Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 3 Jul 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1647350)   #251
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
For one team it's a sport. For the other it's a business. One team cares about the fans. The other does not. Team orders this early in the season is a slap in the face to the fans who'd like to see a race. Of course I could be wrong.
To be fair, Ferrari having both cars running in order makes any team orders a lot easier to apply. Where as for Renault, if they were to switch placed between Fisichella and Alonso, they would have needed to have given Trulli third place. As a result they would have scored one less point in the constructors championship. Regardless, I can't say that I'm to fond of team orders, but seeing as F1 is a team sport, I suspect that they are inevitable.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1647361)   #252
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read all the above post and I find the people here pretty crual in their evaluation of this weekend's race.

Out of frustration after JV's retirement, I myself turned off the TV at that point. I nevertheless watched the race later in the evening and found it not so bad.

There were spectacular racing incidents, a few overtakings, another Sato T-boning, cars keeping racing with duck tape holding the pieces altogether (MF1) and some "audacious" / dangerous moves (Rosberg and Liuzzi for instance).

The team orders deprived us of a better show but we have seen much worst in the last couple of years.

Your general pessimism makes me wonder whether this is caused by an overdose of f1 (races in two consecutive weekends) or by the loss of one's national team in an unrelated sport (I could understand that, France win over Brazil put a smile on my face for a couple of hours (Sorry Bononi!)).
Old 3 Jul 2006, 14:42 (Ref:1647364)   #253
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With regard to the posts regarding the race being restarted, it would have created a slightly topsy turvey grid, for my understanding is that any driver that switches to their spare car and doesn't take their original engine with them is classed as an engine change, which due to it being after qualifying would have seen a number of drivers being put to the back of the grid. Which would have made for a slighlty more intriguing race, in my opinion.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 18:49 (Ref:1647520)   #254
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Louis, I don't think football had anything to do with the opinions on the race. For example, it is Germany I want to see win the thing, and England going out (whilst I would have prefered them to stay in) does not bother me.

Add to this that Ferrari got a 1-2, and Alonso finished in 5th (as opposed to 3rd/4th).

I thought/think it was a pants race, but the result of it I am highly satisfied with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp356a
For one team it's a sport. For the other it's a business. One team cares about the fans. The other does not. Team orders this early in the season is a slap in the face to the fans who'd like to see a race. Of course I could be wrong.
I personally have no issue with team-orders. The comment of mine you were responding to was not a complaint about it (the possibility of it) happening, but rather an attempt to point out that all teams do it if they see fit.

All of them.

I also don't agree with "this early in the season". Teams should be allowed to do what they want, whenever they want. I would also argue it really is not that early in the season, when one considers the disparity between the team-mates of the two teams (in terms of WDC points, I mean).

In this particular instance, both Renault and Ferrari would've-been/were perfectly justified in doing it. Fisi was (seemingly) let past Alonso, since the team decided it was best for their cause, due to him being so much quicker. Ferrari (possibly) engineered Michael getting past Massa in the pits.

It is all perfectly reasonable to my mind.

HOWEVER, having said that, by the letter of the (stupid) law, team-orders are illegal this season. Just as they were last season. This rule has been constantly ignored since its introduction, by both the teams and the FIA, as was always going to happen, which just makes introducing it utterly pointless.

Well, not "pointless" I guess. It stops it happening blatantly on the line, which prevents the media/unthinking-spectators from going into a hissy fit.

What a sad state of affairs.

Last edited by Dutton; 3 Jul 2006 at 18:54.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:02 (Ref:1647528)   #255
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
If only they had stopped the race and allowed some cars to rejoin...
Concur.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:06 (Ref:1647530)   #256
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
Louis, I don't think football had anything to do with the opinions on the race.
Why do we have smileys such as this one on this motorsport forum then?: (I dedicate this one to Messrs. Robinson, Lampard & Gerrard)

Incidently, Michael himself made the link between his win and this weekend's football results.

Quote:
For example, it is Germany I want to see win the thing, and England going out (whilst I would have prefered them to stay in) does not bother me. Add to this that Ferrari got a 1-2, and Alonso finished in 5th (as opposed to 3rd/4th). I thought/think it was a pants race, but the result of it I am highly satisfied with.
I was just wondering as to why the comments were generally so negative. That there were far better races we all agree. To single out Indy as a bad venue as some people here did infer (not you) is, IMHO, not justified.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:14 (Ref:1647532)   #257
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Those emoticons exist for the football forum. I am not saying people don't have interest in the game. My point is I really don't think it will have affected people's thoughts on the race (it is a totally different thing).

Michael did not make link between the two. He said that Germany winning, Italy winning, and Ferrari winng the race added together to make a perfect weekend. Three good things adding up to a greater happiness, but that is not making an intrinsic link. Suppose that Germany and Italy both lost their football matches. Winning the race would've been just as sweet.

I tend to agree regarding the Indy thing. There have been good races at Indy too, and there seems to have been a bit of an unreasonable link between the race and the venue. The infield section is rubbish, though.

Last edited by Dutton; 3 Jul 2006 at 19:18.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:30 (Ref:1647541)   #258
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Michael did not make link between the two. He said that Germany winning, Italy winning, and Ferrari winng the race added together to make a perfect weekend. Three good things adding up to a greater happiness, but that is not making an intrinsic link. Suppose that Germany and Italy both lost their football matches. Winning the race would've been just as sweet..
I see, to state that: "A football win + GP win = greater happiness" is ok;
but to state that: a football loss + a so so race = increased morosity & negativism" isn't...

Quote:
The infield section is rubbish, though.
Pfft! Ask you plumber, there is no better designed plumbing system anywhere else.

Last edited by Louis B.; 3 Jul 2006 at 19:37.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:43 (Ref:1647547)   #259
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
The infield section is rubbish, though.
The infield section is pants!

Would have been better if they'd have used both straights on the oval and slowed the cars as has been done before turn 13.

And,NO! The Football result didn't influence my feelings about the race at all.It wasn't Hungaroring bad,but it was bad.JPM removing a quarter to a third of the field at the first corner obviously didn't help either.Way to go JPM.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:44 (Ref:1647548)   #260
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Increased, or decreased, total hapiness is not the same thing as making a link between the separate items.

A good result in football plus a good result in F1 is better than a bad result in football and a good result in F1.

That does not mean the result in football affects the quality of the F1.

The total happiness factor and the individual merit factor are quite different things.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1647554)   #261
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
And,NO!
I see, it still hurts...
Old 3 Jul 2006, 20:00 (Ref:1647557)   #262
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Quote:
Increased, or decreased, total hapiness is not the same thing as making a link between the separate items.

A good result in football plus a good result in F1 is better than a bad result in football and a good result in F1.

That does not mean the result in football affects the quality of the F1.

The total happiness factor and the individual merit factor are quite different things.
Indeed, one is much better being rich and healthy than being poor and sick.

*No clue as to where this is going to lead us but let's see...*
Old 3 Jul 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1647563)   #263
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Back on topic: As anyone else noticed Trulli overtaking a back marker under yellow flags after the Sato et al. incident?
Old 3 Jul 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1647566)   #264
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
He had passed him before the yellow flag. The yellow flag was for the first corner. The timing said Trulli was ahead at the line for the start of the lap.
Old 3 Jul 2006, 21:02 (Ref:1647590)   #265
BriannaBee
Rookie

Canada
Canada
BriannaBee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yazz
sad for Speed, Montoya, Villeneuve, Kimi - they could all have had a good race.
Montoya made the boneheaded move that destroyed so many other's races and made the race a real bore so no sympathy whatsoever for him. That said, I'm glad that he didn't get a penalty. Alonso is very lucky that Montoya did him a favour because Alonso possibly would have finished even further back had Kimi, Montoya and Heidfeld been competing, never mind the retirements of Ralf and Villeneuve. FA was lucky to get away so lightly after a poor weekend.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 01:18 (Ref:1647682)   #266
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
According to the Speed dudes, TG was going to make decision on future races on the basis of the success of this one.
I don't think that is true. I think the ball is pretty squarely in Bernie / Max's court.

TG gave a speech on Thur evening to all of the USAC volunteers at the track, and said that he was pushing for all he was worth to secure future dates at Indy. Again on Sunday after the race when TG stopped by Parc Ferme, he again said that he considered the race a success and anticipated meeting with Bernie to discuss the future of the USGP at Indy in a few weeks' time.

Incidentally, I find it interesting that both Charlie Whiting and Jo Bauer said this weekend that they hope the race stays at Indy. When asked about Las Vegas at the end of the startline marshall's meeting, Whiting laughed and said "what, and run up and down the strip? Stupid." In the technical briefing at Parc Ferme after qualifying, Jo Bauer said that he loves to come to Indy, and although they have had some bad luck there, it is largely not due to the track itself, and that there just isn't anywhere else in the US that he would want to see the series go to right now.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 01:53 (Ref:1647691)   #267
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
After much thought I hope that the USGP stays at Indy...The fact that the in field section is so totally different to the the oval makes for a challenging set up..Also if we would like to see it become more popular with American racing fans, leave it alone and give it time in one venue...
Old 4 Jul 2006, 06:39 (Ref:1647730)   #268
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
It would be nice if they could do something with the double-hairpin before the banking though.

It seems totally unnecessary.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 07:31 (Ref:1647762)   #269
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The whole track is a mis-match,it's like the Hungaroring meets Monza.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 08:52 (Ref:1647828)   #270
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marzF1rocks
Maybe if were lucky they will all fiinsh next year.
They did last year!
Old 4 Jul 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1647832)   #271
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think think we should just run it around the oval.. save for a chicane where turn 1 is, and a chicane on the back straight somewhere...
Old 4 Jul 2006, 11:59 (Ref:1647946)   #272
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I think think we should just run it around the oval.. save for a chicane where turn 1 is, and a chicane on the back straight somewhere...
Should be worth at least a couple of a hundred laps.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 12:31 (Ref:1647968)   #273
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
As far as I'm aware, under FIA rules circuits that are based on an infield course of an oval can only use on corner on the oval without much stonger crash tests, hence the road courses at Indianapolis, Eurospeedway Lausitz and Rockingham all have a turn before they reach the first banked corner and rejoin the oval prior to the final banked corner before the finish line. With regard to Indy, I imagine that it would be difficult to alter Turn 13 due to the postion of the pits and grandstands. As a result I suspect it would be tricky to incoporate significant amounts of the oval for the F1 race.
Old 4 Jul 2006, 14:57 (Ref:1648089)   #274
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
I truly fail to understand what many of you have against the f1 Indy track.

Yes it looks odd when you compare a plan of it with the plans of the other f1 tracks but why does it matter so much?

Personnally, I like it the way it is. It at least shuffles the card a bit for the World Championship titles (something no other f1 track has so far been able to achieve this season). Different tracks with different set-up / aero / reliability requirements is one way to ensure some diversity in car design and performance.

I don't recall any of you complaining about Spa eventhough almost all the cars were damaged in the first turn in 1998. I hear some of you thinking: "Yes Louis but this was because the start was given in wet conditions!" My answer to that is: Why then are you so happy or praying for wet races then if what you want is a track ensuring a race without too many DNFs.

For a rare moment, I almost feel sympathy for the FIA and race organisers trying to please the sometimes very inconsistent and incoherent requests from the f1 fans.