Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 22 Aug 2005, 18:33 (Ref:1388602)   #1
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The new Istanbul track

I don't know if any of you caught the Turkish Grand Prix over the weekend, but the new Istanbul track is rather interesting. It is 5.378 km long and has plenty of racing room. The Turn 8 complex is very intriguing with up to four apexes in this corner. There are a number of overtaking opportunities as well. I think it should make for a fabulous sportscar racing venue.

The curtain closer for the LMES is looking very promising indeed.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 18:47 (Ref:1388613)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It was a good circuit the prototypes and the GT cars will look amazing through some of those corners. I can't wait.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1388649)   #3
Erki
Racer

Estonia
Tartu, Estonia
Erki has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Any inf about what at o'clock does the green flag wave? Day->evening would be quite nice I think.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 20:28 (Ref:1388696)   #4
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
That turn eight complex should be really something with protos passing GT cars! It is a good thing there is a lot of runoff there.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1388704)   #5
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Yep, should be a great race. Good track, and I think there'll be a lot of mistakes.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1388734)   #6
tblincoe
Veteran

tblincoe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely fantastic track and I would love to see sportscar going through the Turn 8 complex.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 21:18 (Ref:1388739)   #7
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The race should be good, just how good though remains to be seen. The F1 race IMO wasnt that exciting, the GP2 races however were extremely entertaining, but then they are 1 make single seaters and racing is always much closer thanks in part to that. How will sportscars fair? Well the LMP battles generally tend to get spread out rather quickly, even at places like Monza where overtaking is at its easiest. The GT1's and GT2's however with less downforce are able to overtake a little bit easier as they showed at Monza in FIA GT this year.

Im not saying the race wont be good, im just saying dont go expecting something great as it might not live up to expectations. IMO.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 21:41 (Ref:1388756)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Even if they do get spread out they will be an awesome sight through some of those corners. On top of that we shall get some on-board shots and be treated to the drivers attacking some challenging corners.

All that is missing are some trees.
Old 22 Aug 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1388774)   #9
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah Adam, it does look a bit barren. But the elevation changes were awesome and a nice surprise for a newly designed track.

The Turn 8 complex may even make the discussion on "best sportscar racing turn" once we see them run on it.

As for the field spreading out, I'd say that's pretty much a given over a 1000K race regardless of class. With that said, the LMES has some good competition and I expect this is true regardless of the circuit. But the Tilke tracks are nice and wide, which can only help a series that has four different classes going at once.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 03:03 (Ref:1388865)   #10
Net-Ranger
Racer

Mexico
Mexico City
Net-Ranger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Just imagine how the Lister Storm will sound thundering from the turn 8 complex to the fast section...wow
Old 23 Aug 2005, 07:41 (Ref:1388971)   #11
lemanfan
Rookie

Slovakia
Slovakia
lemanfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeas turn 8 is now my second favourite corner after Eau Rouge.
I so onboard lat with Alonso during the race and he was almost flat there. No braking only small lift of the throttle.
Old 23 Aug 2005, 07:58 (Ref:1388986)   #12
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I gotta admit that I actually turned on the TV to watch the F1 . Just because i plan to do the LMES race in Istanbul this year ..... it looks like a great circuit and good for viewing too . I can have Kebab's instead of fish & Chips there !!!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 08:01 (Ref:1388988)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
All that is missing are some trees.
I don't think Xavier Pompidou will be too upset about that at all !!!
Old 23 Aug 2005, 10:25 (Ref:1389124)   #14
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
i was thinking about the LMES race and how the LMPs and GTs would look on the track . i think it will be a super track for sportscar racing too

Ciao Marco
Old 24 Aug 2005, 15:18 (Ref:1390267)   #15
The Badger
Veteran

Has anybody any advice about Istanbul or the track itself even ?
Old 24 Aug 2005, 15:53 (Ref:1390295)   #16
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
Has anybody any advice about Istanbul or the track itself even ?
No idea on the track, although it does sound as though they need to do a bit of work on the access. That said, taxi prices in Turkey are so hilariously low it might pay you to book one for the day to take you there and back.

As far as the city itself goes, it's fantastic, although November will probably be disconcertingly cold and wet - so don't go thinking it's going to be balmy and Middle Eastern - it'll probably be too early for snow in November, but possibly not a million miles off! Opinions vary, but I like to stay in Sultanhamet and use the tram if I need to get over to the business part of town, Taksim Square, etc. If you really want to splash out the Yesil Ev is one of the more atmospheric hotels I've stayed in.

Still mulling over myself whether I'm going to go - must say I'm tempted.
Old 24 Aug 2005, 15:57 (Ref:1390298)   #17
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
It will be interesting to see what crowd they manage to pull in. If they have marketed it properly I would expect a pretty big turnout after the hype of the GP and that this is one of the first oppurtunity for the locals to see live racing.

Turn 8 looked awesome - getting the line right with 4 apexes must be really tough - then throw in a couple of GT2's and the sight of the prototypes through that corner will be awesome.

I wonder what the lap times will be?
Old 24 Aug 2005, 16:06 (Ref:1390306)   #18
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
they were doing 1m24-1m27 with F1. so add about 10 seconds

Ciao Marco
Old 24 Aug 2005, 16:17 (Ref:1390311)   #19
Boro
Racer

Boro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 8 looks like a Frankenstein creation after mixing equal doses of Pouhon and Spoon Curve
Old 24 Aug 2005, 18:12 (Ref:1390376)   #20
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
it instantly became one of my favorite turns

Ciao Marco
Old 11 Sep 2005, 16:02 (Ref:1404682)   #21
spectre200
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedford, UK
spectre200 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger
I gotta admit that I actually turned on the TV to watch the F1 . Just because i plan to do the LMES race in Istanbul this year ..... it looks like a great circuit and good for viewing too . I can have Kebab's instead of fish & Chips there !!!
Badger,

I didn't make it to the Ring as planned, so I'm thinking about a combined long weekend plus race in Istanbul if I can get reasonable flights. Problem is, I can't find any useful info on where the circuit is located or how to get there. Also, is the date still 12/13 Nov, as per the LMES website? If you have any advice, it would be greatfully received. Cheers!