Old 27 Apr 2009, 18:29 (Ref:2450924)   #26
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc_nl View Post
Since I have missed live coverage of the race, can anyone give a short discription how Doornbos performed in his first oval race?
He was doing great (2nd -3rd) until his first pit stop when on exiting his pit box he clipped a tyre laying on the floor in the box in front of him, it flipped into the air and was caught by a mechanic, no harm done, but he received a "go to the back" penalty, from which he never recovered..

Bobby D will be ok on ovals...

My boy Justin on the other hand really needs corners going both ways to be in contention, that car just isn't fast enough.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2450943)   #27
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Steevp is right on, here a a couple of other thoughts.

The broadcasters did a lousy job of introducing a fast new guy to the viewers. He qualified second and was running on pace before the pitstop...and I believe Doornbus finished only one lap down, so overall he did very respectably.

Before the race, Graham Rahal had a chance to explain that his pit snafu at Long Beach was not his fault: the LF crew man waved him out while the car was still being fuelled. At Kasas, Rahal was in the pit box directly in front of RD, and they came in at the same time. It was Rahal's right rear that Doornbus clipped on the way out.

Both cars looked positioned properly, and I didn't think the displaced tire was in a bad spot. Still, I think you hang that costly error on the team as a whole for not coordinating their two drivers' stops better. And that's two events in a row where all the work they did to field competitive cars ended up going for naught.

That's just my opinion, I haven't seen any comment anywhere about this situation. If I was involved with that team, I would be calling everybody on the carpet.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 19:38 (Ref:2450994)   #28
jc_nl
Racer

Netherlands
Dedemsvaart
jc_nl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like I missed a pretty good race, to bad to hear about the pit incident. Good to hear that, at first sight anyway, Doornbos seems to be able to handle ovals.
Old 27 Apr 2009, 19:57 (Ref:2451015)   #29
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycuk View Post
I think rain had been forecast too, which probably put off the casual spectators.
There was a tornado watch yesterday and the weather looked to be a carbon copy of the severe weather that hit on Saturday.

Saturday, Vision Racing's Twitter said that a possible funnel cloud was heading toward the track but missed it just to the north. Everyone with the series had taken cover in the media center.

Fans in the stands weren't going to take a chance on getting caught in it for a second day in a row...I've read a number of posts on other forums from people who chose not to go and watch from the safety of their own homes, etc.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 27 Apr 2009, 21:50 (Ref:2451081)   #30
Keyfabe
Rookie

England
Leeds
Keyfabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Castroneves makes it look so easy, he seems to cut through the field without breaking into a sweat
Old 27 Apr 2009, 22:45 (Ref:2451123)   #31
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyfabe View Post
Castroneves makes it look so easy, he seems to cut through the field without breaking into a sweat
I was watching the race on line, via the Indycar.com website; not brilliant if you are in England but I was watching Castroneves follow Kanaan and eventually overtake him and noticed Castroneves took a very distinct racing line, not always running tight into the apex of a turn, just staying a cars width away from the edge. Facinating.
Old 28 Apr 2009, 01:24 (Ref:2451203)   #32
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Apparently Penske is on the limiter about Briscoe not being allowed to pit even though he was in the lane before the Franchitti yellow was thrown... Said he has never seen anything like it before and it cost them a shot at the win.

I missed the last third of the race - is this how it went down?
Old 28 Apr 2009, 02:20 (Ref:2451213)   #33
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, Briscoe did get burnt by the Franchitti yellow - was the only one who could match it with the Target car. Saying that, Dixon deserved the win, but Briscoe should've been in P2 atleast...