Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Karthikeyan to drive for India

Narain Karthikeyan will drive for India at Taupo according to A1 Podium
http://a1podium.com/index.php
He's also getting a "good financial package" for his troubles!
Old 16 Jan 2007, 20:19 (Ref:1816912)   #2
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Good to have another high profile driver joining A1 GP. Sure his F1 career wasnt hugely sucessful but he wasnt at the very back of the grid, I remember him qualifying around 14th or 15th a few times.

I just hope he likes A1 and stays in the series, A1 is certainly attracting a lot of ex F1 drivers at the moment.
Old 16 Jan 2007, 20:25 (Ref:1816916)   #3
Red Bulldog
Racer

Canada
Beaver Bank, NS
Red Bulldog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, I was quite impressed with him at Jordan
Old 16 Jan 2007, 20:32 (Ref:1816920)   #4
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
excellent news indeed

but sadly the link provided is not working for me, nor do i see anything about it on India's A1 page yet

maybe i should jsut be patient
Old 16 Jan 2007, 21:38 (Ref:1816974)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can he be made an honorary Brit in time for the weekend?

Excellent stuff, Karthikeyan is a top peddler and his style should be exciting in an A1 GP car, heaven knows it was thrilling in an F1 Jordan!
Old 16 Jan 2007, 22:20 (Ref:1817009)   #6
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Can he be made an honorary Brit in time for the weekend?
I think he is an honorary Brit already. Ask Carlin Motorsport. He took the first F3 podium for them and was a very popular competitor in British F3. He should be great in A1GP.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 04:13 (Ref:1817151)   #7
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will wait for a more credible source however I hope it is true. He is clearly India's best driver and will make India suddenly very competitive. Plus he should be spectacular!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 06:40 (Ref:1817181)   #8
Peno
Racer

Peno should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully he can do well but it will depend on how well India's technical team will support him.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 08:20 (Ref:1817228)   #9
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3
I will wait for a more credible source however I hope it is true. He is clearly India's best driver and will make India suddenly very competitive. Plus he should be spectacular!
http://www.a1gp.com/News/NewsArticle.aspx?newsId=30272

is that official enough?
Old 17 Jan 2007, 20:29 (Ref:1817871)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's good news (and yes official enough! ), don't think he's a bad driver at all.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 21:10 (Ref:1817905)   #11
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
It's always good to see the "big" names appear in the series.
A1GP has had a reputation as a "feeder" series for career drivers - mainly because, I suppose, because that was a goal for those countries without much motorsport experience.
However, to enhance the reputation of the series it's great to see people move in who have had experience at the very top flight of motorsport in other series.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 21:26 (Ref:1817923)   #12
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes thats true but now the series is in danger of being known as "F1 rejects" a friend of mine recently said this, it does make you think, there are a lot of ex F1 drivers in A1 GP at the moment. Alex Yoong, Tomas Enge, Jos Verstappen, Ralph Firman, and after this weekend Narain Karthikeyan will all have competed in the series after leaving F1 in A1's short history.

Personally I dont think its as bad as all that but the series has to be careful as it could potentially turn out to be just that, a series for F1 rejects and drivers who arent going to make it into F1.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 21:29 (Ref:1817928)   #13
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No but they're all drivers who (sweeping stereotype) spent not that long (comparitively to others) in F1. If you were getting, say, the likes of Hakkinen, Villeneuve, Alesi etc then I would not be so keen!
Old 17 Jan 2007, 21:36 (Ref:1817936)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
F1 rejects as opposed to what? F3 rejects?

I mean, it's a great series and all that, but let's not fool ourselves by thinking it is offering drives other series can't. It is not a talent pool by any stretch.

At the moment it offers a good mix and will continue to do so, unless we have F1 dropouts for every nation in a short space of time...unlikely.
Old 17 Jan 2007, 23:28 (Ref:1818029)   #15
nkfan
Racer

nkfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
glad to see him racing again !!! ...i hope he does well !!!
come on !! brings us our first point Narain !!!
Old 21 Jan 2007, 04:55 (Ref:1820698)   #16
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
and he did, 7th in the feature race - good work narain & team india
Old 21 Jan 2007, 08:26 (Ref:1820729)   #17
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
He probably did best of the drivers with F1 experience,but it was a distant 7th.Enge was a disappointing and Yoong didn't feature.
Old 21 Jan 2007, 13:14 (Ref:1820913)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
I thought Narain did okay and it was good to have him there. The problem was that his performance in early testing flattered to deceive. We don't know good the car is, but it's definitely not the best. Even so, he set the second fastest lap in the Feature race.

If he's still around, just wait to see what he does at Brands Hatch! That's more his kind of circuit.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 15:13 (Ref:1830274)   #19
Kiwi3
Veteran

New Zealand
Beijing
Kiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridKiwi3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Partiva Sureshwaren will be driving at Eastern Creek as Karthikeyan will be at the Williams F1 launch. I guess Armaan Ebrahim must be out of favour now then.

Karthikeyan will do the remaining four rounds of the season (Durban, Mexico, Shanghai and Brands Hatch).

This is according to an Indian news website.