda Prelude - both second hand but great.

Last edited by Minardi fan; 20 Jun 2001 at 19:12.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 18:49 (Ref:109196)   #5
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Got it, played it, love it!!! What a console this is, the best investment I've ever made . Gotta go carry on playin...

BTW, Minardi Fan, have you played the Star Wars - Star Fighter game, is it any good, I'm looking for a good flight game that has good "dog fighting" abilities.

Last edited by Damon; 24 Jun 2001 at 18:50.
Old 24 Jun 2001, 19:18 (Ref:109213)   #6
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Believe me mate - your PS2 will be left sitting useless within a fortnight. Until GT3 and Dark Cloud come out, that is...

I bought Starfighter on the day it was released and got to the end in less than a day - however, as in all Star Wars games, the final level is impossible. It also gets very tedious and to be honest is very limited - despite what the developers said you can't fly anywhere you like, and the graphics don't exactly push the machine. It also could have been longer. My advice would be to rent it out.

I have learnt that at the moment it is simply not worth owning a PS2 as there are only 2 games worth owning for it at the moment - Fantavision and Theme Park World.

Last edited by Minardi fan; 24 Jun 2001 at 19:19.
Old 27 Jun 2001, 15:10 (Ref:110305)   #7
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I hired a PS2 last weekend since my comp was out of action and I must say i wasnt that impressed.

Its very loud ..just as loud as the fans on my comp..the games avialable here in Australia are not that good and it didnt improve my old games that much and DVD is not that new to me as my CDROM is a DVD player as well..so i wasnt really impressed and I will be satisfied using PS1 to play the games I have now until PS2 becomes a whole lot better.

thats my opinion anyway ..but maybe i was expecting too much
Old 27 Jun 2001, 17:39 (Ref:110363)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I only have an ok PC, no PS1 and no DVD so I bought the PS2 as it incorporated 3 things that I was looking for. As I have said I have been very impressed and when GT3 comes out next month the PS2 will get a whole lot better!!
Old 27 Jun 2001, 22:39 (Ref:110500)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
I too have generally been disappointed with my PS2. I'm already on my second - the first one's disc drawer got jammed and thankfully they replaced it at the shop without fuss. The game line-up is still **** and it's noisier than my DC, which is really saying something.

GT3 and Dark Cloud will satiate my gaming desires over the coming weeks though. HURRAH!!!

Last edited by Minardi fan; 27 Jun 2001 at 22:40.