Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Sep 2001, 17:21 (Ref:139702)   #26
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
It was never the "norm", it was merely possible. Today, we could never get it.

Now you know what Liz means when she says drivers back then were men in tempermental machines, not boys in radio controlled cars.
Radio controlled??? i thought they were on tracks
Old 1 Sep 2001, 18:23 (Ref:139736)   #27
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Lest we forget.

The real significance of that race is lost here but it was the very first win for a Turbocharged F1 car. What you have all missed is that this was for second place. The winner was about ten seconds up the road!

Jean Pierre Jabuoille was possibly the least feted winnner of an F1 race in the history of the F1 World Championship.

IMO this was the only time we could refer to GV as a great. The rest of the time he was either wrecking his cars or being a chicane.

However. Him a Arnoux really "cut the mustard" in that Dijon race.
Old 1 Sep 2001, 18:35 (Ref:139744)   #28
economy_waffle
Racer

economy_waffle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
puns puns everywhere...im scared
Old 1 Sep 2001, 19:42 (Ref:139774)   #29
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

IMO this was the only time we could refer to GV as a great. The rest of the time he was either wrecking his cars or being a chicane.

This is SERIOUS flamebait. I'll let someone else (who doesn't have a bios being Canadian) respond to this.
Old 1 Sep 2001, 21:17 (Ref:139805)   #30
Raoul Duke
Veteran

Raoul Duke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And people say that the only way to be a great driver is to be ruthless .

Last edited by Raoul Duke; 1 Sep 2001 at 21:19.
Old 1 Sep 2001, 22:03 (Ref:139827)   #31
Alan Jones
Veteran

Alan Jones should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
fantastic, thankyou very much
Old 1 Sep 2001, 22:18 (Ref:139837)   #32
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Inigo Montoya

This is SERIOUS flamebait. I'll let someone else (who doesn't have a bios being Canadian) respond to this.
Well it is my opinion.
Old 1 Sep 2001, 22:58 (Ref:139860)   #33
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Gees, is no one going to help me out with this one? OK then, I guess I'll have to defend the legendary man myself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett

Well it is my opinion.

Lets see what the opinions of others a bit more qualified to debate this than you or I were :

Alain Prost:
" ...with me and my competitors it's battle for pole position as that's important but with Gilles you will see a battle for everything ...[including] 10th place ..."

"He made the fastest start of anybody here. I thought he must know a trick ...all season he had quicker starts, no one could compare"

Jacques Laffite:
"I know that no human being can do a miracle. Nobody commands magical properties, but Gilles made you wonder. He was that quick."

Juan Manual Fangio:

"He will remain as a member of the family of the truly great drivers in auto racing history. Mr Enzo Ferrari, who is an authority on these matters, has compared Villeneuve to Tazio Nuvolari. Nuvolari in my younger days was the great idol. All drivers wanted to equal the great Nuvolari. They struggled to match but could only imitate him. To be compared to Nuvolari is to receive the highest praise.
Villeneuve did not race to finish, he did not race for points. He raced to win. Although small in stature he was a giant."

Alan Jones:

[just after having passed Gilles for the lead] "I've done it, and once I was into the lead I built up a bit of a cushion. But as soon as I backed off a fraction there was that bloody red ****-box in my mirrors again ! Villeneuve was unbelievable like that - I mean, he never gave up. He was the best driver I ever raced against, I think, and I certainly enjoyed my fights with him more than with anyone else, because I always knew exactly where I was with him. He'd never drive straight at you or edge you into a wall, or any of that stuff."

Is that enough? I can find more if you wish...
Old 1 Sep 2001, 23:24 (Ref:139880)   #34
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why don't we see this type of racing any more? Not just the aerodynamics - but they are not allowed to race that way - I mean the front wheel has to be cleanly past the driver before.....

Makes you wonder really when the sport was taken out of it and the cheque and rule book took its place....
Old 1 Sep 2001, 23:38 (Ref:139897)   #35
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Inigo, man, Peter got you... easy bait.
Old 1 Sep 2001, 23:57 (Ref:139907)   #36
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Ugggh,
<embarassment> so IT WAS Flamebait.

Missed that little wink. Sorry Peter.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 08:52 (Ref:140000)   #37
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Old 3 Sep 2001, 02:27 (Ref:140402)   #38
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario Andretti said the same things about Gilles. He said that Gilles would race anyone very hard, but he would never run into you or push you off (unlike certain German Fellows we all know well) - and also Sid Watkins said that Gilles would miss him by a meter on the track, but he would miss him ... he always knew exactly what he was doing ... it was the other people that inevitably messed him up.

And Enzo Ferrari called him "The Prince of Destruction" but he loved him like a son. Better than a son.

Even today Rene Arnoux talks about that race with great fondness. And that's what racing ought to be. Not Kimi hanging onto the steering wheel and trying not to overrule the Driver Crutches built into his car.
Old 3 Sep 2001, 13:25 (Ref:140603)   #39
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
"Prince of destruction", yes that what he was...

Like Mansell said yesterday, after the race, about TGF, Senna and Gilles:

"There are two of a kind; drivers and racers. Senna and Gilles were racers, that was much more fun to watch"