Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > A1GP

Old 22 Feb 2006, 08:08 (Ref:1528789)   #26
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well to be fair it depends on the speed doesn't it? if it ain't quick then obviously that isn't good for the team / driver etc however it doesn't change the appearance of the car

if you mean re slicks - i'd like to see slicks reintroduced into f1, not this grooved tyre slowing down nonsense
Old 22 Feb 2006, 10:10 (Ref:1528907)   #27
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have to agree with a lot of the posts here. I too was very sceptical about A1GP, but have been more than pleasantly surprised by the racing. The final laps of Sepang were incredible. Its been so long since we've seen big banger single seaters being driven like that... fantastic stuff.

I think I've sussed the key to it... and its something F1 could do with paying attention to. I was watching some footage of that major pile up in Silverstone in 1973. Before the pile up happened, the camera shows Jackie Stewart perfectly drifting the the Tyrrell through the old Woodcote. That car must have had next to no grip and handled like a pig. Jackie made it fly i.e. much more emphasis was on the driver. A1GP cars look like real pigs to drive too particularly so near the end of a race... add to that they can run in close company. Its very rare these days to get F1 cars side by side through corners yet those Lolas are doing it all the time. By making the cars inferior and very difficult to drive, you expose the driver's skill. Strange that its taken a formula where the driver as a personality is de-emphasized to make this happen. Still I'm not complaining... the racing's fabulous.

On the downside, the cars are very ugly.
Old 22 Feb 2006, 13:58 (Ref:1529080)   #28
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Completely agree Davy, cars which are difficult to drive greatly increase the level of excitement, partly because they require more skill to drive, and partly because they result in more action. A1 also seems to have lower downforce and less of a 'dirty air' effect. Evenly-matched cars help as well, whcih A1 automatically has.