Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

View Poll Results: Which Team Was The Worst In Formula 1 History?
Andrea Moda 12 32.43%
Colini 1 2.70%
EuroBrun 0 0%
Kauhsen 1 2.70%
Life 16 43.24%
MasterCard Lola 7 18.92%
Onyx 0 0%
Pacific 0 0%
Simtek 0 0%
Other (Please State) 3 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:13 (Ref:1687086)   #51
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would say Forti, but I thought their yellow cars looked great, far better than Jordan's yellow cars. But I have gone for Andrea Moda. The name says it all really.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1687087)   #52
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Barton
Worst team, Minardi.
I could list way over 10 teams that were worse than Minardi.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:36 (Ref:1687134)   #53
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Forti lasted a good year and a half. They were at least fighting Pacific in their first season, even if they were struggling in '96 to keep up with anyone after Pacific quit.

They also hired Moreno & Montermini across 2 seasons, never have more teams folded than those that hired those drivers!

The Moda story is incredible, but I guess the Lola '97 effort does take the prize - I assume Phoenix Racing can't count?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1687138)   #54
safc_fan89
Veteran

Forti were still fairly poor. Montermini...I know he drove for Simtek, Pacific and Forti. Any more?
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:43 (Ref:1687150)   #55
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by safc_fan89
Montermini...I know he drove for Simtek, Pacific and Forti. Any more?
He didn't race for anyone else, but he was confirmed as the test driver for Lola at the team's launch, although they closed down before they had a chance to do any testing.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 10:51 (Ref:1687165)   #56
safc_fan89
Veteran

Not the best driver to hire then.
Old 20 Aug 2006, 20:54 (Ref:1687725)   #57
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Message for chatters; re Arrows/Footwork (ussually regarded as same team)

Yes 382 Grand Prix and not a solitary first place.

Source; Jacques Deschenaux Grand Prix Guide. The Bible.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:04 (Ref:1687942)   #58
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Wood
Grand Prix I know and technically not F1 but the most ignominious failure was the V16 BRM. Announced with much fanfare in 1946, not race ready until May 1950 and with the budget, access to technology and build resources that should have made it a world beater.

The car and team failed completely, its only major win being a heat win in a non championship race at Albi in 1953 at the very end of the 4.5/ 1.5 litre formula when everone else was concentrating on their new 2.5 litre cars for the following season.
All true, of course, but since BRM did go on to win races and a championship, probably not a candidate for this poll. As an aside, that V16 is still one of the most mesmeric sounds I have ever heard!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:20 (Ref:1687955)   #59
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I was about to write something about the Connew here and I decided to stop myself.

The trouble with this thread is that all of us are sitting here in the comfort of our armchairs criticizing people who actually went and made a go of it. Getting a car onto the grid of a Grand Prix has always been a monumental achievement and taxing every skill [commercial and technical] of even the most capable individual. Today its all but impossible. That's why Aguri Suzuki's feat is probably the single biggest individual achievement outside driving in F1 in recent years.

So rather than look down on these people... let's take a different perspective. Have a read of Barry Boor's account of the Connew story and reflect back on an era when a bit of 'can do' attitude could achieve miracles. Prepare to be amazed !

http://members.atlasf1.com/barry_boor/connew.htm
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:39 (Ref:1688005)   #60
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Getting a car onto the grid of a Grand Prix has always been a monumental achievement and taxing every skill [commercial and technical] of even the most capable individual.
Or, alternatively, buy an old Formula 3 car and still be faster and more reliable than the Life.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 23:06 (Ref:1688391)   #61
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble
The stillborn Sascha-Gordine from 1950's France, the 2.5 litre Bugatti driven by Maurice Trintignant in the 1956 French GP it's only race (ret.)
A bit unfair mentioning the Sacha-Gordine without recalling other no-shows from that period like the Cisitalia 360 and the Bugatti T73C.

And the Sacha-Gordine wasn't really stillborn: it just never raced! At least one was built, but Gawd knows where it (they?) might be now.

Bob Marley
Old 22 Aug 2006, 00:10 (Ref:1688407)   #62
Thundersports
Veteran

Balearic Islands
On the dark side of the moon
Thundersports should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed Brian Mcguire in his "Mcguire" had a horrific accident in the warm up for a Shellsport grp 8 race at Brands Hatch in 1977, it left the track at Stirlings killing himself a marshal and seriously injuring two other marshals. The late John Wickenden who worked at Brands told me in all his years there he had never seen anything like it........
Old 22 Aug 2006, 07:07 (Ref:1688488)   #63
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I tell you Moda was a shocker... Especially considering what they did to poor old Perry McCarthey...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 26 Aug 2006, 12:55 (Ref:1692768)   #64
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
No ones mentioned the Copersucars.
Surtees never set the world on fire.
I jump to the defense of Arrows,because if Patrese's car hadn't broken down first up it would have been a runaway win.
Old 26 Aug 2006, 14:17 (Ref:1692818)   #65
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
No ones mentioned the Copersucars.
Yeah, cos they scored podia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armco Bender
Surtees never set the world on fire.
So did they.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 05:03 (Ref:1693266)   #66
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So out of these teams which one do you think had the biggest potential but failed? I say Onyx.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 27 Aug 2006, 07:46 (Ref:1693311)   #67
ensign14
Veteran

Deception Island
Or Simtek, had they had better funding they could have gone places as their car was pretty tidy.
Old 27 Aug 2006, 09:02 (Ref:1693368)   #68
bauble
Veteran

England
Potton, far from the madding crowd.
bauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famebauble will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, there have been plenty of failures in GP racing it would seem and trying to pick a 'loser' will be an impossible task I suggest. It just goes to show that it ain't easy and puts the efforts of some of the teams that made it through to the circiuits and on to finishes and even into the points deserve a well done!

"It is better to have loved and lost, than to have never loved at all."
Old 10 Sep 2006, 20:28 (Ref:1707318)   #69
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although they achieved a lot more than some of the teams mentioned in the poll, the ambition and money to achievement ratio of ATS (either version!) wins - but the eccentricity of H-GS makes the "second" ATS the worst team for me.
Old 11 Sep 2006, 08:48 (Ref:1707683)   #70
Pete Fenelon
Racer

Pete Fenelon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Alan - yes its is covered in detail in my next book which is being put together at the moment, theres a untold story about the T97/30's. And some other cars.
An untold story beyond Zoran Stefanovic?
Old 12 Sep 2006, 00:46 (Ref:1708425)   #71
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR