Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 7 Dec 2006, 06:14 (Ref:1783798)   #426
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does look quite nice. Does he have the intention of running the National Series next year??
Old 7 Dec 2006, 06:29 (Ref:1783802)   #427
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd yort
It does look quite nice. Does he have the intention of running the National Series next year??
Yes, He actually paid up for all the rounds this year but of course the car was never finished in time.
BTW He also has the ex- Win Percy Spa 24 hour Grp A XJS on the way from England for Historic competition.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 06:44 (Ref:1783808)   #428
jd yort
Veteran

Australia
On An Island
jd yort should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With him lapping within 3 seconds of Randle at Phillip Island so early into the Development of the car then it looks promising.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 07:41 (Ref:1783816)   #429
cavvy
Veteran

cavvy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Twr Xjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
BTW He also has the ex- Win Percy Spa 24 hour Grp A XJS on the way from England for Historic competition.
This is the car Tom Walkinshaw drove to the 1984 ETCC - probably not politic for Tom to have a drive, a competition of interest?

Having heard Gossy's XJS at Sandown, the younger generation are entitled to hear these cars with their drivers of note, hoofing it down Conrod.
Old 7 Dec 2006, 08:53 (Ref:1783859)   #430
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Robert Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard Darren Hossack say he will be tsting his new Audi A4 in Feb/March 2007. Unlike the SAAB it will be a spaceframe not Monocoque.
Old 14 Dec 2006, 10:06 (Ref:1790453)   #431
Robert Ryan
Veteran

I was just emailled details of the Brennan Spec Chassis used in the NZ Super Sedans , by Tony Jack the Secretary. Here it is:
www.brennanracing.com/html/br2_chassis.html
Old 31 Jan 2007, 11:27 (Ref:1830100)   #432
Phast Phil
Rookie

Phast Phil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why do not more competitors go to sports sedans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSA Member
That's a well balanced comment, to get new cars built the class needs to attract more new competitors. The problems that hinder this in my opinion are:

1. Building a national level Sport Sedans involves a lot more cost and time then any of the other national classes around. Also people nowadays have a lot more categories to choose from.

2. Once the car is built it needs to be developed which again involves more time. This won't appeal to people who just want to get out there and race. Again a lot of other categories have cars that are either brand new ready to go or that have only done a season or 2 of racing with all the development work already done.

3. The class doesn't get a great deal of coverage and for some this will pretty much turn them away as it is hard to get sponsors without good coverage. Some would be attracted by the fact that it's the fastest sedan category in the country while lots of freedom in the regs.
Getting the money to be a part of it is one big problem.

I sometimes wonder how many new competitors to circuit racing actually know that Sport Sedans are around.

I also sometimes question what attracts people to the GT championship. Don't get me wrong I think it is a good category but the cars are more expensive and are a fair bit slower then national level sport sedans, what draws them into the class?
Is it the fact that they can go and buy a GT3 or Viper pretty much off the floor and go racing with it straight away?
One, if not the main, reason is there is no manufacturer (or known manufacturer) of competitive high quality race cars. I have people contacting me who love sports sedans, have a budget and who would like to purchase a car capable of being a front running car. There is limited availability at a fair price. Most existing cars need a full rebuild to be reliable, they are worn out and need a birthday.

With the rules so open it is hard to build a base car capable of winning unless you put $200K of fruit in it.

The new rules allow body upgrades easier so hopefully that will assist in settling that arguement, but the class needs to standardise frame measurements if one want to buy a developed 100% composite bodyshell.

More work needs to be done over time. Not everyone that wants to race a sports sedan is a genius engineer with a bucket of money with the patience to develop a car over several years whilst being the SS equivalent driver of Jason Bright. We really need to look at making it easier and more fun.

It can be done over time but it will upset some of the people who want to keep living in the past.
Old 31 Jan 2007, 12:08 (Ref:1830136)   #433
Falcadore
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Falcadore should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Geoff Gillespie M3 is a masterpiece of engineering and a showcase of what can be done under SS regs. Sadly it won't race in 2007. After the late season fire the car has been stripped down into bits for cleaning and resotration. For budget reasons this won't be done quickly.

