Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jul 2000, 19:39 (Ref:23244)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques Villeneuve is considering taking a year out of Formula One while he waits for a car that can return him to the top step of the podium.

According to a number of British daily newspapers, Villeneuve has had talks with most teams in the paddock but has yet to decide on his course of action for 2001.

Villeneuve is unhappy that he has not won a race since 1997, and with all the seats taken at McLaren and Ferrari next year, he may decide to opt out of the 2001 season.

BAR team boss Craig Pollock is keen to see that this doesn't happen: 'I've been with Jacques in a boat for the past five days and I know he's signed for no one.'

'He's in no hurry to sign for anyone and he's quite capable of taking a sabbatical because he's so hard-headed.'

Pollock is concerned that his team may not be able to match the financial packages offered by his rivals, particularly the new Renault Benetton alliance which is rumoured to have agreed a deal with Villeneuve.

'I obviously want him to stay with us,' said Pollock, 'we're working night and day to give him what he wants to get him close to McLaren and Ferrari.'

'Benetton is a worry because we probably couldn't compete with Renault. Jacques commands a very high salary because he is a world champion, but he doesn't care about the money, only winning.'
Old 14 Jul 2000, 20:21 (Ref:23249)   #2
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is lying, trying to motivate the team, or get more money. At the rate they are going I think that JV will be on the podium alot next year, maybe even a win. He is with Honda after all.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 02:14 (Ref:23278)   #3
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think that Jaques will take the year off. After all, what does he have to loose. If you think about it he has 2 options for next year.

1) He can race and perhaps he won't win but he'll earn his salary and he'll keep himself busy.
2) He can spend all year watching soap operas at his house in monaco, not earning a penny and eating.

And in both cases he's likely to land a better drive for the 2001 season so there's really no reason why he should stay out next year. Besides, I think he'll go with benetton next year.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 02:21 (Ref:23279)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There is little value in sitting out a season while in your prime and it has to be demoralizing to no longer be competitive.
What would do more damage to his career in the long run. Time out or time at the back of the field?

Perhaps a different theater,Sportscars, another year in CART would keep him from suffering boredom, but that would probably sound the deathKnell on his F1 career.
I think he would be best to soldier on at BAR-it will come right eventually.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 09:33 (Ref:23307)   #5
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I totally agree with Mr. S. I think this is a negotiating ploy - probably to get Honda more motivated/involved in teh development of the chassis. In all honestly, I cannot see jacques staying out for a year - he has nothing to gain.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 12:39 (Ref:23321)   #6
Mr.S
Racer

Mr.S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looking at the BAR's today (Saturday), I think it may have worked.