Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 27 Mar 2009, 11:54 (Ref:2426057)   #151
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Race 5 - March Hare All Comers Trophy

14 starters; 13 finishers.

A 15 lap race which for the most part was compiled of a motley collection of cars from the previous races. However, it is sad to relate that the non finisher was Harvey Woods in his Frogeye Sprite. He'd waited all day but failed to complete even the first lap.

Now Richard Austin has a son called Rob; I'm sure that will ring a bell with many. He was on pole in the Perana, so since we had probably the fastest driver of the meeting in the fastest car, the outcome, failing gremlins, was certain. He took the lead immediately, and was followed by Jeremy Knight in the D-type Replica who had a stonking start from 4th on the grid which took him passed both Jamie Boot in the Griffith and Chris Scragg in the E-type. What's more he held onto 2nd until lap 3 when Boot overtook him. Thereafter Jeremy had a pretty lonely race to 3rd, untroubled by the Scragg E-type which finished 19.5 seconds behind. In front, though, the Perana faltered and Boot pounced, so that the TVR had gone from 3rd to first in one lap. Austin recovered the lead but then again lost it briefly. However, whatever the problem was, the car settled, and was back in front at the end of lap 4 and then eased away to an easy victory over Boot by over 32 seconds. On the way Austin had posted a 1.17.52 lap, easily the quickest of the day.

There were some good battles behind and I'll refer to them in the picture captions. Below, the evidence of Jamie leading at the end of lap 3, the Scragg E-type in the background in Coram, so Jeremy is out of shot coming into the Russell chicane. Next, is Jeremy K on his own (sorry for quality of pic), then the gyrating TR4 of Pearson. Pic 4 shows the TZ1 again, Gordon McCulloch driving; he finished 10th, followed here by two battling Imps (mentioned earlier by Peter) - 62 is Jon Sandilands who finished 11th (Hartwell Imp) and 63 is Ian Swift (Frazer Imp) who finished just behind by 3 tenths. At the back of the group is Dave Devine's Lotus Cortina. He must have had a poor start, but made good progress forward, had a good dice with his team mate Pearson in the TR4 before outbraking him into the chicane, and continued through the field to finish 6th. Next is the well driven TVR Grantura of Tony Gaston which finished 5th, and finally, the winner.

That's it, folks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0880wb.jpg   IMG_0910wb.jpg   IMG_0849wb.jpg  

IMG_0852wb.jpg   IMG_0965wb.jpg   IMG_0951wb.jpg  

Last edited by John Turner; 28 Mar 2009 at 08:17.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 12:26 (Ref:2426085)   #152
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Discussion re Safety Car periods split off to here:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114501
Old 27 Mar 2009, 16:42 (Ref:2426253)   #153
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nicely done John .
its good to find out what happens in a race . you only know what you see.
shame about Harvey, nice man and a well presented car.
Old 27 Mar 2009, 16:49 (Ref:2426260)   #154
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great coverage [as usual] John.I'll bet A.S has'nt had such a report.There is ,I think,room for an Historic Weekly Mag,with reports such as your's John,there would be no spectators though!
Old 27 Mar 2009, 22:59 (Ref:2426508)   #155
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
I bought a copy of Autosport this week and i see they are asking competitors to send in their stories of the weekend's racing. What a great idea. Better get the spell cheque werkin
Old 28 Mar 2009, 05:27 (Ref:2426636)   #156
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Free reporting then?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:14 (Ref:2426862)   #157
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
No, Peter; the event still gets reported as before but the best 'From the banks' piece (about 100 words) submitted each week, gets printed as a sidebar; it's just a spectator's view, and is an excellent idea. Ollie Timpson actually reported on this meeting and had a page for his report, two pics and results. I'm guessing that my words plus pics would have taken at least 4 full pages as I don't have to discipline myself to wordcount/image constraints. It's simply not a fair comparison. I'm reviewing one event. Autosport, in the National section, endeavours to report all events.

A Historic weekly report would be complete overkill, Terence. A monthly would be good but not enough of us would buy it to make it work. Even 'Ingear' which endeavoured to provide full cover for club events failed through lack of sales.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2426868)   #158
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My point was that because there are so many people interested/participating in Historics,and the fact that even AS only give a brief account,I thought there could be a market John,however,if you dont want the job!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 08:37 (Ref:2426877)   #159
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
I know Terence but what seems like a lot of potential buyers is actually small beer, and you just know that a lot of those so called interested people wouldn't commit to buying it. There wouldn't be enough to sustain sales. Don't get me wrong; I'd love to see such a mag; I just don't think that it would be viable. As for my involvement; I'd be happy to be a paid contributor but since I turn 60 this year, I wouldn't want to start a new career of such time consuming proportions.

Jill Carter (where is she, these days?) started this thread regarding this issue last year:-

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...ric+Racing+mag
Old 28 Mar 2009, 09:37 (Ref:2426936)   #160
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
OK John,so no takers then Glad we're not over there today!!
Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:22 (Ref:2426980)   #161
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Indeed, foul conditions. Are you going next weekend for the CSCC?
Old 28 Mar 2009, 10:26 (Ref:2426985)   #162
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Not too sure if I will be able to go,usual thing of waiting on a phone call!
If I can,I will come over though.
Old 28 Mar 2009, 11:06 (Ref:2427009)   #163
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
No, Peter; the event still gets reported as before but the best 'From the banks' piece (about 100 words) submitted each week, gets printed as a sidebar; it's just a spectator's view, and is an excellent idea.
Hmm, the cynic in me suggests that busier weekends will focus on the more modern stuff, even if it provides less interest. (Although last weekend was an enthusiasts weekend).
Old 28 Mar 2009, 14:30 (Ref:2427119)   #164
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
It's in the National & Club section only, Peter, and I suspect will therefore be picked by Kevin and Ben, so I'm sure Historics will get a fair crack. Of course, you can only print what is submitted! Last week it was 750 MC at Snet; this week, this meeting.
Old 29 Mar 2009, 14:38 (Ref:2428148)   #165
delta
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
Reading UK
delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!delta has a real shot at the podium!
Over the years there have been a couple of mags / newspapers reporting on club racing but never lasted long.Jill's "lynx" is ok and i think looking to race this year.

Tags
masters top hat, snetterton