On the flipside - the Queensland Sports Sedan organisers have pulled a bit of a blinder for 2007. The entry regulations for the class have been relaxed and the Queensland Sports Sedan and Invitated Championship will be held over five rounds at Morgan Park in season '07.

Already there have been some vehicles step forward to join what was admittedly a flagging class numbers-wise with some old touring cars and some 4WD Japanese machinery looking at running with the possibility of some German exotica as well. Class based structure based on capacity and construction was being mooted.

I think the guys up here are to be applauded for thinking outside the box and already it's brought some people to racing that ordinarily might not be able to. The variety of vehicles should make for some very interesting racing.

For a long time the CAMS class system has deliberately or ignorantly ignored one of the biggest sectors of the performance street car brigade, perhaps this can be a step in embracing these cars.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 01:21 (Ref:1832300)   #434
ASSA Member
Racer

ASSA Member should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast Phil
One, if not the main, reason is there is no manufacturer (or known manufacturer) of competitive high quality race cars.
I'd tend to agree with you there as now days if your not involved in the scene it is near immpossible to find someone to build a complete ready to race car. In the past there were of course K&A and also Go Gear with the all those RX7s who built competitive cars, this though was a fair while ago.

Quote:
I have people contacting me who love sports sedans, have a budget and who would like to purchase a car capable of being a front running car. There is limited availability at a fair price.
What would you consider a fair price?

Quote:
Most existing cars need a full rebuild to be reliable, they are worn out and need a birthday.
I can 't say I agree with this point, there are still plenty of the older cars still leading the pack. Budget will always be the limiting factor on reliability because a lot of guys run parts until they break, they don't like in professional categories have a service life for parts on their race cars.

Quote:
With the rules so open it is hard to build a base car capable of winning unless you put $200K of fruit in it.
True but you'd have to agree it has never been a category for the budget racer, the rules stipulate that right from the start. Still even if you do have more restrictive regulations you get can get a stupid situation like IPRA where people spend $100K plus on a club car.

Quote:
Not everyone that wants to race a sports sedan is a genius engineer with a bucket of money with the patience to develop a car over several years whilst being the SS equivalent driver of Jason Bright. We really need to look at making it easier and more fun.
Yeah but all these characteristics would help if you wanted to knock off Tony and that rocket of an Alfa!!
Still cars with the level of performance that national level Sport Sedans have will never be easy or cheap to build/maintain/race in my opinion. Just the engine, brake, suspension and driveline setup hardware for a quick car involves huge cost, let alone a chassis, body work, plumbing and all ther other small bits and pieces.

Last edited by ASSA Member; 3 Feb 2007 at 01:23.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 02:57 (Ref:1832336)   #435
Robert Ryan
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah but all these characteristics would help if you wanted to knock off Tony and that rocket of an Alfa!!
Still cars with the level of performance that national level Sport Sedans have will never be easy or cheap to build/maintain/race in my opinion. Just the engine, brake, suspension and driveline setup hardware for a quick car involves huge cost, let alone a chassis, body work, plumbing and all ther other small bits and pieces.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is why there was someone who was keen to build "turnkey" cars(Phil knows who I mean) but unfortunately there were no takers. My feeling is this "benefactor" could have built some real "turnkey" rockets.

Last edited by Robert Ryan; 3 Feb 2007 at 02:59.
Old 3 Feb 2007, 12:38 (Ref:1832525)   #436
Phast Phil
Rookie

Phast Phil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sports Sedan Growth

What would you consider a fair price?

My observation is that some genuine purchasers consider up to $120K to be a fair price for a used sports sedan or Trans-am car. Some great sports sedans have sold for well below that (a fraction of replacement cost) but not too many takers for SS or TA over that at the moment.

Most existing cars need a full rebuild to be reliable, they are worn out and need a birthday.

That should have read "most existing cars that come up for sale".

Probably correct 50% of the time.